FarCry 3

Comments

• DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I now have my silencer on my sniper rifle :D
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, 60 hours game play now and Ive only just got to the second Island. I activated all the radio towers and captured all bases on both islands. I now have the Bushman assault rifle..wonderful. :)
    I also spend a lot of time just messing about and drving places , exploring etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if i had one small gripe with this game it would be when i mission marker/ way point is on top on a large hill/ mountain and you can spend a good 10 minutes looking for the way up, it's particularly annoying you are only climbing up for a relic

I'm not sure how they would of done it or even if it would be possible but a just cause 2 type of grappling would of made exploring just that little bit more fun
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    if i had one small gripe with this game it would be when i mission marker/ way point is on top on a large hill/ mountain and you can spend a good 10 minutes looking for the way up, it's particularly annoying you are only climbing up for a relic

I'm not sure how they would of done it or even if it would be possible but a just cause 2 type of grappling would of made exploring just that little bit more fun
    Yes...one of my wishes in games is they provide you with a grappling hook, to tranverse those pesky mountains and hills. Realistically, wouldnt any action 'hero' have means to climb steep slopes?.
    And he surely wouldnt die from a10ft fall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Yes...one of my wishes in games is they provide you with a grappling hook, to tranverse those pesky mountains and hills. Realistically, wouldnt any action 'hero' have means to climb steep slopes?.
    you'd think with all the voodoo magic
    and all the skills, there would be a way to climb more quickly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So funny. I found a relic, but only by accident, as Im sure id never have even known it was there as its 3/4 way up an unclimable cliff. I was exploring near Gaztown, fell off a high ledge while trying to see something, deployed my wing suit, The use parachute prompt came up straight after I deployed, so I did, and landed on this ledge in the side of the mountain, where I found a Heron relic (number 2). lol.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Must admit, I didn't collect all the relics so I dunno how bad they all are.

I was kinda worried that it'd be a bit like FC2, where the only way to collect some of the diamonds was to use a hang-glider and fly for miles and try and land on top of a plateau.
    Sod that for a game of soldiers.

I think it was quite a bold decision, by the developers, to deliberately choose to set the bar quite low regarding the perks collectibles offer.
    I mean, there are, what, something like 100 relics in the game but you only need to collect 20 of them to be awarded the super-duper sniper rifle?
    I guess they figure that a player who's intent on gaining the perk WILL grind their way through hunting 20 relics, or 50 or 80 or however many the game demands so they've chosen to give the player the award quite early on so that a casual explorer might also get the perk as well as somebody who's deliberately trying to attain it.

Not really keen on the idea on a smarter waypoint indicator to help the player get around.
    That'd cause a lot of people to just "follow the arrow" rather than exploring for themselves, which is half the fun of the game IMO.

Perhaps a good compromise would be a more realistic map which included ridge-lines (or a funky 3D map) so the player could use it to find out whether approaching an objective from a given direction would be possible or not?

The were a few times where I tried to climb up rock outcrops which looked like they should be climbable but weren't.
    I guess it's no worse than the majority of games, though, where the player reaches a waist-high wall and finds that all further progress is blocked, like the average spec-ops super soldier would be utterly flummoxed by a 3ft tall barrier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must admit, I didn't collect all the relics so I dunno how bad they all are.

I was kinda worried that it'd be a bit like FC2, where the only way to collect some of the diamonds was to use a hang-glider and fly for miles and try and land on top of a plateau.
    Sod that for a game of soldiers.

I think it was quite a bold decision, by the developers, to deliberately choose to set the bar quite low regarding the perks collectibles offer.
    I mean, there are, what, something like 100 relics in the game but you only need to collect 20 of them to be awarded the super-duper sniper rifle?
    I guess they figure that a player who's intent on gaining the perk WILL grind their way through hunting 20 relics, or 50 or 80 or however many the game demands so they've chosen to give the player the award quite early on so that a casual explorer might also get the perk as well as somebody who's deliberately trying to attain it.

Not really keen on the idea on a smarter waypoint indicator to help the player get around.
    That'd cause a lot of people to just "follow the arrow" rather than exploring for themselves, which is half the fun of the game IMO.

Perhaps a good compromise would be a more realistic map which included ridge-lines (or a funky 3D map) so the player could use it to find out whether approaching an objective from a given direction would be possible or not?

The were a few times where I tried to climb up rock outcrops which looked like they should be climbable but weren't.
    I guess it's no worse than the majority of games, though, where the player reaches a waist-high wall and finds that all further progress is blocked, like the average spec-ops super soldier would be utterly flummoxed by a 3ft tall barrier.

Some of the relics do indeed force you to use glider or wing suit to get them. I got one purely by accident that way..lol.

My perfect game would give you detailed options when you first start a new game. And they would then be fixed for the duration of the game. Any change, you have to start a new game. Or maybe you are allowed to change settings once say.
    Options like. Do you want to enable fast travel?. Do you want to have missions markers?, do you want checkpoint or instant save?, have a number of difficulty levels, graded for very easy... ie its hard to be killed....up to "almost impossible" Ultra Hardcore where a couple of bullets will kill you.
    Something for everyone...the hardcore gamers who love the challenge, and klutzs like me, who like a small challenge, but die a lot... and mostly play for the experience and fun of the game.

Major spoiler..warning!!
    Im starting to intensly dislike the main mission and the shitty things I'm expected to do. Savagely...beat up my little brother?. Maybe I just havent got the stomach for a game like this...its not fun at the moment..its unpleasant.
    I dont mind killing bad guys of course....but hurting innocent people...naw....not fun at all.

