2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• GrafelfingGrafelfing Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    I think, at this point, that as well as working on the animations for the missing episodes, that we will see the Special Editions (better Vidfire) versions of all of the above DVDs be released within the next four or five years. (I think that I will personally refrain from adding any of the above to my collection until the Special Edition is released so that I do not have to purchase it twice.)

What do y'all think?

VidFIRE's just for episodes that only exist as telerecordings. I don't think this applies to anything after the Third Doctor.

I think they're more likely to go for Season sets than re-release everything.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grafelfing wrote: »
    VidFIRE's just for episodes that only exist as telerecordings. I don't think this applies to anything after the Third Doctor.

I think they're more likely to go for Season sets than re-release everything.

Then why do they have Special Editions for every one of the first eight Doctors? And why are all of the Special Editions for pre-2007 dvd releases? It really looks as if they are re-doing (be they re-Vidfired or not) all of the early dvd releases.

P.S. I would love Season sets. :)
    Forum Member
    Then why do they have Special Editions for every one of the first eight Doctors? And why are all of the Special Editions for pre-2007 dvd releases? It really looks as if they are re-doing (be they re-Vidfired or not) all of the early dvd releases.

P.S. I would love Season sets. :)

Because some of the the early releases were a bit sparse on extras. They're essentially bringing those ones up to 2007+ standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grafelfing wrote: »
    Because some of the the early releases were a bit sparse on extras. They're essentially bringing those ones up to 2007+ standards.

So should I still expect the BBC to eventually make Special Editions of all of the pre-2007 DVDs in my list above and, thus, plan my purchases accordingly?

P.S. Thanks for the answers!
    Forum Member
    So should I still expect the BBC to eventually make Special Editions of all of the pre-2007 DVDs in my list above and, thus, plan my purchases accordingly?

P.S. Thanks for the answers!

I reckon you'd be fine with anything from the Fourth Doctor onwards.

There's always a chance that improvements in technology could lead to new versions of the black and white stories, or the Pertwees that need re-colourisation / reverse standards conversion.

Personally, I'd buy stories you like the look of, or that are going really cheap. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if they applied the same restoration technique that they used on Axos SE (and going to use on Inferno) to the other RSC stories (only those with B/W film recordings existing) like Colony in Space and the Curse of Peladon.

A re-release of the Time Monster and the Sea Devils will not be possible using the technique as the B/W film recordings don't exist, so we'll have to accept the output of RSC for now until they find another way around it (if ever!), which is a great shame as they're the better stories!:(
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.... from the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_DVD_releases

These are all of the dates of DVD releases for the first three doctors which took place on or before 2006 - 2006 really does seem to be the cutoff date for Special Editions (better Vidfire) (all dates are Region 1 - some 2013s are assumed) and where they have been made into Special Editions (with the appropriate Vidfire processes) when applicable:

First Doctor:

The Beginning Box Set - 2006
    001 - An Unearthly Child (4 episodes)
    002 - The Daleks (7 episodes)
    003 - The Edge of Destruction (2 episodes)

006 - The Aztecs - 2003
    The Aztecs Special Edition - 2013

010 - The Dalek Invasion of Earth - 2003

013 - The Web Planet - 2006

Lost in Time Vol.1 - 2004

Second Doctor

037 - Tomb of the Cybermen - 2002
    Tomb of the Cybermen Special Edition - 2012

045 - The Mind Robber - 2005

048 - The Seeds of Death - 2004
    The Seeds of Death Special Edition - 2012

Lost in Time vol. 2 - 2004

Third Doctor

051 - Spearhead from Space - 2001
    Spearhead from Space Special Edition - 2012

054 - Inferno - 2006
    Inferno Special Edition - 2013

057 - The Claws of Axos - 2005
    The Claws of Axos Special Edition - 2012

065 - The Three Doctors - 2004
    The Three Doctors Special Edition - 2012

066 - Carnival of Monsters - 2003
    Carnival of Monsters Special Edition - 2012

069 - The Green Death - 2005

However, the Special Editions don't stop there:

Fourth Doctor

076 - The Ark in Space - 2002
    The Ark in Space Special Edition - 2013

078 - Genesis of the Daleks - 2006

082 - Pyramids of Mars - 2004

087 - The Hand of Fear - 2006

090 - The Robots of Death - 2001
    The Robots of Death Special Edition - 2012

091 - The Talons of Weng-Chiang - 2003
    The Talons of Weng-Chaing Special Edition - 2011

