RF1 & RF2 Picture Format settings ignored.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
Forum Member
Has anyone seen this problem before with a Thomson HD box with versions 902020 / 4E3009 / 1.32B12 / sky+8.3.2 ?

I now have two bedroom TVs connected to RF1 and RF2, one on each output. The first is a 16:9 TV, the second is a 4:3 TV.

This should mean the Picture menu settings need to be:
Scart / RF1 Picture Format: 16:9
and
RF2 Picture Format: 4:3L
(personal preference for letterbox on the 4:3)

Anyway, it does not matter what the RF2 option is set to, it always uses the Scart / RF1 setting for RF2 as well as RF1 - so I can't separate them into different picture formats.

To check I am not going nuts I unplugged the 16:9 TV and just had the 4:3 TV plugged into RF1, and cycled through the menu options (it changed as expected). I then moved the connection to RF2 and cycled through the RF2 options (NO change), but cycling through the RF1 options while plugged into RF2 /did/ change the picture format.

Is this a known bug?

If there's a pre-existing thread, feel free to link to it and that will close this thread.

Comments

• jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member
    Th HD box provides the same aspect ratio to both RF outputs at once and cannot deliver 4:3 to one output at the same time as 16:9 to the other.

When a magic eye is used via RF2 the box knows that TV is in use and will switch to the correct format as set in the menu.

When the remote is used direct to the HD box it will assume RF1 is being watched and switch everything back to the RF1 aspect ratio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    jackthom wrote: »
    Th HD box provides the same aspect ratio to both RF outputs at once and cannot deliver 4:3 to one output at the same time as 16:9 to the other.

When a magic eye is used via RF2 the box knows that TV is in use and will switch to the correct format as set in the menu.

When the remote is used direct to the HD box it will assume RF1 is being watched and switch everything back to the RF1 aspect ratio.

Thanks for the info.

Deeply disappointing that it can't do different aspect ratios at once on the two outputs as there is no way I can get around this. I've used a Labgear home distribution system for 8+ years that is built into the house's fabric at the time it was built, and as a result the 9V IR return signal is terminated at the Labgear mux before it gets to be detected on RF2 which would trigger the picture format switch. The Labgear then regenerates the IR via an IR-button attached to the Sky box so it looks like a normal, local, remote control activity to the box.

I have never noticed this issue before now as I only had one bedroom wired into the RF1 output via the Labgear. For technical reasons I won't bore you with, I needed to use a second run from RF2 instead of the Labgear and so this has only just shown up as an issue.

I think it's time to ditch the 4:3 TV and buy a 16:9 one then the problem will go away as it will drive me mad having to keep swapping and changng the setting via the Sky Setup menu multiple times a day.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the room with the 16:9 tv was controlled NOT by a sky tv link, but by something like a powermid remote control extender, then when you use the tv in that room, the sky box would think it's getting commands locally, and use the RF1 picture format (16:9).

Then the room with the 4:3 tv could use the sky tv link, and the box would switch to the RF2 settings (4:3L).

Meanwhile, the main tv, connected by hdmi would always output 16:9 regardless of which set last sent a command.

I've used this trick to make 4:3 and 16:9 remote tv's work properly.

Another "trick" I have found:

In my workshop is a very tatty and almost worn out original first generation sky remote.

I noticed with that, pressing the "tv" button selects the RF2 picture format, and pressing the sky button selects the RF1 picture format. Thus making an easy way to toggle between the two.

I've not seen that documented anywhere, and the later remotes don't behave like that. But if you have or could get a working early remote, that might be another solution. Of course the earlier remote might not control your tv as it will have less tv codes in it's library.