Options

Would you pay for BT sport?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Do sky still charge extra for HD and people are still prepared to pay extra for HD?

Crazy

BT also charge extra for HD.
    As do Virgin.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    BT also charge extra for HD.
    As do Virgin.

Don't go there, you know the VM customers don't believe they are paying extra for HD.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    when will sky bt virgin ect realize their is a great big world of internet where you can get every game of football and every sport played in the world for free, not great quality but free, my advice to those companies is pitch your price so people think I would pay
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT have excellent coverage of Rugby union. I get it through VM and I would pay for it if it was not included in xl pack. The odd football match is a bonus but most of the stuff on bt sport is not interesting. I have not put it on these past few weeks.
  • Options
    TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking...

What do you think the subscription will be for 2015/16 season when BT sports has champions league etc ?

I can see not free with BT broadband

Skysports £ ???

BT Sports ??
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Just...NO!!!
    Same price... Are you having a laugh?!?!?!
    To get SS, you first MUST take an entertainment channels package. THEN you can add SS to it and if you want it in HD, you're talking around £60 a month all in all.
    BT Sport HD, £15 a month and some top quality sport and will be the exclusive UCL home from next year.
    Absolutely laughable!!

So has it changed now, can you subscribe to BT Sports without having other packages with BT, Sky or Virgin ?
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    So has it changed now, can you subscribe to BT Sports without having other packages with BT, Sky or Virgin ?
    You can purchase BT Sport separately for £12pm (£15pm HD) and watch it via a Sky box with a valid viewing card (including Freesat From Sky cards, which don't require a subscription). You don't even need a phone or internet provider.

To get it free you obviously need BT Broadband, which in turn means you need some kind of line rental. However, broadband at this point is a utility, meaning most people have it or need it anyway. Sky's Family Bundle isn't.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Pay for sport ?
    Never have ,never will.
    With a price hike due in September.................

http://money.aol.co.uk/2014/06/27/price-of-sky-tv-to-rise-by-up-to-10/#!slide=aol_2472714

Regards
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

On a Sky box, you've never had to buy additional packages for to then be able to subscribe to BT Sport.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, it hasn't changed, you can STILL subscribe to BT Sport with nothing else, like you could from day 1.
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it hasn't changed, you can STILL subscribe to BT Sport with nothing else, like you could from day 1.

The way I understand it, it virtually impossible to subscribe to BT Sport without buying another product. Unless you count the none PVR option from Freesat from Sky with set up costs).

With Setanta you could buy a card and use a CAM on Freeview with BT Sports you seem to have the added cost of BT Broadband, a Sky/Virgin package.

If there is a way of getting BT Sport without any other cost (with a working PVR), I'd like to know about it. I'm in the process of planning this seasons subscriptions.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way I understand it, it virtually impossible to subscribe to BT Sport without buying another product. Unless you count the none PVR option from Freesat from Sky with set up costs).

With Setanta you could buy a card and use a CAM on Freeview with BT Sports you seem to have the added cost of BT Broadband, a Sky/Virgin package.

If there is a way of getting BT Sport without any other cost (with a working PVR), I'd like to know about it. I'm in the process of planning this seasons subscriptions.

Changing the goal posts in your comment now, you never said on a PVR o rno setup costs in your original post!

You clearly stated can you get BT Sport without other packages, which you can, with a FreesatFromSky card.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Toen wrote: »
    I have not put it on these past few weeks.
    Not been watching Baker & Kelly Not In Rio? The best bit of tv available at the moment, outside of the actual football that's going on.

Do people on here know that Plus Net customers can get BT Sport for £5.99 a month, add another £1.50 for HD. £7.49 a month is a bottle of wine; a no brainer - why wouldn't you?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like I've got to pay any extra. Had a phone call to keep receiving BT Sport just needed to extend my BB/Phone contact for another 12 months on the same deal package. Was already on a deal for BB/Phone with still 6 months remaining so said yes. No mention either of having to pay extra for HD.
  • Options
    rj414irj414i Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Doesn't look like I've got to pay any extra. Had a phone call to keep receiving BT Sport just needed to extend my BB/Phone contact for another 12 months on the same deal package. Was already on a deal for BB/Phone with still 6 months remaining so said yes. No mention either of having to pay extra for HD.

There is a £3 HD charge that commences on the 1st August, which I checked last week when I re contracted.

They would not budge on the fee/cost of the HD add on!

Keep an eye on your bill :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Not been watching Baker & Kelly Not In Rio? The best bit of tv available at the moment, outside of the actual football that's going on.

Do people on here know that Plus Net customers can get BT Sport for £5.99 a month, add another £1.50 for HD. £7.49 a month is a bottle of wine; a no brainer - why wouldn't you?