092 - Horror of Fang Rock - 2005

098-103 - The Key to Time - 2002
    The Key to Time Special Edition - 2009

105 - City of Death - 2005

110 - The Leisure Hive - 2005

Fifth Doctor

120 - The Visitation - 2005

122 - Earthshock - 2004

130 - The Five Doctors – Special Edition - 2001
    The Five Doctors - 25th Anniversary Edition - 2008

134 - Resurrection of the Daleks - 2003
    Resurrection of the Daleks Special Edition - 2012

136 - The Caves of Androzani - 2002
    The Caves of Androzani Special Edition - 2012

Sixth Doctor

139 - Vengeance on Varos - 2003
    Vengeance of Varos Special Edition - 2012

140 - The Mark of the Rani - 2006

141 - The Two Doctors - 2004

143 - Revelation of the Daleks - 2006

Seventh Doctor

152 - Remembrance of the Daleks - 2002
    Remembrance of the Daleks Special Edition - 2010

157 - Ghost Light - 2005

158 - The Curse of Fenric - 2004

Eighth Doctor

160 - Doctor Who: The Movie - 2001 (Region 2 only)
    Doctor Who: The Movie Special Edition - 2011

So, after looking at everything, every single classic Doctor has some dvds released prior to 2007 and, as a result, every single classic Doctor has at least one Special Edition.

If we take out of the list the serials which have already seen special editions, that leaves:

1st:
    The Beginnings Box Set
    006 - The Aztecs (coming in 2013)
    010 - The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    013 - The Web Planet
    Lost in Time Vol.1
    2nd:
    045 - The Mind Robber
    Lost in Time vol. 2
    3rd:
    054 - Inferno (coming in 2013)
    069 - The Green Death
    4th:
    078 - Genesis of the Daleks
    082 - Pyramids of Mars
    087 - The Hand of Fear
    092 - Horror of Fang Rock
    105 - City of Death
    110 - The Leisure Hive
    5th:
    120 - The Visitation
    122 - Earthshock
    6th:
    140 - The Mark of the Rani
    141 - The Two Doctors
    143 - Revelation of the Daleks
    and 7th:
    157 - Ghost Light
    158 - The Curse of Fenric

I think, at this point, that as well as working on the animations for the missing episodes, that we will see the Special Editions (better Vidfire) versions of all of the above DVDs be released within the next four or five years. (I think that I will personally refrain from adding any of the above to my collection until the Special Edition is released so that I do not have to purchase it twice.)

What do y'all think?

Nah i doubt even half of those will get revisited just the ones they can visually improve. Doubt they will rerelease such titles like web planet city of death mark of the rani etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some reign of terror extras passed by the bbfc

00:25:02:12 DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD - THE MAKING OF THE REIGN OF TERROR
    00:04:09:05 THE REIGN OF TERROR - PHOTO GALLERY
    00:03:36:19 THE REIGN OF TERROR - ANIMATION GALLERY
    00:02:43:02 ROBESPIERRE'S DOMAIN - ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS TOUR
    00:01:02:00 DOCTOR WHO - THE FIRST DOCTOR RETURNS - THE REIGN OF TERROR (TRAILER)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot bloody wait to see The Reign of Terror. I am totally thilled to the marrow at the thought of this one! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who-Fan63 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they applied the same restoration technique that they used on Axos SE (and going to use on Inferno) to the other RSC stories (only those with B/W film recordings existing) like Colony in Space and the Curse of Peladon.

A re-release of the Time Monster and the Sea Devils will not be possible using the technique as the B/W film recordings don't exist, so we'll have to accept the output of RSC for now until they find another way around it (if ever!), which is a great shame as they're the better stories!:(

RSC? What is the RSC?
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to these releases, especially Terror Of The Zygons. This has been a long time coming, so I would expect the extra features to be top notch! Don't let us down 2 Entertain!

I've wanted there to be a better release of The Ark In Space for ages, as there are only a couple of special features on the original DVD release. They aren't that good. I shall have to give my original copy of this story to a charity shop once the SE version is out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    RSC? What is the RSC?

