Options

Notts TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
Forum Member
Hi all,

Any ideas why those of us out here in the Kimberley/Eastwood area of Nottingham are unable to pick up Notts TV (Channel 8) on freeview?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcr_1999 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any ideas why those of us out here in the Kimberley/Eastwood area of Nottingham are unable to pick up Notts TV (Channel 8) on freeview?

Thanks in advance

Are you using the Nottingham or Eastwood transmitter?

If the former then you may need to retune (manual tuning 29 or 514MHz), if the latter then the transmitter doesn't carry it.

Nearly all the signal from Nottingham is also beamed towards the east so it might be harder to get than you would otherwise expect to the west of the mast
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very odd living in Notts when the best signal is Emley Moore and local news is Yorkshire. I live about 10 miles from the City of Nottingham but Emley Moore is a great signal here. Look North rarely mention people in Nottingham or Lincolnshire.
    Notts TV will not be broadcast from Emley Moore so I will not get "Local" news.
    Tomorrow it will be in Virgin Media hooray!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    dcr_1999 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Probably because it's intended for the city of Nottingham :D

As such it's presumably very low power, and probably only on a single transmitter?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As such it's presumably very low power, and probably only on a single transmitter?.

It should be called "Nottingham TV" then!:cry:

That is as bad as calling my favourite team Notts Forest:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, two Transmitters (Waltham and Nottingham) with coverage as far East as Spalding with power levels in excess of the pre-DSO Multiplex 5 and 6 at both sites.

Alas many parts of Nottingham and it's immediate surrounds aren't served from those transmitters (Belmont being used at the eastern edge of the city, Sutton Coldfield in the city centre and higher ground to the east, Emley Moor to the north) and also needing a relay at Eastwood (a couple of miles to the West of the Nottingham transmitter - but shadowed from the Nottingham transmitter itself).

The service is also broadcast on directional antennas - no so much a problem from Waltham which is well to the South East of the city, but it means part of the Nottingham urban area (which extends down the A610 to Ripley and Alfreton) to the West of the Nottingham transmitter site can't see it - the CoMux transmissions from the Nottingham site ore on the same frequency as a multiplex from Stanton Moor and Belper transmitter sites - the former of which is (was) available in parts of Nottingham (back in the analogue days at least).
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone managing to pick this up in Derby?

I can't try for it as we had the aerial turned to Sutton Coldfield to improve free view reception.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I am waiting for Tyne and Wear TV to launch.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    Nope, two Transmitters (Waltham and Nottingham) with coverage as far East as Spalding with power levels in excess of the pre-DSO Multiplex 5 and 6 at both sites.

So low power then? :D
  • Options
    onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »

I can't try for it as we had the aerial turned to Sutton Coldfield to improve free view reception.

It's coming through well (signal 50%) on my youview boxes in Loughborough (Leicestershire). I'm receiving off Waltham.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »

Not in Derby.

As shown on the Ofcom docs, the local TV mux antenna beam is north and east from Waltham. Mb21 shows the local TV antenna erected on the north and east sides of the Waltham mast.

The edge of the northern beam hits particularly SE Nottingham, with splatters of signal elsewhere in the area - partly thanks to topography. Loughborough is technically outside of the coverage area, but thanks to the robust transmission parameters being used by the local TV multiplex, it can be picked up in a slightly wider area than the official maps and predictors show.

Based on the parameters of the antenna, I can only envisage Notts TV being picked up from Waltham in Derby in somewhere like the top end of Spondon or Oakwood if very lucky. Otherwise, the coverage just about catches some of the villages to the east of Derby.

Nottingham (M1, J26) transmitter beams primarily east and southwards away from Derby. Nottingham itself is only just in the area where local TV can fit on interleaved spectrum; the biggest coverage area is in the relatively sparsely populated parts of east Nottinghamshire and south Lincolnshire.

The restrictions in the direction of Derby arise because UHF channels 26 and 50 are used by other transmitters in locations to the west of Nottingham. (Ch. 26 from The Wrekin can on occasion be received in Derby, and was an issue during the digital switchover when Waltham was using the same UHF channel for a pre-DSO multiplex. The changes at the Wrekin triggered one of the many Waltham retunes at the time.)

There is talk of the channel being available on Sky. If this does happen, unless a new postcode area is created, Notts TV could end up being available to all households in postcodes assigned to BBC East Midlands, in the same way STV Glasgow appears to be going to be available in the entire STV Central (West) micro region area on Sky.
  • Options
    SimplyastagSimplyastag Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Notts TV has now appeared on Virgin Channel 159. I'd assume that it's available to all customers on the Nottingham cable network which should include Mansfield too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on here in Mansfield. Well it will be after 4pm. Virgin media is my portal to my spiritual home (Bulwell).
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I get an excellent signal here in Leicester Forest East, to the west of Leicester, but family in East Leake - much closer to Nottingham - gets a much poorer signal.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I get an excellent signal here in Leicester Forest East, to the west of Leicester, but family in East Leake - much closer to Nottingham - gets a much poorer signal.

East Leake is outside of the official coverage area. The main part of the beam from the Waltham transmitter misses them.

