Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 11)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @E_Adebayor: I apologise to all Spurs fans who thought from the Assou-Ekotto picture that we were making fun out of the defeat. That picture (...ctd)”

@E_Adebayor: ..was taken BEFORE the game.I couldn't have possibly known the score.I would NEVER DO THAT.That pose is how I pose in all my pictures....”
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope serious consideration is given to Klingsmann. He should have been in frame after Redknapp but nothing came about. He has done well both at international and club level and is focused. Probably difficult to rest away from the US, but certainly worth exploring strongly.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    I do hope serious consideration is given to Klingsmann. He should have been in frame after Redknapp but nothing came about. He has done well both at international and club level and is focused. Probably difficult to rest away from the US, but certainly worth exploring strongly.

He's just signed a large extension to his USA contract
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without seeming to take sides on Dawson and from my own observations over the past few seasons; there is no doubt that he is a great servant to our Club. However, he is very much an old style, blood and guts Centre-Half at his happiest when up against old style blood and guts Centre Forwards. But even then he has struggled against the brute force of players like Bentke (sp?). He is less comfortable against the more mobile strikers such as we saw against Man City and Liverpool as he simply doesn't have the pace or timing to deal with them. The Gooners have a similar problem with Maertsaeker who City also cruelly exposed. A prime example was how Dawson was so easily turned by Negredo for his goal.

The faster pace of the game now and the extra mobility of forwards is much more suited to the Vertonghen and Chilriches type of defenders whose superior ability to read the game, less proneness to diving in, ability to bring the ball out and generally better distribution makes them much more suited than Dawson and in many respects, Kaboul too.

That said, if Dawson is prepared to become a bit part player then I'm happy enough for him to stay at the Club. I hope though that Baldini is already ear marking a couple of younger replacements in the Vertonghen mould for next summer to eventually replace him and Kaboul who now seems destined to struggle with niggling injuries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a poll running on the Mirror website for the top 10 contenders and the voting is rather interesting ..
    Michael Laudrup   31%
    Jurgen Klinsmann  17%
    Fabio Capello     15%
    Glenn Hoddle      9%
    M. Pochettino     7%
    Tim Sherwood      7%
    Frank de Boer     6%
    Guus Hiddink      5%
    Luis Enrique      2%
    Rudi Garcia       2%

I'm with you regarding Dawson - with the right system, he's as valuable to us as Terry is to Chelsea.

Laudrup's topping the Guardian poll too. Is he much of an upgrade on AVB? I must say the options for the post aren't the most inspiring and I'm surprised Levy would rather pay off AVB and hire an interim manager in his stead.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    Laudrup's topping the Guardian poll too. Is he much of an upgrade on AVB? I must say the options for the post aren't the most inspiring and I'm surprised Levy would rather pay off AVB and hire an interim manager in his stead.

To be honest, I haven't seen enough of Swansea's play under him to really have a solid opinion. I remember seeing them play under Brendan Rodgers quite a few times and, at the time, I think i'd have been quite happy if he'd joined us instead of Liverpool and I suppose you have to look at Liverpool's progress under him as validation of that.

I suppose it's one of those things that you can never truly judge really. As we've all said, Harry Redknapp was generally only brought in to steady the ship and keep things ticking over until a better option could be found and then he goes and gets us in the Champions League for the first time and finishes no lower than 5th in his time in charge.

Jacques Santini and Juande Ramos both came in with stellar reputations and were both disasters. Likewise, Martin Jol had no real reputation to speak of and he probably came closer than a lot of managers to establishing us as a real force again.

So I suppose it comes down to the individual in question, his footballing philosophy and whether or not he's the right fit for the club and the players. Laudrup has had a fantastic career as a player and has had success in his first season in the Premier League with one of the lower ranked sides - and I mean that with no disrespect to Swansea at all.

Would he be a success at Spurs ?. His footballing philosophy certainly fits. He's been a manager for 10 years believe it or not, so he's certainly had the experience as well.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to Laudup at the lane but weather he would want to leave Swansea atm is another matter:(

Would Cardiff Manager Malky Mckay(SP) be a good replacement for avb I think he would be a could choose :confused:

We should not got rid of Harry in the first place then we would not be in this mess in the first place
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owen coyle to spurs. breaking news
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a poll running on the Mirror website for the top 10 contenders and the voting is rather interesting ..
    Michael Laudrup   31%
    Jurgen Klinsmann  17%
    Fabio Capello     15%
    Glenn Hoddle      9%
    M. Pochettino     7%
    Tim Sherwood      7%
    Frank de Boer     6%
    Guus Hiddink      5%
    Luis Enrique      2%
    Rudi Garcia       2%

I think Klinsmann has just signed a new deal with the USA National team only a few weeks ago (if that), so it would be hard to get him now I would have thought (not impossible, but just hard).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Klinsmann has just signed a new deal with the USA National team only a few weeks ago (if that), so it would be hard to get him now I would have thought (not impossible, but just hard).

