Sophos Home free antivirus - anyone tried it?

culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As Which? magazine are raving about it I thought I'd give it a go.

Pros:
- Updates automatically and simple to use so ideal for non techies.
- Fairly resource light. There are about 8 processes but total RAM usage is only about 70 megs and CPU usage is low.

Cons:
- Registration required even before you can download and install.
- Fairly large download
- Fairly lengthy installation process
- On demand scans don't work

Apart from that it seems to be working fine. Time will tell just how effective its protection is. If anyone else has used it let me know what you think.

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    As Which? magazine are raving about it I thought I'd give it a go.

Pros:
    - Updates automatically and simple to use so ideal for non techies.
    - Fairly resource light. There are about 8 processes but total RAM usage is only about 70 megs and CPU usage is low.

Cons:
    - Registration required even before you can download and install.
    - Fairly large download
    - Fairly lengthy installation process
    - On demand scans don't work

Apart from that it seems to be working fine. Time will tell just how effective its protection is. If anyone else has used it let me know what you think.

Name an anti-virus which doesn't update automatically? surely most do, all AV products tend to use as small system resource footprint at possible too.

Sophos blocked 96.8% of malware by independent testing which was the lowest of all the tests, it came something like 20th.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/avc_prot_2016b_en.pdf

Microsoft (which you can have for free with Windows) blocked 97% and most in the top 10 are over the 99.something %.

Not listed on a different comparison site https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-8/

Generally Kaspersky, Avast, Avira and F-secure are considered the best and Malwarebytes for occasional use or cleaning.