It stands for Reverse Standards Conversion, as you may know many of the master colour tapes (625-line PAL) for the Pertwee episodes were wiped during the 70's and 80's just like many of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes which no longer exist at all. However, some of the Pertwee episodes survive as 525-line NTSC colour videotapes found in American TV stations (and a few only as b/w film recordings), with these it was neccessary to convert them back to the UK televison standard of PAL (which is of higher resolution and plays back at 25 frames per second) using the RSC process. Unfortunately, the output of the process isn't really satisfactory as it causes significant fringes around the edges of objects and are less sharper than Pertwee episodes which survive in their original form.

If you have the original Claws of Axos DVD you should watch the special feature on the process for more information.

The following Pertwee episodes have required RSC as their original master tapes were wiped:
    Inferno: Episodes 1-7
    The Claws of Axos: Episodes 2+3
    Colony in Space: Episodes 1-6
    The Curse of Peladon: Episodes 1-4
    The Sea Devils: Episodes 1-3
    The Mutants: Episodes 1+2
    The Time Monster: Episodes 1-6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who-Fan63 wrote: »

If you have the original Claws of Axos DVD you should watch the special feature on the process for more information.

Actually, I do not own any of the DVDs; at the moment, all that I have are the reconstructions of the missing episodes.

It goes something like this:

I grew up with Doctor Who. I loved watching it as a teenager in the early eighties on PBS. Tom Baker was and is still my favorite doctor. (To be fair, he is about all that they showed; I think that it was six or seven years later that I learned about a Time Lord's regeneration ability.) Anyways, when the show was cancelled in 1989, I was greatly saddened. I was all happy when it seemed to be coming back in the 90's, but, unfortunately, the 8th doctor movie/pilot did not materialize into a revival. Then, when the show was revived in 2005, and I heard about it, I was ecstatic. My friends and I started watching the new stuff. We really enjoy it. We talked for awhile about watching all of Doctor Who in order from the beginning all the way through. After talking about it in theory for some months, we decided to start.

In April of 2011, we started watching a couple of episodes every Sunday night. I have one friend who committed to purchasing the DVDs as we went along. When we ran out of First Doctor DVD material earlier this year, I tracked down the reconstructions, which I now have on DVD. That way, we wouldn't miss any of the story. We are currently watching through those. We are currently on The Daleks' Master Plan. It has been a bit difficult because, due to the fact that not all of the DVDs have been released and due to the fact that I acquired the reconstructions late in the game, we have been watching the First Doctor horribly out of order. We went through all of the DVDs that were there at the time, watching the orphan episodes in order (even though they made no sense alone) and now we are watching the reconstructions. Once we are done with those, then we will go back through and watch the DVDs that have come out since (Planet of Giants, Reign of Terror and, hopefully, The Tenth Planet). By the time that we will done, we will have been watching the First Doctor for two years.

Starting with the Second Doctor, between the DVDs, which will hopefully all be out by then, and the Reconstructions, which I already have, we will be able to watch everything in the proper order. Starting with the Third Doctor, it will be all available on DVD (no reconstructions) and, I think, all in color.

Also, I have recently started watching the Revival through with my wife and one of her friends; we just finished the Ninth Doctor and will start on the Tenth Doctor soon.

Between watching Doctor Who so much with my friends, I realized that I love the show enough to want to collect it despite the major financial commitment which it represents. I have been hedging on this for about a year or so now and I finally decided to take the plunge. Hence, my recent interest in figuring out what would probably be later released in a Special Edition format so that I did not purchase it now only to have to purchase it again later.

Also, having gone through the VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and, now, Blu-Ray format in my 44 years, I highly, highly prefer the Blu-Ray format due to video quality, storage space and durability. This was one of my reasons for hedging for so long; I would prefer to have all of Doctor Who on Blu-Ray season format and I was hoping that they would announce soon that they would bring out the old seasons in this fashion, but, if I can't have them in the Blu-Ray format, then I'll bite the bullet and pick them up on DVD as I can.

I told my wife the other day that I was going to start purchasing the DVDs, probably starting with Tom Baker (the Fourth Doctor) because he is still my favorite (although Tennant comes close), at the rate of about one or two a month as I could afford them, and she told me to wait until after Christmas. I guess that she figured out that I would take the plunge before I did and she apparently told my family. LOL! (Building my collection while we are watching the series will also give my friend who committed to purchasing the DVDS as we are watching them a backup purchaser and a needed break when necessary should he find himself in financial straights.)

