Options

Burger Van to Gourmet Star

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
On Channel 4.

Reminds me of one of the original "Faking It" episodes where they took a van food chef and trained him to fake being a chef able to work in a top kitchen. I think they pulled it off too.

Comments

• Options
    eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original Faking It. Although occasionally it didn't quite work out In the best ones both sides came out better for the experience.
    Have I seen this chef before on Great British menu or somewhere?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Aye it sounds just like faking it now the Michelin starred chef and voiceover has set out the premise.
    Linky http://www.channel4.com/programmes/burger-bar-to-gourmet-star/episode-guide

I think the Chef bloke from Faking It was Ed, I think he went off to be a writer or something away from cooking at the end of the show.

I'd be interested to know what sort of money their on for their 17 hour shifts and 80 hours a week.
    Nothing but mega money would make me give a flying, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested to know what sort of money their on for their 17 hour shifts and 80 hours a week.
    Nothing but mega money would make me give a flying, I'm afraid.

Not sure. I think I recall someone saying chef'ing isn't that well paid. It's more of a ladder you work your way up in the hope of one day becoming a head chef which is where the money is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This guy seems to be a natural. Expecting a job offer at the end. Wonder if he'll give up the van.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    He's rather emotional this chap.
  • Options
    eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also a job that takes a lot out of your family life. It's a bit too narrated for me but I want to find out what will happen, he does seem both good and involved.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitchens always seem to bring the bitchiness out in people
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe that guy wanted to quit with just 4 days to go, and with all the time they invested in him! He should have been shown the door!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggplant wrote: »
    It's also a job that takes a lot out of your family life. It's a bit too narrated for me but I want to find out what will happen, he does seem both good and involved.

Sounds like the Masterchef narrator - She is rather annoying. We don't need to be talked through every scene!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the box. Do they really believe he works in a 2 star restaurant in England?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the box.

I get your drift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggplant wrote: »

To become a chef, forget friends, family, social life. It's an all consuming career. You have to love it and forget about everything else. The hours and pay are ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Voiceover woman sounds like Faye Ripley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is total BS. There is no way that guy didn't know he was an amateur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    kitchens always seem to bring the bitchiness out in people

Some industries or workplaces, I think

F knows what all that nonsense was about with the rest of the team.
    He saw the boss about his knee, WTF did he 'need' to go and see the second in command and say 'goodbye' to the rest of the team he was back a few days later.
    They wouldn't like me, I'm nobodies friend at work, I don't have friends away from work so I don't need them at work, tell people that straight.

Don't know why they've sent him all the way to Italy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is total BS. There is no way that guy didn't know he was an amateur.

He knew he was a trainee but I'm not sure he knew he was only three weeks trained.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Pretty shit that after all that work he is back flipping burgers, albeit marginally more fancy ones.

You'd think your man Daniel would have had a few words with one of his chef friends and landed him a job somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whaaat? No job offer? Then again I guess he'd have turned it down because it was away from where he lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty shit that after all that work he is back flipping burgers, albeit marginally more fancy ones.

You'd think your man Daniel would have had a few words with one of his chef friends and landed him a job somewhere.

I know. I was expecting him to start an apprenticeship somewhere. This is just another reality show that gives free advertising to the participating restaurants.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Whaaat? No job offer? Then again I guess he'd have turned it down because it was away from where he lives.

It doesn't have to be in Italy or anything. I'm sure the chef must know a few people he could have got in contact with close by.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Series 1 Summary
    Some of Britain's best chefs train up some of the country's worst. The newbies then pose as seasoned professionals in world class kitchens. Will they get away with it?

That ^^ deserves a long 'Hmmm' and some chin stroking.

I don't think we got job offers in the original Faking |t either, wasn't the point of it.
    I wasn't really watching this properly, did he actually want to work in a Restaurant at the end?
    Give up his own business works from 8 til 2 to work 12+ hours for someone else?

Not sure why he spent all that money shusshing (sp) up his old Burger van, it's in a layby and it looked clean before, it's nice to see once the punters have stopped, but they've got to stop first.
    Better quality food is probably a good thing though, there's not a lot of choice if you are driving an Artic you can't nip off the motorway and park it anywhere you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This weeks looks potentially a little more challenging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no a shouty chef. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I send them outside when I can't handle them being in the kitchen anymore". Great leadership.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no a shouty chef. :(

Just start watching this, chefs tend to be mad despotic posh burger flippers with homocidal tendancies.