Options

Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FC Dinpro in the Europa League for you guys, so a winnable game for you top progress in that competition at least.

Managed by juande Ramos....
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Managed by juande Ramos....

If he's doing as well there as he did with us, it'll be a walkover for us without a manager.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    LOL at Daniel Levy; we all kind of knew it could happen and the first thing I did this morning was check the sports websites .... I guess Levy slept on it and then pulled the plug.

Imo it's harsh, but not surprising.

I bet Paulinho feels like a sack of shit atm ...
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capello was Baldini's guest at WHL yesterday, apparently.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Away to FC Dnipro in the EL - i'll take that

You know who their manager is, don't you?

EDIT: never mind, already mentioned above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiddinks agent rules him out apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Lineker joins Clive Allen in nominating Glenn Hoddle.

Come on Levy, you know it makes sense. He's available.

A few weeks ago, I turned on Sky before a game, and saw our line up on screen, and jumped to the edge of my seat, and thought AVB has finally got, and changed the line up completely, and it was then said it would be Glenn's choice.
  • Options
    vaarthartvainvaarthartvain Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a horrible weekend and now AVB gone ...
    Perhaps there may be a silver lining at the end of all this .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Lineker joins Clive Allen in nominating Glenn Hoddle.

Come on Levy, you know it makes sense. He's available.

A few weeks ago, I turned on Sky before a game, and saw our line up on screen, and jumped to the edge of my seat, and thought AVB has finally got, and changed the line up completely, and it was then said it would be Glenn's choice.

Out of curiosity what was the line up, if you can remember?
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Deep Purple - has anything happened since 1990 you like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity what was the line up, if you can remember?

I honestly cant, but it was 3-5-2, and looked very good from an attacking point of view, as well as solid in the middle.

We are crying out to get our strikers involved in games.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you make it through the Dinpro game, then you will play the winners of the PAOK v Benfica tie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, Abramovich pays the Russian manager's wages so it won't be him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Deep Purple - has anything happened since 1990 you like?

Yes, the progress we made under Jol, before he was prematurely sacked, and the progress we made under Harry, before he was prematurely sacked.

Between 1990 and Jol, we were very average, and I could enjoy us within our limitations.

Under AVB we have been boring, the tactics have not helped us achieve anything. Our defence is wide open to anyone who wants to attack, our midfield are slow and predictable, and our striker hardly gets a touch of the ball.

If you've enjoyed that, then fair play to you, I haven't. Bale got us out of jail last season, because without him, last season would have been like this.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Hoddle would clearly be the nostalgic choice and a big crowd pleaser, he last managed Wolves in 2006 and drew thirty four games. Is that really the sort of manager we should be looking at ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While Hoddle would clearly be the nostalgic choice and a big crowd pleaser, he last managed Wolves in 2006 and drew thirty four games. Is that really the sort of manager we should be looking at ?
    Yes, I'm not too sure about him, even for the short-term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Frank De Boer is another name on the bookies' list for a possible candidate, which would be an interesting choice I think.

He's led Ajax to three back to back titles, although I think he'd probably want to remain loyal to them as he apparently turned down the chance to interview for the Liverpool job.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The calls for Hoddle baffle me. If he wasn't a Spurs 'legend' I don't so many would want him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Sherwood getting the caretaker role with either Sir Les or Clive Allen as his number two. We'd need to avoid the same outcome as Chelsea had with DiMatteo though. if you look at the stats, we're not really in that bad shape and if we can get our injured players back and playing, we're still in all the cups and only half a dozen points off where we should be in the league.

So any caretaker isn't going to have to do a huge amount to turn things around if you look at it objectively, so if that happens, there'll be the inevitable call for whoever it is to get the job full time, much like DiMatteo after Chelsea's CL win. So if that does happen we certainly need to be sure they're the man for the job over the long haul.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Cant believe Glenn Hoddle being mentioned.

Laudrup seems like the obvious choice to me. Switched on, good coach, good contacts and plays good football, plus has experience of European football as well as the PL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If we are looking for short term, and he was willing, why not?

He has been involved in the game despite not managing, and he would have a far better squad to work with than last time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed - and it's not like we haven't got previous in this area. Ossie was a Spurs legend and nearly got us relegated ..
    Perhaps, with Lineker etc, it's because they're friends. He has no recent history of management success so I can't think why else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Cant believe Glenn Hoddle being mentioned.

Laudrup seems like the obvious choice to me. Switched on, good coach, good contacts and plays good football, plus has experience of European football as well as the PL.

If we can get Laudrup now, then yes, he would be a good choice, but if we are looking for a caretaker, then I would rather have Glenn than Tim Sherwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Perhaps, with Lineker etc, it's because they're friends. He has no recent history of management success so I can't think why else.

He's been involved in the game though with his projects, so is rusty. I would have him as a short term choice, and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's been involved in the game though with his projects, so is rusty. I would have him as a short term choice, and see how it goes.
    He wasn't really a big success when he wasn't rusty (although I appreciate the squad is better and perhaps more to his taste than before, as you say). I think it would be a big risk, unless it was literally a choice between him and Sherwood.
This discussion has been closed.