Bear Grylls reality show

Comments

• arkark Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the next episode on ? not this friday.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vogue for the win!
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the impression any of them would survive in an actual survival situation. Whoever wins will be the 'least worst' rather than someone having shown brilliant skills. As much as Bear and the show try and hype it up as 'dangerous' and 'life-threatening' it feels more like they've been babysitting them through the whole trip - they get given tents after each elimination, have a chemical toilet etc.. They even had Bear and his 'lieutenants' coaching them in how to make a fire in the last episode and some of them still couldn't do it. I know that they can't just leave them to it because of health and safety etc, but it makes the whole thing feel a bit pointless as a competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girls use their brains where the boys don't. A girl will win.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The girls use their brains where the boys don't. A girl will win.

Vogue will win it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vogue will win it.

I hope so.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Just watching my recording of the last part of this, must be 2 DS'ers watching now.
    Kelly Holmes looks very tidy in vest I must say, quite rude infact :)
    Kelly's just tried to drown herself through over confidence.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I really thought Mike would win. Fair play to Vogue though. Unlike Dame Kelly, she overcame her big fear.
  • solace2008solace2008 Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, well done Vogue. Had Kelly Holmes not got out of her depth following her abseil down the waterfall then perhaps she-might've won, but with her fear of water taking over I doubt her winning was ever really in question for our Bear.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly's near drowning seemed a bit hammy.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Good final..vogue didn't have any disasters..and im sure bear would choose to fly off (dangle off!) Into the sunset with her rather than the other two
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vogue usually was first to attempt the challenges, I think she proved herself and was a worthy winner.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Vogue usually was first to attempt the challenges, I think she proved herself and was a worthy winner.

I agree, I thought she stood out from the others in the end.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week The Island starts on Channel 4.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd take the woman with the British Army training always. I'd just risk drowning with Dame Kelly.
  • PastaPasta Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juless wrote: »
    None of them really shone this week. Mike hasn't stepped up as a leader despite Bear encouraging him.

Maybe he was aware that Bear pretty much lured Lawrence to his end by constantly 'encouraging' him to take the lead..
  • retrovertigoretrovertigo Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    So out of those 3 the one he would want by his side or to protect his kids would be vogue? Don't buy that for one second.
  • AhamPremaAhamPrema Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Just watching my recording of the last part of this, must be 2 DS'ers watching now.
    Kelly Holmes looks very tidy in vest I must say, quite rude infact :)
    Kelly's just tried to drown herself through over confidence.

We did watch it to the end but after the Foxes were sent home it lost its heart for us as we found them the most thoughtful and interesting. Vogue deserved her win as she was competent and a good team player throughout but because she didn't have as many dramas or screen time it was just a bit of an anticlimax. Tom impressed me the most by keeping his sense of humour throughout while facing his fears especially on the rope across the gorge so I'd have loved to see him get to the final and win.
    Forum Member
    Pasta wrote: »
    Maybe he was aware that Bear pretty much lured Lawrence to his end by constantly 'encouraging' him to take the lead..

Go back a page or two 'we've' discussed Lawrence, bolloxed himself by not listening generally taking clothes off, too gungho at times and the foot business.
    Compounded all that by been the 'leader' at the time too.

Apparently (going by the editing) there was some sort of dynamic going on, where they all listened to him, he became the leader by default, then Bear made even more of a thing of it.
    Forum Member
    AhamPrema wrote: »
    We did watch it to the end but after the Foxes were sent home it lost its heart for us as we found them the most thoughtful and interesting. Vogue deserved her win as she was competent and a good team player throughout but because she didn't have as many dramas or screen time it was just a bit of an anticlimax. Tom impressed me the most by keeping his sense of humour throughout while facing his fears especially on the rope across the gorge so I'd have loved to see him get to the final and win.

Foxes did nothing for me, but I've got reverse snobbery problems, so that might be me.
    Said it a week or two back, because Vogue wasn't getting screentime it meant she was probably just getting on with it all in a quiet way.
    Said it before, I never really got a 'feel' for their personality's, especially some of the more light hearted moments, that probably went on throughout the whole thing, Vogue playing daft games in the camp, Vogue and Kelly lying on the rocks chatting after Kelly nearly drowned herself.
    Tom wrote something in his article about them all grading their $hit daily, stuff like that.
  • AhamPremaAhamPrema Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Foxes did nothing for me, but I've got reverse snobbery problems, so that might be me.
    Said it a week or two back, because Vogue wasn't getting screentime it meant she was probably just getting on with it all in a quiet way.
    Said it before, I never really got a 'feel' for their personality's, especially some of the more light hearted moments, that probably went on throughout the whole thing, Vogue playing daft games in the camp, Vogue and Kelly lying on the rocks chatting after Kelly nearly drowned herself.
    Tom wrote something in his article about them all grading their $hit daily, stuff like that.

I'd forgotten Tom's Guardian piece as it was back in Feb so just had a re-read - love his wry humour and sense of the ridiculous. Also interesting to see the pre-series grading for 'toughness' they were given in the Telegraph. Vogue came bottom with only 2 points, which appears to be based on her bringing a vanity case and her choice of husband, so she certainly exceeding expectations. I thought she came across as bright and coolly capable from the start which as you point out is why she got less screen time than some of the others. Can understand why the Foxes might be 'Marmite'. I felt sorry for Emilia because Bear kept saying she wasn't being herself when she strikes me as someone who is pretty serious and becomes quieter when she has to dig deep in challenging conditions. Despite that she was always the first to look out for and encourage anyone who was struggling and help them through it. Agree with you that it would have been nice to get a more rounded picture of them all by seeing more of the light hearted moments.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed on the ITV Press Office that the new series will premiere during the first week of March. However, there was no mention of any celebrities in the press release. Does anybody have any insight of who the 7 celebrities will be this year?
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Just noticed on the ITV Press Office that the new series will premiere during the first week of March. However, there was no mention of any celebrities in the press release. Does anybody have any insight of who the 7 celebrities will be this year?

Nope , they've kept it very quiet. Not sure why. They had some decent names in there last year.

The only thing we do know is why there are 7 and not 8 - Ryan Thomas from Coronation Street was supposed to be doing it but was dropped by producers just before filming as they didn't think he was in the right state of mind for the show.

I notice it's filmed in Africa this year too rather than Costa Rica.
    Forum Member
    Oh I'll probably watch again this year, it wasn't too bad last year, just need to remember it's all edited probably with whichever narrative they want to 'sell' us.