Big Allotment Challenge BBC2

12346»

Comments

• zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very lightweight show. I was surprised that a second series was made. The best bit is the growing and showing of vegetables-but why flower arranging is included in the show puzzles me. It barely fits with allotments in my opinion.
  • cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too keen on older blonde lady as yet.

I didn't take to her at all - why complain about an element of a competition that you chose to enter?!
    zackai48 wrote: »
    A very lightweight show. I was surprised that a second series was made. The best bit is the growing and showing of vegetables-but why flower arranging is included in the show puzzles me. It barely fits with allotments in my opinion.

I was really surprised to see it back. I suppose they've been so pleased with the baking and the sewing varieties that they wanted to give this another shot with a slightly different format, so just one gardener this time. But it's hard to fill an hour with allotment-based tasks, I think, and I suppose that's why the floral arrangement section got bolted on. I think AK is right about the effect of the judges not having to work together (accidentally deleted that bit of your post and cutting and pasting on a iPad is so hit and miss I gave up trying to reinstate it!) - there's no opportunity for a bit of fun or a disagreement to lighten it and they're judging such different things that they don't seem to have anything in common at all. And Fern Britton always seems so stilted to me she doesn't help. I've started so I'll finish but I'll be astonished if it survives another year.
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no idea there was a new series! I'll have to go and catch up on iPlayer.
  • magstangomagstango Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised it returned too. I can see the point of having a flower element to the programme and can’t help thinking your opinion is right but that it would be very different if the florist was more inspiring and the pieces more relevant to allotments. Last year Jim Buttress judged the quality of the flowers, this year it was the florist, from the information available on the website Jonathan Moseley does not appear to have anything like the level of expertise to make these judgements. The only judge I respect is Jim Buttress, he clearly knows his subject and I would love it if more of the programme was led by him. Wonder what happened behind the scenes for the change in judging the flowers, was Mr Moseley getting pushy???? No wonder there is no rapport between the judges.

I wish they would alter the times for the ‘cook’ element of the programme, more time watching participants making the jams etc and a lot less time focusing on Thane tasting them, it is too disgusting to watch.

I think the camera work lets the programme down too. I just wish we had a better view of the allotments, they just give quick shots here and there without ever really looking at the plots, it’s the same with the flower arranging, quick shots so you don’t actually get a good view of anything for more than a nano second.

I am very disappointed, I was really looking forward to these programmes and I think we have been let down.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it. I like it being on at this time of the year, as it gives me ideas on what to plant in the spring on my allotment. Already decided to grow more flowers.

I miss the flower bloke giving a demonstration of how to do the arrangement. And I do think it's a bit unfair of him to mark people down on their arrangement if it doesn't contain the main flower, when he's already marked them down for not being able to produce the main flower.

Still loving Thane's face as she tastes things. The lollies gave her some facial challenges this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone still watching?! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the programme, considering the fact I can barely keep a wee houseplant alive. However, watching the female judge tasting the food infuriates me for some reason...
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the programme, considering the fact I can barely keep a wee houseplant alive. However, watching the female judge tasting the food infuriates me for some reason...

Same here on all counts. Jo Jo makes me smile, and Sandra makes me cross when she goes into an emotional panic like she did last night with her burnt jam. Crying won't influence that judge!

I love Lena too. She's so slapdash but gets quite good results most of the time.

I loved the stacked flowerpot arrangements last night too. I can't believe what they manage to achieve in such a short time. It would take me all day to do something like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with you both. Jo Jo is adorable. The way Thane eats the contestants food makes me rage, I have to turn away. Is it the way they film it? I can't remember the bake off being this annoying when they sample food. Sandra's competitiveness is such a turn off and she's going to end up leaving sooner rather than later if she doesn't relax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The final is next week. JoJo to win! :D
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best person won. I found Jo Jo irritating with her giggling, skipping and running about like a 3yr old. I found Sandra abrasive , pushy and actually, a bit rude about one or two of the others. Rob was the best of the bunch. I do wish they wouldn't show us close ups of Thane's mouth...... I feel like her dentist :D
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    The best person won. I found Jo Jo irritating with her giggling, skipping and running about like a 3yr old. I found Sandra abrasive , pushy and actually, a bit rude about one or two of the others. Rob was the best of the bunch. I do wish they wouldn't show us close ups of Thane's mouth...... I feel like her dentist :D

I agree with you about Jo Jo and Sandra. For one moment I thought Jo Jo was going to win. I was rooting for Rob and was so glad he won it in the end.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show, and will be sorry if it doesn't come back. Have made notes of all the flowers they've grown and will be buying the seeds soon for my allotment.
    Might not bother with a Floral Arch though!
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know what annoys me? There are 3 challenges. In the Grow and the Make you can see which contestant has produced the best, but in the Eat it is all down to Thane Prince's subjective views. There should be two judges in that category so that the contestants are not subject to her personal whims. Last night her criticisms bordered on the ridiculous ie too bland, too sweet, not sweet enough, or not enough salt - well sprinkle some on top for heaven's sake. And let one of the other judges have a taste to see what they think.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point :)
  • diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what annoys me? There are 3 challenges. In the Grow and the Make you can see which contestant has produced the best, but in the Eat it is all down to Thane Prince's subjective views. There should be two judges in that category so that the contestants are not subject to her personal whims. Last night her criticisms bordered on the ridiculous ie too bland, too sweet, not sweet enough, or not enough salt - well sprinkle some on top for heaven's sake. And let one of the other judges have a taste to see what they think.

Totally agree with you.

If this comes back they should scrap all the judges and get 2 all rounders to judge all 3 categories.

Was with Rob all the way to win. ( So glad Jo Jo didn't win all that jumping like a 2 year old was irritating)
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diyqueen wrote: »
    Totally agree with you.

If this comes back they should scrap all the judges and get 2 all rounders to judge all 3 categories.

What a good idea, what can we do about it?
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Jo Jo. She made me smile (not sure I could take more than one hour per week though).
  • andymcvandymcv Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this was the plot of land they used when Toby Buckland did Gardeners World?
  • stripey_socksstripey_socks Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    finally managed to watch the final from last week - have to admit i am little disappointed with the winner. I really wanted the flower lady to win - although i have to admit i am shocked that JoJo didnt win. I was really expecting the judges to pick her.
  • stripey_socksstripey_socks Posts: 165
    Forum Member

could not agree more. I cant take to the eat judge at all., I find her to be rude,mean and very stand offish. I also find watching her eat really annoying too .

As taste is very subjective - this round ALL judges (including Ferne ) should be allowed to taste what has been made. How can you choose a winner fairly?
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could not agree more. I cant take to the eat judge at all., I find her to be rude,mean and very stand offish. I also find watching her eat really annoying too .

As taste is very subjective - this round ALL judges (including Ferne ) should be allowed to taste what has been made. How can you choose a winner fairly?

Of course the eat / cook challenge has a place in all of this because people have an allotment in order to eat their produce. But maybe they could leave it to the contestants to choose what they want to make - within a certain framework? It's a difficult area.