The first two DVDs that I will be picking up (apart from anything that my family may give me for Christmas) will probably be Reign of Terror and Shada. I am picking up Reign of Terror early on despite it not being a Tom Baker serial) because I want to support the animation as much as I can (as I would like to see all of the missing episodes animated eventually). I will be picking up Shada early because it is Tom Baker and because I have always been fascinated about the unfinished serial.

Anyways, so I am looking at building my collection over the next five to seven years. Thus, I can be patient around the older releases and wait for the Special Edition versions of them to be released while purchasing the more recent releases and the already released Special Editions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allright, updating the list by adding in the Special Editions:

Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: NA
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: NA
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18, 2013: US: NA
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: NA, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: June, US: NA

and

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    The Green Death
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    The Visitation
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric
  • slider28slider28 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Shada Jan 8th in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »
    Shada Jan 8th in the US.

Sweet! I had forgotten; thanks for reminding me.

Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: January 8th
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: NA
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18, 2013: US: NA
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: NA, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: June, US: NA

and

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    The Green Death
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    The Visitation
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see those as all being possible special editions - Curse Of Fenric for example already was double disc and had tons of extras as was Genesis - what more can be added? I know Talons was but the big thing they added there was a contribution from Tom Baker which had been lacking previously and Talons is constantly voted one of the top 5 stories of all time.

I guess its possible there may be some more but at the moment they only exist in your theorising - there's been no indication any of them will get a rerelease.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can add the 2 dalek movies to the list. they are getting released on the 27th of may on blu ray for the first time and also getting released on dvd.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whos to know in ten years time we maybe on the 3rd or even 4th revisits of old titles.i'm not particularly happy about re releases but have judged each re release on its own individual merit.was not impressed about claws of axos coming out again but with the living with levene feature and the restoration of ep 2 and 3 i have found it worth re investing.there are other new extra features on that dvd too which i have not got around to watching yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    We can add the 2 dalek movies to the list. they are getting released on the 27th of may on blu ray for the first time and also getting released on dvd.

I will add these to the list, although I don't think that they are cannon. By the way, are these UK or US dates? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will add these to the list, although I don't think that they are cannon. By the way, are these UK or US dates? :)

uk dates
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    I really don't see those as all being possible special editions - Curse Of Fenric for example already was double disc and had tons of extras as was Genesis - what more can be added? I know Talons was but the big thing they added there was a contribution from Tom Baker which had been lacking previously and Talons is constantly voted one of the top 5 stories of all time.

I guess its possible there may be some more but at the moment they only exist in your theorising - there's been no indication any of them will get a rerelease.

This is all true; hence the "possible" portion in the list. I simply made the list based on an observed pattern in the releasing of Special Editions. Every single classic Doctor (pre-2005 for this delineation) has at least one Special Edition. They are all pre-2007 releases re-released with better and clearer video (better VidFire in many cases) and/or more extra features.

I figure that the BBC is running out of classic Doctor Who to release, and, therefore, while we are waiting on the last of the to-be-completed-with-animated-episodes-serials to be released (The Tenth Planet, The Ice Warriors, hopefully The Crusade and hopefully The Underwater Menace, etc.), they will probably flesh out the rest of the release schedule with the Special Editions from the aforementioned list. Will they all be released as Special Editions? Probably not if for no other reason than, statistically speaking, it is unlikely, but I figure that many/most of them probably will be within the next couple/three years. :)
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »

this is already out on dvd i have the 2 disc set "the dalek collection"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is already out on dvd i have the 2 disc set "the dalek collection"

Yes but i did say it was the first time it is getting released on blu ray plus its a brand new remastered transfer
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that I find the release of "Special Editions" somewhat irritating, especially since I already own the original DVDs.

They are fine for new purchasers, who might have missed the original release, but I feel that I am always left a little short-changed by the re-release.

I know that the DVD encoding process was a little dire to say the least, on the earlier releases (Robots of Death: the TARDIS spinning through space, and the wooden TARDIS control room have pulsing pixellation).

And as for Bluray "Spearhead from Space: SE" - not a hope in Hell! I had bought it on VHS, Laserdisc (still got it), DVD (times two). No more. Apparently 16mm film stock doesn't translate to digital high definition formats as well as 35mm film. So I shouldn't imagine that it will be very much better than DVD.