Asterix is 50 years old!

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,345
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody out there ever read the Asterix comics?

I must say I'm very fond of them over the years and I have great Childhood memories of the animations "Vs Caesar "In Britain" and "The Big Fight". We had those in a trilogy video set and I used to watch them endlessly.

What a concept. 50 BC Gaul, a village on the coast of Northern Gaul defends itself against the might of the Roman empire relying on a magic potion which gives you superhuman strength, kinda like popeye and his spinach!.

Nice blast from the past for me. :)

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asterix even got a mention in a recent episode of Fringe :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asterix is brilliant, re-read a couple over the the past few years, and they're so full of sharp humour, most of which I glossed over as a kid. I absolutely loved Lucky Luke too, had every book, and remember still having them when I was 15, but I never knew where they went, just disappeared! A victim of growing I would say, but I never did!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    BBC News article about it, but saying Asterix has had his day:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8319196.stm

I was a big Asterix fan collecting all the books that were availiable at the time. I haven't read many of the newer ones, some say the quality of the dialogue and script has detiorated after the death of Goscinny.

My favourite adventures was when they went to different countries. I'd still like to see an "Asterix in Holland" and how they would make fun of that. It seems the books could go on forever even after Uderzo, so you never know.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read them all bar the newest ones. There is a dip in quality with the issues after Goscinny died, but they're generally still good. The recent one with aliens was a bit much.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Completely adored the books when I was young, been contemplating building up a collection of all the albums. Would be expensive though.

Favourite book for me is probably Asterix and the Magic Carpet. The images in my head still make me snigger and when I gloss over some of the humour now it is sooo sharp I never understood it when I was younger.

Much cherished part of my childhood, its what brought on my reading skills.

What gets me though is why are they calling the druid Panoramix which is his name in french versions in the english its Getafix!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I adore Asterix books. Along with Tin tin, they were my first taste of comics.

'The Great Crossing' was my first I think, but Asterix & Cleopatra or Asterix In Brtiain are my favourites.

And it's amazing just how topical 'Asterix At The Olympics' is nowadys with regard to drug cheating.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing of note is that the English translators deserve particular credit also; it's a real achievement to not just translate but to have to also fit in the wordplay and puns of the 'new' language with it.

I learnt basic Latin as well as developing an interest in the Roman Republic/Empire and general history from that era, all from a comic. That ain't bad.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Grandad worked for the UK publishers so I was lucky enough to have every single book published from the 60s to late 80s, I absolutely adored them!

As mentioned above, not only were they completely hilarious, they gave me a knowledge of language that I use to this day, and gave me an interest and an enthusiasm for history that no teacher ever managed to come close to.

Naming a favourite would be tricky, but among the favourites that spring to mind are Asterix in Corsica, Asterix & Cleopatra, Asterix and the Goths and the original Asterix The Gaul (Which I beleive I have copies of, in hardback, in English, French and Latin!).
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »

Favourite book for me is probably Asterix and the Magic Carpet. The images in my head still make me snigger and when I gloss over some of the humour now it is sooo sharp I never understood it when I was younger.

Is is true. :) I'll have to have a lookout for them see if they're still available in the shops. The Magic Carpet is one of my favourites too. I've always wondered how Asterix would translate as a TV series. I think it would work :) There's plenty of material from the comics for episodes and other ideas beyond.

When I was little I always used to imagine the comics as though they were moving picture TV shows, I found it more exciting that way :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Asterix - we had annuals when I was a kid. Haven't got them now though. :(

I adored Obelix and many of the other characters; Dogmatix, Getafix etc.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still very much into Asterix even in my late 30s. I loved reading the books when younger, and even bought the recent "Asterix aux jeux olympiques" DVD. Such a good film. It really catches the spirit and atmosphere of the book, although it takes a short while to get to grips with some of the character names being different in the French version :)

Haven't been to the Asterix Parc near Paris yet though. Pass it many times when driving down through France. Maybe one day...

Oh, and Cacofonix is my favourite character. Reminds me of people's reaction to my own musical efforts :D

Agreed also about the best ones being when they travelled to other countries. Asterix in Spain is genius.