How Do You Mend A Broken Heart?

Comments

• Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miiaaoow wrote: »
    How long were they going out?
    Around three years.
    As cliched as it sounds the only thing that truly helps in time.

Distraction may be the way forward for the next few weeks???

Make sure he isn't left alone all the time (although don't get sucked in to always being on call / available otherwise he may become dependant on you)

Let him vent his anger - just be a good listener.

Booze also helps!! :o

Thanks for your advice :)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hijack or not, never a truer word and all that.

And given the fact that the vast majority of relationships don't last, he'll probably end up in the same boat somewhere down the line.

On the contrary, if he's that sensitive, he should do what I did and pack the whole thing in completely.

What do you mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned him again and he was feeling a lot happier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell your friend to spread some rumours about her.
    Nothing too serious , just that she's unkind to puppies or worships satan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell your friend to spread some rumours about her.
    Nothing too serious , just that she's unkind to puppies or worships satan.

I thought of telling him that. I'll suggest it in the next couple of days.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harris_07 wrote: »
    My friend's girlfriend left him yesterday for another man. He was very much in love with her and he (and I) thought she felt the same way. He was about to propose to her, showing how serious he was and so he is really devastated now. :(

Any advice on what I should do to cheer him up?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated :).

Tell your friend the truth: he's had a narrow escape. His girlfriend has deceived him, and the person he was in love with didn't in reality exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Tell your friend the truth: he's had a narrow escape. His girlfriend has deceived him, and the person he was in love with didn't in reality exist.

That's some good advice. Thanks :)!
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean?

Look at the ratio of misery to happiness that a huge number (if not most) people seem to experience as a result of the delusion of "romantic love" and do what you'd do if someone told you that if you regularly stuck pins in your eyes, once in a while you might get some pleasure from it.

Or alternatively learn to keep your emotions in check and never get carried away - however few people seem able to do this, bar the best Pick-Up Artists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the ratio of misery to happiness that a huge number (if not most) people seem to experience as a result of the delusion of "romantic love" and do what you'd do if someone told you that if you regularly stuck pins in your eyes, once in a while you might get some pleasure from it.

Or alternatively learn to keep your emotions in check and never get carried away - however few people seem able to do this, bar the best Pick-Up Artists.

Oh, that's good advice.

I thought you meant suicide :o...but you were posting so I thought: :confused:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's good advice.

I thought you meant suicide :o...but you were posting so I thought: :confused:.

Steady on!

Then again, ironically some people have committed suicide - or murder - over disappointment in romantic love, which is perhaps another reason why it should be avoided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steady on!

Then again, ironically some people have committed suicide - or murder - over disappointment in romantic love, which is perhaps another reason why it should be avoided.

I have to make sure that he doesn't hurt himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I just say that you seem like one hell of a friend? He's lucky to have you IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I just say that you seem like one hell of a friend? He's lucky to have you IMO.

Yes, you can say that. Thank you :). I am awesome ;):D!

Well, I treasure all of my friends and if anything or anyone upsets them I feel obligated to try and help them sort it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs to mourn.

His world has changed overnight and will need to get over it in his own time. Be there if he wants to talk to someone but he will go out when he is ready.

I found I needed to rest when I was at home. I pampered myself and slept a lot. During the day I was busy at college. I felt really sick as well. The hardest bit was not having a partner to go out with but I worked out why the relationship broke up and it put everything into proportion after a while.

It took me a month to get over my break up from my ex, then I was out and about dating again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    He needs to mourn.

His world has changed overnight and will need to get over it in his own time. Be there if he wants to talk to someone but he will go out when he is ready.

I found I needed to rest when I was at home. I pampered myself and slept a lot. During the day I was busy at college. I felt really sick as well. The hardest bit was not having a partner to go out with but I worked out why the relationship broke up and it put everything into proportion after a while.

It took me a month to get over my break up from my ex, then I was out and about dating again.

Thanks for your advice:).

I'm glad that you got over your ex...its their loss ;):)!
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member

I am starting to agree with all this. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people that can just be casual and not have feelings (probably because I'm female). I wish I could.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I am starting to agree with all this. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people that can just be casual and not have feelings (probably because I'm female). I wish I could.:(

Awww, don't worry. I'm sure you'll find happiness sooner rather than later :)!
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Awww, don't worry. I'm sure you'll find happiness sooner rather than later :)!

Thanks but I don't hold out much hope as I'm already 36.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I can't believe some of the replies that I'm reading here. He won't be the first that this has happened to and he won't be the last. It's happened to me and I sympathize. He will undoubtably be feeling utterly dreadful and that is an understatement, but the best thing that you can do is to be there for him and offer all the support that you can. You sound like a good friend, so don't encourage him to drink or take drugs - it doesn't work. Probably most importantly, monitor his situation very carefully and watch that he doesn't enter into a serious depression - if this happens he will probably need professional help. Ultimately, although this willl not be much comfort to him, he will get over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Thanks but I don't hold out much hope as I'm already 36.
    Age doesn't matter, babe ;):)!
    Widow57 wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the replies that I'm reading here. He won't be the first that this has happened to and he won't be the last. It's happened to me and I sympathize. He will undoubtably be feeling utterly dreadful and that is an understatement, but the best thing that you can do is to be there for him and offer all the support that you can. You sound like a good friend, so don't encourage him to drink or take drugs - it doesn't work. Probably most importantly, monitor his situation very carefully and watch that he doesn't enter into a serious depression - if this happens he will probably need professional help. Ultimately, although this willl not be much comfort to him, he will get over it.
    OK. Thanks for your advice :). I have to make sure he doesn't get depressed or does something stupid or dangerous.
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you can only let him grieve. I got dumped when was about 17 for someone else and it took me about 6 months to get over her.

There is very little you can do or say to make things better. He's lucky in that he has a supportive mate, but no matter how hard you try, you can't make him feel better about things. Be there for him if he wants to go for a beer. He'll get over it with some time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    OP, you can only let him grieve. I got dumped when was about 17 for someone else and it took me about 6 months to get over her.

There is very little you can do or say to make things better. He's lucky in that he has a supportive mate, but no matter how hard you try, you can't make him feel better about things. Be there for him if he wants to go for a beer. He'll get over it with some time.

Thanks for your advice :).

I'll just look out for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A problem.

My friend's ex has called me to pass on a message to him, it sounded really important. He doesn't answer her calls and she is too scared to go down there. I said that I would think it over and call her back.

Any thoughts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A problem.

My friend's ex has called me to pass on a message to him, it sounded really important. He doesn't answer her calls and she is too scared to go down there. I said that I would think it over and call her back.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, difficult position she is putting you in. Depending on how important (and genuine) you feel she is being, you should tell him. However, if you think she is just using you to get to him, tell her to F off!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    Hmm, difficult position she is putting you in. Depending on how important (and genuine) you feel she is being, you should tell him. However, if you think she is just using you to get to him, tell her to F off!!!

OK, thanks :).

I think she is being genuine. I'll call her tomorrow (I'm too tired right now).