Options

Indian Summers [Channel 4]

Comments

• Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its no Jewel in the Crown is it.Dont think ill bother next week.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to watch it solely because of Julie Walters and so far she hasn't disappointed, but, meh, I won't be watching anymore of it.
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I don't understand? Why did that guy get shot?
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it. Plot seems pretty straight forward to me...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Very disjointed, and i cant really warm to any characters.
    The northern guy with the beard looks like an escapee fro a DH Lawrence novel , .eh up wanna see me bush me lady.
    They keep banging on about the handsome men and women..are they arriving later most of the men look like mumys boys n drips and the woen are nothing exciting.
    Utter rubbish.
  • Options
    dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was great.. what an epic!
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EUROBOY65 wrote: »
    Very disjointed, and i cant really warm to any characters.
    The northern guy with the beard looks like an escapee fro a DH Lawrence novel , .eh up wanna see me bush me lady.
    They keep banging on about the handsome men and women..are they arriving later most of the men look like mumys boys n drips and the woen are nothing exciting.
    Utter rubbish.

That's sounds more Thunderbirds Parker if I'm honest:blush::D:p
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it difficult to keep up with who was who. All the women looked the same to me.

I will give it another go next week hoping that it will become clearer. It certainly wasn't as good as Jewel in the Crown or Passage to India.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    I thought it was beautifully shot, brilliant colours and amazing landscapes, but as far as understanding what the h... is going on...? Umm... I'll have to find a review somewhere. ;)
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it :cool:
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, that preview was long!

I'm not sure what to make of it. The characters are a bit soapy. Julie Walters was good,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great. It was disjointed at the beginning but it all started coming together sooner than later. I will definitely be watching this next week. Had the tough choice with either choosing this, Mr Selfridge or The Casual Vacancy. Glad I chose this.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    I thought it was beautifully shot, brilliant colours and amazing landscapes, but as far as understanding what the h... is going on...? Umm... I'll have to find a review somewhere. ;)

Agree, it looked really beautiful. I found it all very confusing but by the end had already decided I like the woman with the baby, don't like Lady Chatterly's gamekeepers wife (think I'll love hating her). Intriguing relationship between Cynthia and would-be Vice-Roy candidate.

There's another 9 parts for things to become clearer and I'll definitely watch next week.

How beautiful was the Indian girl who took the poisoned boy to the mission school. Stunning.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bowed out with the preview (seriously what's that all about?!), as with nearly all opening episodes its a all a bit overstaffed and underwhelming but I'll stick with it and see how it develops.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great, I watched it on catch up because I wanted to see the Casual Vacancy first, which I wasn't all that impressed with, this was much better, beautifully shot, and better still, had the wonderful Julie Walters, I'm hooked.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie Walters really put me off in the Trailer. The comments are mixed enough to mean I probably won't bother.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got bored and stopped watching. Had already missed the first 15 mins so I was really confused and now of the characters were gripping enough.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Very disappointing I thought. A very amateurish soap. I loved the scenery and the clothes though. :)
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The settings and period atmosphere alone carry this drama, storyline just about ok and definitely building.
    Why only 3 pages of comments for such a major drama, while Casual Vacancy has 8 pages. Hopefully not that old chestnut that some people will watch something on BB1 but not on Channel 4.
    Have to chuckle when that "effect" of building beating music and flashing between scenes is used in the last minute yet again. I first saw it used to great effect in the original Killing and since then has become standard for many dramas, notably Broadchurch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will persevere I suspect. Great scenery but even though Julie Walters is a great favourite of mine, I really don't care for or about any of them except maybe the little boy!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    The settings and period atmosphere alone carry this drama, storyline just about ok and definitely building.
    Why only 3 pages of comments for such a major drama, while Casual Vacancy has 8 pages. Hopefully not that old chestnut that some people will watch something on BB1 but not on Channel 4.
    Have to chuckle when that "effect" of building beating music and flashing between scenes is used in the last minute yet again. I first saw it used to great effect in the original Killing and since then has become standard for many dramas, notably Broadchurch.

I know. It's weird that people can't seem to use a remote. I chose to watch The Casual Vacancy because I preferred the adverts. Indian Summers's adverts put me off. I don't care what channel anything is on (as long as I have the channel), I'll watch anything I like the look of.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    If Juie Waters commits to a ten part series it's enough for me.
  • Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »

Some people will just watch anything by JK Rowling.

Indian Summers was excellent and glad I chose to watch this and record Casual Vacancy.

My only criticism is that there were so many characters introduced in such a short space of time I felt like I was playing catch up.

It offered the viewer a lot of intrigue though. The relationship between the siblings is very odd. Of course, Julie Walters was marvellous.

Will definitely be watching it again.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. It looks gorgeous, is well acted and keeps the story moving, it's a bit soapy perhaps but not excessively so.
    As ever on a commercial channel the high number of ads were annoying, but that's the price of commercial TV so I'm not going to make a big deal of it. I usually record dramas that aren't on BBC so I can skip the ads but didn't last night, I will for the rest of the series though.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I didn't realise that "anybody watching it?" has any other meaning.

You and everybody else knew it wasn't on at 10.00am on Sunday morning yes? So it was pretty obvious to anybody that I meant anybody watching tonight.

Maybe accusing you of sarcasm was wrong, being pedantic maybe. ;-)