Amanda Knox appeal

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I know it is subjective, but I can't see how it can be said that she isn't a good looking woman.

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscms/2014_18/107416/amanda-knox-07_673c5c4d9c267ba5f8b2ecc1740c96d0.jpg

With a ton of make-up most of us could look attractive. Her skin looks quite rough, though. Not that it matters with regards to her guilt or not.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    This is my take on it. In the US we don't have double jeopardy and the possibility of being not guilty, guilty again, not guilty and so on.

Used to be that way here (in England/Wales)

Now a person can be retried but only if new evidence emerges which is highly significant.

In Italy there was no new evidence. It seems utterly bizzare that you can be convicted, acquitted, convicted again on the same evidence (which in this case is pretty much zilch - evidence that wouldn't make it past a grand jury in the United States).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't getting at you specifically - many, many people over the years have claimed to be able to tell various things about a person from their eyes. Christopher Jeffries being one that always pops back in to my head with many people claiming he was absolutely guilty because he had "the eyes of a killer" (or words to that effect).

Oh yeah, I know it wasn't personal at all. I just wanted to put that out there so I wasn't lumped in with those idiots in general. :)
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I know it is subjective, but I can't see how it can be said that she isn't a good looking woman.

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscms/2014_18/107416/amanda-knox-07_673c5c4d9c267ba5f8b2ecc1740c96d0.jpg
    She looks like a waxwork model in that picture.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    She looks like a waxwork model in that picture.

Average at very best.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    This is my take on it. In the US we don't have double jeopardy and the possibility of being not guilty, guilty again, not guilty and so on.
    anais32 wrote: »

Now a person can be retried but only if new evidence emerges which is highly significant.

In Italy there was no new evidence. It seems utterly bizzare that you can be convicted, acquitted, convicted again on the same evidence (which in this case is pretty much zilch - evidence that wouldn't make it past a grand jury in the United States).

I followed this case very closely a while go, but once it became evident that Amanda Knox was not going to be extradited back to Italy my interest waned somewhat.

I’m very much in the ‘not guilty’ camp and I feel the chances of her ever being sent back to Italy from the US are ‘a big fat zero’ ;.......and quite rightly so IMHO.

Knox has some very unusual personality traits; that much is obvious, but none of them make her a murderer.

She made some very crucial errors of judgement, whilst under sustained questioning, in the early days of the investigation; her rather desperate and pathetic attempt to implicate Patrick Lumumba probably being the worst of them. I’m sure that alone would have made Raffaele Sollecito rue the day he ever met Amanda Knox.

However, none of those ‘errors of judgement’ come close to the Italian Judicial Systems’ aberration of halving the sentence of the monstrous Rudi Guide; if reports are to be believed he is currently (and regularly) allowed out of jail on ‘day release’ for educational study purposes and will probably be released completely by 2018. :o

Justice for Meredith Kercher?......I think not.

The Chief Prosecutor, Giuliano Mignini, who has had a rather chequered and colourful legal career (to say the least), certainly did nothing to enhance the reputation of the Italian judicial system either;...aided by a few others it has to be said.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard anything yet?

I keep checking the telegraph live link but it is not working for me, not that I'd be able to understand it.

Tweets from court are not allowed apparently.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone heard anything yet?

I keep checking the telegraph live link but it is not working for me, not that I'd be able to understand it.

Tweets from court are not allowed apparently.

I saw one tweet that said we probably won't hear anything till about 5pm in Rome, so 4pm UK time.
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I saw one tweet that said we probably won't hear anything till about 5pm in Rome, so 4pm UK time.
    thanks. Perfect timing for my return home.

I am constantly updating my Twitter feed.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Nothin yet it seems. I'm surprised, I thought they would just go with guilty straight away. They can't really do anything else surely? It would make their justice system look appalling with another change.
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Nothin yet it seems. I'm surprised, I thought they would just go with guilty straight away. They can't really do anything else surely? It would make their justice system look appalling with another change.
    They are probably trying to write something that makes sense.

Always a challenge for the Italian judiciary
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tick bloody tock.

The spaghetti's going cold.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »

Yes, Doreen Lawrence got it altered after hundreds of years,and also got the Metropolitan Police branded as racist, she has been well rewarded with a Damehood, carrying the flag at the Olympics and many other things, losing a son was a good career move.>:(
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Hmm something's afoot here. She might get a reprieve after all
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Yes, Doreen Lawrence got it altered after hundreds of years,and also got the Metropolitan Police branded as racist, she has been well rewarded with a Damehood, carrying the flag at the Olympics and many other things, losing a son was a good career move.>:(

Very good career move. The grovelling propelled in her direction by all those desperate to boast of their modernist 'multi-cultural' credentials remains quite nauseating.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    I followed this case very closely a while go, but once it became evident that Amanda Knox was not going to be extradited back to Italy my interest waned somewhat.

I’m very much in the ‘not guilty’ camp and I feel the chances of her ever being sent back to Italy from the US are ‘a big fat zero’ ;.......and quite rightly so IMHO.

Knox has some very unusual personality traits; that much is obvious, but none of them make her a murderer.

She made some very crucial errors of judgement, whilst under sustained questioning, in the early days of the investigation; her rather desperate and pathetic attempt to implicate Patrick Lumumba probably being the worst of them. I’m sure that alone would have made Raffaele Sollecito rue the day he ever met Amanda Knox.

However, none of those ‘errors of judgement’ come close to the Italian Judicial Systems’ aberration of halving the sentence of the monstrous Rudi Guide; if reports are to be believed he is currently (and regularly) allowed out of jail on ‘day release’ for educational study purposes and will probably be released completely by 2018. :o

Justice for Meredith Kercher?......I think not.

The Chief Prosecutor, Giuliano Mignini, who has had a rather chequered and colourful legal career (to say the least), certainly did nothing to enhance the reputation of the Italian judicial system either;...aided by a few others it has to be said.

Yes, but the accusation against Lumumba was made under extreme duress. The police just kept on and on about the innocent text she had received saying she needn't turn up for work that evening. Knox replied.."ok, see you later" and the police decided this perfectly normal reply was something far more sinister. The police thought they had cracked the case and were determined that she would implicate Lumumba.
    Knox had attended voluntarily as a witness, but the police obviously had other ideas. She was questioned for hours and hours without any legal representation, I can fully understand why she would probably have agreed with anything they said just to get out of there.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have quit for the week.
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    They must have quit for the week.

Yeah, they've snuck out the back door without telling anybody
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This tweet from Guardian reporter:

In #amandaknox trial of first instance in Perugia judges deliberated from 10 a.m. to midnight. Many speculating about judicial rift.

edit: both acquitted
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Convictions quashed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    ‏Italian court acquits Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito over murder of Meredith Kercher in 2007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32096621
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this mean I can bang Knox?
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Does this mean I can bang Knox?

Depends if you want to wake up dead..

:D
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Genuinely surprised by this. I expect there has been some political pressure exerted.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this is big. Not only have they rejected the convictions, they've annulled them and refused to order a re-trial. So they're completely and utterly exonerated.

The right decision at last.