To be honest, I loved the game when I was going round in free roam mode between main missions...capturing bases and towers and doing side missions and exploring, etc, so much so I captured all bases and towers and did all side quests and bountys on both islands before even starting any second island main missions.....the main mission is almost like a separate game...a lavish and very well done, but fairly standard FPS linear game.
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I loved the game when I was going round in free roam mode between main missions...capturing bases and towers and doing side missions and exploring, etc, so much so I captured all bases and towers and did all side quests and bountys on both islands before even starting any second island main missions.....the main mission is almost like a separate game...a lavish and very well done, but fairly standard FPS linear game.

Uhuh,

That's exactly how I felt about it too.

All the low-points of the game (IMO) involved "on-rails" and quicktime events.

I mean, in a game where you can spent hours driving a gunboat right around the coast of the island, taking out any outposts within view, it suddenly seems a bit naff to suddenly end up it a run of the mill "Press C to live"... "Press SPACE to live"... scenario.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game never gets boring and that is why I love it.

Working my way through everything, not in any particular order, when I feel like moving the game forward I'll do a mission.

21 hours in, around 43% complete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairly standard FPS linear game.

I'd have to disagree with that, a lot of the time I don't play it like an FPS, yes sometimes the poo hits the fan and shooting your way out of trouble is the only answer, but there are very few standard FPS games I've played that allow the diversity that FarCry3 does.

Shoot out
    Stealth
    Booby traps
    Lure enemies

Its definitely the FPS I've being hoping for and enjoying every minute so far.
    Forum Member
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that, a lot of the time I don't play it like an FPS, yes sometimes the poo hits the fan and shooting your way out of trouble is the only answer, but there are very few standard FPS games I've played that allow the diversity that FarCry3 does.

Shoot out
    Stealth
    Booby traps
    Lure enemies

Its definitely the FPS I've being hoping for and enjoying every minute so far.

Yeah,

Without wishing to give away spoilers, there are a handful of parts that are properly "on rails" but the rest of it is only as limited as your imagination.

Speaking of which, as I've already said, you haven't "done it all" until you've shot up an enemy outpost from a gunboat floating offshore.
    You actually feel sorry for the baddies, and their reinforcements, when you do that. :D
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought this on Steam at about 7pm on Friday and played it until about 3am Saturday, then from 11until 5am, just going to bed after another 12 hours stint, I'm hooked.
  • InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gevans81 wrote: »
    I've now gotten bored of the recon of each base before sneaking around slicing throats etc... Just load up the rockets and let them have it.

I'm on a second play through and thought I'll see how far I can get just using a knife. Half of the first base was the answer, like you I have resorted to making as much noise as possible.

I'd like it if it were possible to lob grenades or c4 from a hang glider , shame you can't .

Still loving it
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far Cry complete pack for PC

Far Cry
    Far Cry 2
    Far Cry 3 Deluxe edition + Bonus content

£4.94

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2385
  • Billy BunterBilly Bunter Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Had a little break for the last few days due to birthday/Christmas boozing, but picked it up again yesterday. I'd sort of ignored the 'blue' icons that pop up when you take a camp but started doing some and realised what a quick and easy method of making money they are!

I think I've cleared all the camps and radio masts on the 1st island, so tidying up on some of the side quests before pressing on with the main mission and presumably opening up the 2nd island.

I just love scouting out the camps, highlighting the enemies and picking my path through discreetly. This is generally mucked up by my clumsiness or some bloody great beast scaring the living daylights out of me.

Now that I've wiped out the camps I've started driving around a lot more and definitely enjoying that too.

As someone who doesn't really go in for multiplayer, this game is right up there with my all time favourites. So much time and space.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think at some point down the line we will be visiting an island full of dinosaurs via some DLC. Pterodactyl nest escape with the wingsuit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bonzai1888 wrote: »
    I really think at some point down the line we will be visiting an island full of dinosaurs via some DLC. Pterodactyl nest escape with the wingsuit.

any other game and i'd say that's a bad idea, but in this game that would be one of the greatest ideas ever and i'd buy good money for that DLC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    any other game and i'd say that's a bad idea, but in this game that would be one of the greatest ideas ever and i'd buy good money for that DLC

The enemy quite often mention the island with all the dinosaurs. I think the original far cry had a dinosaur mod on PC. It can be a whole seperate campaign doesn't need to be brody.

There are a few islands you can't get to, & the map still doesn't look full (blocks missing at the edges where I am guessing DLC islands will live), & the dino island comments have made me want this now.
  • InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinosaurs might be a laugh :)

Some kind of submarine wouldn't go amiss either .
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah bring on the dinosaurs and I hope you're right about the extra islands that could also be added through DLC, god I hope all this happens.

Playing this yesterday for a good 5 hours, slowly making my way through the missions with loads of diversions along the way.

This is game of the year material now, but with some DLC like you guys are talking about, it'd be game of this gen! Lol
  • Billy BunterBilly Bunter Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I've finally reached the 2nd island. Have to say the 'Ink Monster' has been one of the few things to annoy me so far, never liked big bosses like that. Though I enjoyed the reward for beating it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ink monster...after dieing a lot, I finally worked out you just keep moving sideways as he fires those things at you..they miss almost every time then. then shoot him in the head when he stares at you. Takes quite a few shots.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The crap AI is hilarious, I don't think it's been updated since far cry 2

3 men got out of the truck, 2 get back in, run the other one over and then drive off a cliff.

Also had the bunker mission on the second island with several enemies including 2 snipers and 2 armoured men - one tiger came into the camp and killed everyone, the two snipers did nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to make the rare plunge of getting a game at full price. Anyone know which supermarket has the best deal?