Lenovo Laptop Battery.

Hi
My question is when buying a Lenovo laptop battery - does one go by the Part Number or the ASM number?
The current one is not holding charge for long and needs replacing ASAP..

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

If you mean ASM P/N XXXXXXX and FRU P/N XXXXXXX, then ASM (Assembly Manufacturing) is the internal IBM/Lenovo part number, and FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) is the part number that an external supplier would use for the battery.

I'm guessing the FRU is either 42TXXXX or 43RXXXX so that's what you look for. Also make sure the voltage is the same. I downloaded an X200 Service and Troubleshooting Guide from Lenovo and it would appear that the battery is either 10.8V DC or 14.4V DC and the capacity 2.0 AH, 5.2AH or 8.4 AH.

If it's a 43R9254 then here's one which seems to be genuine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-Li-Ion-Battery/dp/B001EX44AY/ref=pd_sbs_107_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CEQSJJFF51EDY4CPW1VC.

Here's the link for the generic X200 User Guide download. Lenovo won't let me give you the direct link but here's how to navigate to it: https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/search?query=Thinkpad%20x200%20user%20guide&searchLocation=masthead_S. When the page opens click Documentation at the top of the page, and when that page opens click the tick box Installation and User Guide in the left pane under the title User Guides.

A download page will open and the top download should be '(English) Service and Troubleshooting Guide'. Note the top of the page should have a pic of and a title in green saying 'X200 Laptop (ThinkPad)'. Check it's showing the right Windows O/S and if you want your model's guide instead of the generic one, you'll have to input the laptop's S/N.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

If you mean ASM P/N XXXXXXX and FRU P/N XXXXXXX, then ASM (Assembly Manufacturing) is the internal IBM/Lenovo part number, and FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) is the part number that an external supplier would use for the battery.

I'm guessing the FRU is either 42TXXXX or 43RXXXX so that's what you look for. Also make sure the voltage is the same. I downloaded an X200 Service and Troubleshooting Guide from Lenovo and it would appear that the battery is either 10.8V DC or 14.4V DC and the capacity 2.0 AH, 5.2AH or 8.4 AH.

If it's a 43R9254 then here's one which seems to be genuine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-Li-Ion-Battery/dp/B001EX44AY/ref=pd_sbs_107_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CEQSJJFF51EDY4CPW1VC.

Here's the link for the generic X200 User Guide download. Lenovo won't let me give you the direct link but here's how to navigate to it: https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/search?query=Thinkpad%20x200%20user%20guide&searchLocation=masthead_S. When the page opens click Documentation at the top of the page, and when that page opens click the tick box Installation and User Guide in the left pane under the title User Guides.

A download page will open and the top download should be '(English) Service and Troubleshooting Guide'. Note the top of the page should have a pic of and a title in green saying 'X200 Laptop (ThinkPad)'. Check it's showing the right Windows O/S and if you want your model's guide instead of the generic one, you'll have to input the laptop's S/N.

Wow - thank you very much ..actually I have 2 sets of numbers:
    P/N- 42T4648
    ASM 42T4539

It is 10.8v

This is why I am a little confused..
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Wow - thank you very much ..actually I have 2 sets of numbers:
    P/N- 42T4648
    ASM 42T4539

It is 10.8v

This is why I am a little confused..

Hi,

42T4648 is the FRU number. I've seen batteries sold using either or both numbers, and as long as one of them matches you should be OK, but check the dimensions and voltage to make sure. Don't buy a 14.4V battery!

You may struggle to find a replacement battery that a) is genuine/works and b) fits the compartment. That one on Amazon is no good for you and I checked out all the other Amazon battery sellers against your part numbers, but there's none there.

Looking at Google don't buy from Top Batteries as there's 136 customer reviews on TrustPilot all 1 star, so basically it's a scam. You'll have to try your luck on ebay or pay full price for one from Lenovo. If you use this link a pop-up appears offering Live Chat. When you chat to them make sure you have the X200 serial number (S/N) and the exact model: http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?menu-id=Laptops.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Hi
    My question is when buying a Lenovo laptop battery - does one go by the Part Number or the ASM number?
    The current one is not holding charge for long and needs replacing ASAP..

There are loads of sites out there selling batteries and I have used them. All you've got to do is input your laptop model and they show you what they have. Or you could try Amazon and if you are a member of Prime, you might even get it tomorrow.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

42T4648 is the FRU number. I've seen batteries sold using either or both numbers, and as long as one of them matches you should be OK, but check the dimensions and voltage to make sure. Don't buy a 14.4V battery!

You may struggle to find a replacement battery that a) is genuine/works and b) fits the compartment. That one on Amazon is no good for you and I checked out all the other Amazon battery sellers against your part numbers, but there's none there.

Looking at Google don't buy from Top Batteries as there's 136 customer reviews on TrustPilot all 1 star, so basically it's a scam. You'll have to try your luck on ebay or pay full price for one from Lenovo. If you use this link a pop-up appears offering Live Chat. When you chat to them make sure you have the X200 serial number (S/N) and the exact model: http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?menu-id=Laptops.

Thank you - will take note of your recommendations and thoughts.