Official. MKS - Flopline

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
well i would never have believed it when i first heard the song, i was expecting a top 5 placing with a good few weeks inside the top 40.
i was expecting decent airplay and a 'buzz' around the girls.

its all gone horribly wrong, its second week of release and its riding high in the itunes chart at around 115 :eek:

whats next for the girls? i wait in anticipation for what they offer up as the next single.

Comments

• Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    well i would never have believed it when i first heard the song, i was expecting a top 5 placing with a good few weeks inside the top 40.
    i was expecting decent airplay and a 'buzz' around the girls.

its all gone horribly wrong, its second week of release and its riding high in the itunes chart at around 115 :eek:

whats next for the girls? i wait in anticipation for what they offer up as the next single.

Where did the song chart, when it was released?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I always said it wasn't going to work but I didn't see the comeback single being this much of a flop.

Tbh they are done. Can't see where they can go now. Perhaps that ITV2 Reunion show.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Where did the song chart, when it was released?

50 on 2 days sales and probably out of the top 75 this week
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    50 on 2 days sales and probably out of the top 75 this week

Thanks. The song is good, but number 50 is not good enough. Maybe they would do better releasing an album. Some artists have more success with albums, while some are more successful with their singles.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flopline? How clever.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It was at #40 in the midweeks on Wednesday. I highly doubt it's still there, but I think it's probable that it'll still be in the top 75 tonight.

Still a crying shame though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Themselves and their management's fault for poor marketing and promotion. Plus, the people didn't respond (or simply don't care) to Flatline. Quite frankly, I can't see them making a splash on their album release either. How embarrassing for them that they can potentially at the bottom of Top 100 or out of it completely. It will be even more humiliating for them if they sell less than 5000 copies this week.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    It was an awful decision to release the song on a Friday, giving it just two days to try and make an impact on the charts when there wasn't a whole lot of buzz behind them in the first place). Did it not make the top ten/fifteen on the iTunes chart, albeit very briefly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great song and some people will enjoy listening to it for years to come. I couldn't care less about it's success one way or the other and I'm not bothered if they have had a rude awakening either, but I think they probably knew it wouldn't be a smash hit.

I hope the album will be a good one.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great song and some people will enjoy listening to it for years to come. I couldn't care less about it's success one way or the other and I'm not bothered if they have had a rude awakening either, but I think they probably knew it wouldn't be a smash hit.

I hope the album will be a good one.

that is if the album gets released now! They may sell the songs on to other groups
  • _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They took too long releasing it.

There's only so much hyping up you can do before people lose interest.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    the record company had worked it out... hence the rush release and 'promo single' tag. shame as its a good song. But Sugababes 2.0 was where the real magic happened. Siobhan was an amazing solo artist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I bought it, so gutted for them :(
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I always said it wasn't going to work but I didn't see the comeback single being this much of a flop.

Tbh they are done. Can't see where they can go now. Perhaps that ITV2 Reunion show.

Sorry to disappoint you;
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/rehab/338796/Mutya-Keisha-Siobhan-are-here-for-the-long-haul-this-time

And let's be honest, while there is no denying that Flatline bombed, Polydor didn't exactly pump loads of money into the campaign so they're not losing much from Flatline underperforming in the charts.
    There will still be a second single and an album.

As for where they go from now...they have a UK tour planned for November so I'm sure they are busy rehearsing for that:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you;
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/rehab/338796/Mutya-Keisha-Siobhan-are-here-for-the-long-haul-this-time

And let's be honest, while there is no denying that Flatline bombed, Polydor didn't exactly pump loads of money into the campaign so they're not losing much from Flatline underperforming in the charts.

As for where they go from now...they have a UK tour planned for November so I'm sure they are busy rehearsing for that:)

They might be in it for the long haul but no commercial record label is going to pump money into flogging a dead horse. They have now lost money with a single that has flopped so they aren't going to put money into an album release unless they are sure a return is going to happen. There is no interest there so its difficult to see how they move forward. Its possible they will get the chance at a second single but if that performs just as bad they are done. There is no indication they can deliver an album that will sell enough units to justify their contract. The single has bombed. They can't even get TV slots to promote the single. They only got Alan Carr because he is mates with Mutya and no radio station wants to know them.

I would also argue that the label knew the song was going to bomb so moved the release forward to clash with their one promo slot in order to at least try and get some sales out of it, so it wasn't a bad move. It was smart. These people know exactly what they are doing. Its their job.

The only way for them now is an independent label but frankly I think they are wasting their time.

We have been here before with this line up. Deja vu anyone?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Sorry to disappoint you;

Just because they want to be around for years, if doesnt mean a label will want them

Whilst they didn't pump a lot of money into Flatline, Polydor did (reportedly) pay a seven figure sum to sign them and if your debut single can't reach the top forty then it hardly spells great things for a second single or album selling well

The one thing they have is that they know that part of the reason Flatline has done just that, it was the labels fault due to not releasing when people actually cared about the single, only had one TV performance of the single and they released it on a Friday.

I'm sure they will get a second single but depending on how that goes, I wouldn't hold out much hope for an album anytime soon, it is a shame
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if they'd released it on the Sunday they would definitely have got a top 40 placing - the person/s who decided to release it on Friday should be shot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But once the initial fans who wanted it had bought the song it then tailed off. So no one wanted it. Whether that be Friday, Sunday or Tuesday.

There was no interest past Sunday. So there isn't anything to suggest a Monday release would have benefited the song any better as it dropped like a stone almost instantly anyway. The Alan Carr slot probably got them the early sales. Without that it would have been even worse. imho

Its not like what happened with Born This Way where a mid release did effect sales.

I really think some of you had your expectations set too high.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if they'd released it on the Sunday they would definitely have got a top 40 placing - the person/s who decided to release it on Friday should be shot

Even releasing it on a Sunday, seeing how quickly it fell on iTunes (even after their Alan Carr performance) I doubt it would have even troubled the top 20. And after all the hype and excitement surrounding their return that's a disappointment!
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a good group. The best thing to do is to release an even Stronger second singles and PROMOTE it. Go on This Morning or Daybreak or Loose Women or whatever they can. Maybe they can even get on the X Factor results show before it's released?? If you aren't going to get radio support, then promotion is vital girls!!:mad:
  • _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    lol Its number 54 on the charts this week It peaked at number 50

That's actually tragic that the Alan Carr performance couldn't even get them atop 40 single.

I bet the label drops the album just like they did Amelia Lily.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    I bet the label drops the album just like they did Amelia Lily.

I very much doubt that. Unlike Amelia, MKS have a pretty solid fan base who are ready to buy the album the minute its released. Many of them (me included) probably didn't purchase 'Flatline' either.
  • _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I very much doubt that. Unlike Amelia, MKS have a pretty solid fan base who are ready to buy the album the minute its released. Many of them (me included) probably didn't purchase 'Flatline' either.

Do they really? I mean honestly.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint you;

Good, they are not X Factor types expecting instant success!
    I had no expectations I just liked the song and the girls from their previous work. Let's see how the tour does.

(Friday release was harmful though)
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are forgetting they released it on Friday instead of Sunday when new songs during the week get released they defintley would have gone top 40 had they waited and released it Sunday .