Options

Applied for a job at Harvester

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
Forum Member
✭✭
I've applied for a job at a new Harvester restaurant that's opening near me soon and I've got an interview on Monday. It'd be my first proper job and I'm just wondering what sort of questions can I expect? I'd rather be prepared than go in completely unknowing what to expect

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least study the menu and do some background reading on the company

http://www.harvester.co.uk/work-for-harvester.html
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    ln addition to the good advice given by c4rv above, l'd suggest having a look at the interview advice tips here: http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/job-interview/careers.aspx

Good luck!
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just wondering what sort of questions can I expect?
    "Have you been to a Harvester before?" is their usual opening gambit I believe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its all about the customer and the environment.

Questions could be based on 'what have you done?', 'what would you do if...?'. 'What experince do you have of...?' and probably 'Why do you want the job?'

Take that last question seriously (so many people make a joke about doing it for the money) - say you want to be busy, to enjoy providing a service, to work in a job where the customer enjoys their experience, to get satisfaction from being pressurised at times but ultimately succeeding in doing the job, to be interacting with people, to be working for a company that is well known and well respected

Possible Qs (really will depend who is interviewing)...

How would you handle a customer who demanded his money back for poor service from you?

What would you do if the customer said there were items on the bill that they didnt order but that you know they did and happily ate?

What experience do you have of a fast moving, pressurised environment?

Where you havent got an answer do not say 'I dont know' or 'I havent done that'.

You havent worked before so you need to come up with something credible outside of work -

I ran my school drama society, had to get costumes together a day before the show, had to diplomatically tell people they were understudies rather than cast members, had a maverick music teacher who I had to persuade to attend rehearsals, and had to get everyone in place for a photo shoot we were only told about ten minutes before it happened. I had to lead the cast, get then enthusiastic and coax those with last minute nerves to get on the stage with a smile.

With that you have demonstrated team work, working under pressure, logistics and coordination skills, thinking on your feet, team working, diplomacy, coaching skills and leadership qualities.

Finally, if you can, go to a different Harvester for a meal or a drink and catch one of the staff to ask them how they got the job and what the interview questions were!

Double finally - dress like they woudl expect you to for the role. If you look the part, they can see you in the role. (And apologies if any of this is like teaching you to such eggs!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its fine :D I've been to Harvesters before, yeah. I was on the school council, so that'd work right?