Decent deal, only issue is if you take it through a PlusNet deal, you get no access to the BT Sport App or BTSport.com online streams. Its TV only.
    where as subscribe with a deal from BT, or on a Sky or Virgin Media box, you can access the BT Sport App and BT Sport online
    So while its cheaper, its cheaper because of the loss of an additional service
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheapest way is to get a second-hand Sky HD box and a second-hand Freesat From Sky card, then just buy BT Sport from BT. It's of course cheaper if you have broadband from BT, TalkTalk, or Plusnet, who all do deals.

I was quite lucky since I already had all of the prerequisites and was already a BT Infinity customer on a discount so I got BT Sport HD for absolutely nothing last year. £3pm this season though. :(
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid for it last season but barely watched any of the channels because a lot of their Premier League games kicked off while I was at work. I tried cancelling last week but the guy I spoke to was desperate to keep me as a customer, he kept going off to speak to his manager to authorise different offers that he could give me. I kept refusing but could see that the conversation wasn't getting anywhere and eventually just gave in to his offer of a free subscription to all their channels for three months. Once that offer ends, I'm just gonna cancel my direct debit with them haha.

I might subscribe to them again once their Champions League coverage starts. I'm not a fan of their Premier League coverage though, Sky are way ahead of them at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One United wrote: »
    I paid for it last season but barely watched any of the channels because a lot of their Premier League games kicked off while I was at work. I tried cancelling last week but the guy I spoke to was desperate to keep me as a customer, he kept going off to speak to his manager to authorise different offers that he could give me. I kept refusing but could see that the conversation wasn't getting anywhere and eventually just gave in to his offer of a free subscription to all their channels for three months. Once that offer ends, I'm just gonna cancel my direct debit with them haha.

I might subscribe to them again once their Champions League coverage starts. I'm not a fan of their Premier League coverage though, Sky are way ahead of them at the moment.

Enjoy having a debt collection agency knocking on your door and having issues getting credit aswell as subscribing to them again, because thats what'll happen if you do that.
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah sure, just like when I cancelled my direct debit with Sky Protect. Oh wait, that's right nothing happened except that they cancelled my subscription.

BT can do what they want. I'm not that bothered tbh, companies should allow their customers to cancel whenever they want. He asked me why I wanted to cancel my subscription and I gave him valid reasons, and yet he wouldn't let me. He went back to his manager five times and kept coming back with a new offer, when it was clear I wasn't interested. In the end I just gave up because a conversation that should have lasted two minutes went on for about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One United wrote: »
    Yeah sure, just like when I cancelled my direct debit with Sky Protect. Oh wait, that's right nothing happened except that they cancelled my subscription.

BT can do what they want. I'm not that bothered tbh, companies should allow their customers to cancel whenever they want. He asked me why I wanted to cancel my subscription and I gave him valid reasons, and yet he wouldn't let me. He went back to his manager five times and kept coming back with a new offer, when it was clear I wasn't interested. In the end I just gave up because a conversation that should have lasted two minutes went on for about 15 minutes.

Good luck with that...
    And thats your problem for not being firm enough with them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having been away from Sky for many years and coming back recently on one of those very good deals, I have to say I was disappointed with the downturn in quality. Having been subtly entertaining before I left, I found Soccer Saturday to feature a bunch of ego maniacs feigning excitement and trying to shout louder than each other in a vein attempt to attract as much airtime as possible.

It gave me a headache and I had to turn it off. I'd head back to Countdown if I was you, Jeff.

What I found most alarming about the football coverage is the shameless heavy promotion of readily available betting facilities, preying on the vulnerable for profit.

And the product itself, the Premier League, is lacking in the excitement and unpredictability that it once had. The bubble will burst and the broadcasters will find that they have, finally, overpaid for a stale, complacent product. Formula 1 faces a similar fate - Bernie won't be able to give it away next time the contract is up.

The Sky deal will run its course and I'll cease subscription again. I get BT Sport at no charge as part of my broadband deal so will keep it as long as it lasts. They're not as smug and self congratulating as Sky. Yet.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ears wrote: »
    I get BT Sport at no charge as part of my broadband deal so will keep it as long as it lasts. They're not as smug and self congratulating as Sky. Yet.

but the product is still lacking in the excitement and unpredictability that it once had surely? being on a different channel doesn't make the product different.
  • Options
    PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The free HD for one year was always the deal, plus only available on one box for "free". Not sure why the OP has a problem with this. As BT has now more or less cornered the rights for rugby and football by trumping Sky, where else are you going to watch these sports? £3 extra for HD for me is not a biggy, but then if want to watch most sport on TV you need Sky or BT channels for which you are going to have to pay for.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never watched anything on BT Sport except English football.

I had it free and in HD as I had BT Broadband.

I left BT Broadband in the middle of May this year and lost my BT Sport. It took me three weeks to even notice. In the year I had BT Sport, I NEVER watched BT Sport 2 or ESPN.

Would I have ever paid anything for it? No, definitely not.

My betting is that when BT Sport starts showing Champions League in 2015, they will start charging everybody and their prices will shoot up dramatically.