Goodbye DOI

IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
Forum Member
✭✭
I watched from the 1st series and recall some memorable routines - though what we considered dangerous, exciting or moving back in 2006 seems very tame in 2014

Does anyone else recall:
      [*]Series 1; Stefan Booth and Kristina Lenko - Mr. Bojangles; it was the first routine that completely captivated me.
      [*]Series 2. Claire and Andrei 'Since you been gone.' So disappointed that they didn't win.
      [*]Series 3. Suzanne - the finals; she and Matt held me spell bound that night. The best ever flying routine, the Music routine and Bolero - she hit her purple patch that night.
      [*]Series 4. Only one winner - Ray Quinn and spoilt for choice; Nothing's gonna stop us now.: Rock Around the Clock; Bailamos. Even then we knew we'd never see his like again.
      [*]Series 5. Gary Lucy and Hayley Tamaddon stood out as the best of a mediocre lot and I won't deny that first time around I was enchanted by J'ai Ho.
      [*]Series 6. I was a fan of Laura - but the routine that sticks in the memory is Sam's Riverdance.
      [*]Series 7. No one really excited me - but I must confess I was mesmerised by the beautiful lines created by Jennifer Ellison.
      [*]Series 8. Memorable for my bewilderment at the judges treatment of Beth and their inexplicable favouritism of Matt Laspinkas. Clown was unforgettable.
      [*]Series 9 and the last ever DOI. Ray deserved to win and I find it impossible to select a favourite routine.

These were my favourite routines - but not necessarily my most memorable moments.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        The thing was, when the ratings started to slide about the time of series 7, nothing could stop it.
      • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        petertard wrote: »
        The thing was, when the ratings started to slide about the time of series 7, nothing could stop it.
        True - like trying to stop an avalanche or landslide.
      • tangos_with_timtangos_with_tim Posts: 752
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        Ignazio wrote: »
        Does anyone else recall:
            [*]Series 1; Stefan Booth and Kristina Lenko - Mr. Bojangles; it was the first routine that completely captivated me.
            I think I do remeber that one - I particularly remember Kristina, and thought it was a shame when she disappeared from the pro line-up. Bonnie was great in that series, I know she didn't skate much, but she took the lead in showing what could be done with the lifts.

Was it the first series John Barrowman went out really early, and everyone thought he would win?
            [*]Series 2. Claire and Andrei 'Since you been gone.' So disappointed that they didn't win.

Claire was brilliant, and another one fearless with lifts. That was Kyran's series wasn't it? I loved his progress, and Skating Cars really got me at the time.
            [*]Series 3. Suzanne - the finals; she and Matt held me spell bound that night. The best ever flying routine, the Music routine and Bolero - she hit her purple patch that night.

Completely agree, remember that final well. Very disappointed she went out early in All Stars.
            [*]Series 4. Only one winner - Ray Quinn and spoilt for choice; Nothing's gonna stop us now.: Rock Around the Clock; Bailamos. Even then we knew we'd never see his like again.

Yes, definitely. DOI started to lose it's sparkle after this series for me...
            [*]I won't deny that first time around I was enchanted by J'ai Ho..
            Me too!

Other highlight celebs for me were Vanilla Ice, Chloe Madeley and Jessica from Liberty X.
            [*]Series 9 and the last ever DOI. Ray deserved to win and I find it impossible to select a favourite routine..

I know. Thing is, all his routines were dance routines as well. Ray embodied the entire DOI concept.

And I've loved having a series where the majority of celebs were capable on skates :D
          • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
            Forum Member
            I remember all these but agree series 6 when they moved to a new studio is when I think the show had it