The Leicester Forest East area is a good location for TV reception, with some postcodes predicted to receive TV transmissions from up to four different main transmitters, although also officially outside of the local TV reception zone. The coverage map shows a very thin slither of coverage coming out the back of Waltham over Melton Mowbray toward the area. I think reception from Nottingham in Leicester Forest East would be blocked by the higher ground around Charnwood Forest/Copt Oak, which also acts as a barrier between the Nottingham and Sandy Heath transmitters who co-channel on the main national multiplexes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I get an excellent signal here in Leicester Forest East

34% strength with 100% quality here in Countesthorpe (log periodic on Waltham).
  • Options
    ampexampex Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    We get a pretty solid signal here in Sutton-in-Ashfield - but I find the bright digital graphics ('Notts TV' and the programme name) intrusive. I also don't want to chance burn-in on my TV screen, which is caused by a static image remaining on it for a number of hours. Some say this is not a problem with LCD televisions but that is really a half-truth. It is a fact that LCD displays are immune to phosphor burn, simply because LCD televisions do not use phosphor to create the television picture (unlike the old cathode ray tubes) but this does not mean LCD displays are immune to the effects of static images - especially bright ones. On LCD displays, this is now referred to as image retention.

LCD panels use a complicated process of organizing liquid crystal molecules into a twisted or untwisted state, which allows polarized light to pass through the liquid crystal substrate. Over time, it is possible these liquid crystals can get used to the state of twist they are in, causing a static image, very similar to phosphor 'burn-in' and to be visible on your TV screen permanently. Not very nice if you have recently forked out several hundred pounds for your television! Just why nearly every station has started to use these digital on-screen graphics is difficult to explain. After all, the programme and information guide on your remote does it for you and the information is removed from the screen automatically after a short period of time or at the touch of a button.

As a final comment: remember, LCD burn-in (image retention or whatever you want to call it is NOT covered by any manufacturer's warranty!
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Contact them. If they get enough complaints they'll probably tone it down - like C5 did when they started.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Decent reception here in Leicester (waltham transmitter)
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50% signal strength and 100% quality here in Newark.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would I be right in thinking that once you all found the station there was nothing worth watching on it as you haven't commented on any content?
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Would I be right in thinking that once you all found the station there was nothing worth watching on it as you haven't commented on any content?

You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment. I suspect a lot of abuse if I give my comments on the content!
  • Options
    upthemaggiesupthemaggies Posts: 337
    Forum Member

I watch very little broadcast television these days as I find most of it hysterical or too frantic, so in that respect Notts TV makes for a refreshing change as it generally seems to be at a slower pace, like TV of 30 years ago. I've watched the news and "The Boot Room" and I'll probably tune in to those fairly regularly.

The annoying thing about it for me is the adverts, usually the same two/three ad nauseam with Esther Rantzen pushing accident compensation claims, the "please give £2 to save the world" charity and one for BT. I guess that happens on a lot of other channels but I was rather hoping it would be local business ads only, though maybe that wouldn't be financially viable. The weather is very poor too, just a single static caption that covers today, tomorrow and the day after. They could do with a basic weather map that gives you some idea of how things will change over time and would also help identify their target areas. They talk about Mansfield Town football club, but I'm not sure if they're interested in Southwell, Newark, Long Eaton etc.

I hope it proves to be a success but I fear there's a general willingness for these stations to fail.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The annoying thing about it for me is the adverts, usually the same two/three ad nauseam with Esther Rantzen pushing accident compensation claims, the "please give £2 to save the world" charity and one for BT. I guess that happens on a lot of other channels but I was rather hoping it would be local business ads only, though maybe that wouldn't be financially viable. /QUOTE]

I have not seen many local firms advertise on London Live either. Great Ormond street appears quite often mainly in the day. I am not a hugh fan of the station but at least there is no soaps or teleshopping at least so far

Looking at Notts tv ilne up. it looks ok although they seem to repeat a lot but then they are not the only ones.
    Notts tv & STV Glasgow which starts tomorrow have better line ups in my opinion but STV have a news service already in place. I have not been impressed with local news I have seen so far especially London Live with the exception of platform 8 on Sundays & Hop Topic on Estuary tv is not bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The annoying thing about it for me is the adverts, usually the same two/three ad nauseam with Esther Rantzen pushing accident compensation claims, the "please give £2 to save the world" charity and one for BT. I guess that happens on a lot of other channels but I was rather hoping it would be local business ads only, though maybe that wouldn't be financially viable. The weather is very poor too, just a single static caption that covers today, tomorrow and the day after.
    There has been a local coffee shop advertising too (only seen a single add mind) - there is enough padding round them to imply they are working to get more advertisers on board.

The programmes are okay, a bit rough round the edges but that's too be expected when we've been bought up on the BBC's budget! The content is okay but in many cases is a tad drawn out - many of the 30 minute shows could do with a 20 minute slot (although Noise Floor could do with a longer slot - and in this programmes case it would be noice if there were some local music on the tv over brekkie :cool: )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The annoying thing about it for me is the adverts, usually the same two/three ad nauseam with Esther Rantzen pushing accident compensation claims, the "please give £2 to save the world" charity and one for BT. I guess that happens on a lot of other channels but I was rather hoping it would be local business ads only, though maybe that wouldn't be financially viable.
    Going into week two and the local ads are increasing - Wired café in town, Central college, DG Cars, NHS Nottingham City, and a local lanyard firm have all been on tonight.

I've been wondering what the weird thing going on with the sound has been for the last week - just cottoned on today that it's a lack of background music drowning out the speech! :cool:

Most of the teething troubles seem to have been ironed out too (although they still keep chopping the top of Mark Masterton's head off) - is it just me or does the picture judder quite a lot on panning shots (or when there is quick horizontal movement - e.g. trams moving past)? - It could just be the signal being border-line as it shows signs of impulsive interference I've not seen since DSO. They could do with adding episode descriptions to the EPG data too.