Likewise with Capello, the word seems to be that the compensation that would be needed to free him from his contract with Russia would be rather large, so I can't see Levy really wanting to pay that.

Laudrup could actually be a realistic option because he joined Swansea in June 2012 on a two year deal, so when this season ends, he'll only be two months away from being a free agent which would be music to Levy's ears.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I don't get the love for Klinsmann. One season in club management and never managed in the PL mean he is a huge risk who wouldn't merit a mention had he not played for the club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Levy is the one that needs to go..

He made a massive mistake getting rid of Harry now he's paying the price for it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I don't get the love for Klinsmann. One season in club management and never managed in the PL mean he is a huge risk who wouldn't merit a mention had he not played for the club.

He has only had an okay time in management at best, hie reputation has somewhat been recovered by his stint in charge of the USA national side, before that it was a bit of a mess, so I don't really see what more he could bring to the club that AVB couldn't.

Not many players would be that much in awe of him, having probably grown up after he was a top class player, so him being there wouldn't automatically mean he would command the respect of the dressing room.

It is a strange one, and as you say, he is only being linked as he is an ex-player, and not because of his record as a club manager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    He made a massive mistake getting rid of Harry now he's paying the price for it

He got rid of Harry at exactly the right time IMO. I'm always grateful to him for the Champions League adventure, but in the end, he'd really gone as far as he could with us.

As an aside, the game against the Spammers is on delayed coverage on Sky at 11pm on Wednesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got rid of Harry at exactly the right time IMO. I'm always grateful to him for the Champions League adventure, but in the end, he'd really gone as far as he could with us.

As an aside, the game against the Spammers is on delayed coverage on Sky at 11pm on Wednesday.

I think he should have been given another season...you werent doing anything before he took over then you were 4th in the prem the next season. A bit of money and you might have been surprised.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Likewise with Capello, the word seems to be that the compensation that would be needed to free him from his contract with Russia would be rather large, so I can't see Levy really wanting to pay that.

Laudrup could actually be a realistic option because he joined Swansea in June 2012 on a two year deal, so when this season ends, he'll only be two months away from being a free agent which would be music to Levy's ears.

You would have to pay Swansea 10m.

I am positive Laudrup is not going to be the next Spurs manager.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    You would have to pay Swansea 10m.

I am positive Laudrup is not going to be the next Spurs manager.

Not totally sure Laudrup would want to work with Baldini or any director of football if it meant he wasnt in control of players coming in and going out.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    mgns wrote: »

great article.

whats the deal with Levy and his love for Adebayor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    You would have to pay Swansea 10m

I would assume that would be true if he joined while under contract but surely if he's out of contract it wouldn't apply ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgns wrote: »

Great article - some fascinating points as well ..
    Technically he was not sacked and, in truth, the sense around Villas-Boas was that he wanted to go and was relieved it was over
    The tension increased over the summer when Paris St-Germain asked for, and were granted, permission to speak to Villas-Boas to become their new head coach
    Spurs held talks with Manchester United, who were willing to pay £100 million and might also have taken Adebayor, but Bale was adamant that he only wanted to go to Madrid.
    ..they ended the transfer window approximately £10 million up when fees and savings on wages were taken into account
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    I would assume that would be true if he joined while under contract but surely if he's out of contract it wouldn't apply ?

In or out of contract when Laudrup leaves Swansea he is not going to join Spurs or any other British club, he doesn't want the pressures and expectations that comes with a big club.

The only big job he would not turn down is Barca or Real.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be another mistake to get Laudrup.

To be honest I wouldnt know who you would get. Im surprised to see Guus Hiddink so low in the betting.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Liking the love for Jason Burt :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I reading those quotes above wrongly, or does it suggest that we were willing to but Adebayor as well as Bale? Please tell me I have got that bit wrong!
This discussion has been closed.