Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• clairescavysclairescavys Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine met David Attenborough in Africa and said he was a real gent. What you see on TV is what he's like in real life, full of enthusiasm with a great passion for wildlife.

So glad to hear that, I love David Attenborough and have quite a lot of his series on DVD. Recently I caught what seemed to be a 'behind the scenes' programme of him on one of his series and he came across as a really lovely chap with a real passion for what he does (basically I agree with you)!
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I banged her daughter Rebecca who is very boring in .... :eek:, met ER once , vile is an understatement.

Rebecca always has a look on her face as if she's being taken up the arse permanently.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make sure to never arrange a "meet and greet" with Charlotte Church:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Served Rod Stewart in a restaurant once, a delight, very charming.

A friend served Colin and Justin though, and said the fem one was a complete prick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well talk about shocking, my nephew went to Birmingham today to meet Liam from Oasis, I was scared so much because it never works out meeting your idol.

Can you believe he is apparently not the Liam we know??
    Complimented my nephews clothes, gave him a cuddle, signed his stuff, took photos. My nephew after a few mins said its so nice to meet you, Liam said no its so nice to meet you!

I mean, i just didnt expect that? the photos are cute.

Bless
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Well talk about shocking, my nephew went to Birmingham today to meet Liam from Oasis, I was scared so much because it never works out meeting your idol.

Can you believe he is apparently not the Liam we know??
    Complimented my nephews clothes, gave him a cuddle, signed his stuff, took photos. My nephew after a few mins said its so nice to meet you, Liam said no its so nice to meet you!

I mean, i just didnt expect that? the photos are cute.

Bless

That's great to hear.
  • FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    Rebecca always has a look on her face as if she's being taken up the arse permanently.

like mother.like daughter, nasty vindictive girl who did not like getting dumped, (i had a very good reason to get rid).
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a cautionary tale

I met Jennifer Saunders once at a private dinner i was sat oppsite and to her right, while we were all chattering she was quiet, i leaned in slightly and said "miss saunders? im a real fan of your work its nice to meet you", she just said "really?" sort of looked disgusted yawned and got up and went to the loo when she came back she didnt speak to anyone but her male friend who was with her (very openly camp) and the hostess, i thought how rude and impervious she was, a month or so later it came out about the cancer and she'd already known she had it, when sat at the dinner table. I try not to make snap judgements when meeting people now

having said that bryan ferry was charm itself after i heard he was arrogant and rude from others, so you never know huh?
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    a cautionary tale

I met Jennifer Saunders once at a private dinner i was sat oppsite and to her right, while we were all chattering she was quiet, i leaned in slightly and said "miss saunders? im a real fan of your work its nice to meet you", she just said "really?" sort of looked disgusted yawned and got up and went to the loo when she came back she didnt speak to anyone but her male friend who was with her (very openly camp) and the hostess, i thought how rude and impervious she was, a month or so later it came out about the cancer and she'd already known she had it, when sat at the dinner table. I try not to make snap judgements when meeting people now

having said that bryan ferry was charm itself after i heard he was arrogant and rude from others, so you never know huh?

I'm sorry but she still sounds quite rude to me. It isn't your fault she has cancer and a 'thank you' would have been more polite than 'really?' and yawning. You're not psychic, you weren't to know about her illness and it sounds like you were very polite to her. If she didn't want to talk shop she could have said the thank you then gone to the loo to drop the subject. And in case anyone thinks I'm being hard hearted there have been a few people in my family/social circle who have had to deal with cancer, including my father (who we lost) and a sibling, and I never saw them being rude to anyone - ever.

But giving her the benefit of the doubt, she might have just been told, was in shock and was acting out of character.

Love this thread though.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also in Jennifer's defence, she is apparently quite painfully shy and feels awkward sometimes when talking to people she doesn't know. Very shy peole can come across as aloof and standoffish sometimes. (Even Dawn French has said that she thought Jennifer was unfriendly when she first met her, but once she got to know her she realised that she isn't actually unfriendly at all.) Add that to the fact that she had recently found out that she had cancer, and I think her behaviour is a lot more understandable.

But I'm biased, because I think she is a beatiful and extremely talented lady! However, it's hard to imagine that the lovely Ade Edmondson would be so in love with someone who wasn't a very nice person, so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt!
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People I've met:

Olly Murs - absolutely lovely, gave everyone kisses and made sure everyone got a photo if they wanted

John and Edward - LOVELY! SO different to on camera and really accomodating to fans, even when they're being dragged away. Make an effort to know your name.

Ryan Tubridy - Again, lovely! Not many of you will know him though, I guess.

Rhys Ifans - Very nice and quite hot :p

I think that's all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't met many famous people so I can't really comment but one person I think looks like an absolute bitch off camera is Kate Beckinsale. She just looks really cold.

ETA I met Yvette Fielding recently and she irritated the hell out of me on Most Haunted but she was really lovely and we had quite a long chat. It helped that I had no idea who she was before Most Haunted and my husband thought it was hilarious, reminding me that she'd been a Blue Peter presenter too.:o

I think she appreciated not being asked anything too personal, we barely spoke about Most Haunted at all.
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it must vary on when you catch some of them.
    I met Samantha Bond some years back after seeing her in Macbeth with Sean Bean.

She couldn't have been more friendly & chatted with me for about 20 minutes after the show. I even joked with her that I could be the next Bond when Pierce stepped down I was ex forces, younger, fitter weapons trained & I thought it was long past time Bond & Moneypenny got together. She was really good about it signed my programme & jokingly promised to pass my name on to the produceers for the next Bond movie.

Sadly they gave it to some bloke called Daniel Craig

In any event she was real class.

Hmmm, I worked on a drama with her for a few weeks years ago and she wasn't a crew favourite.....!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine met David Attenborough in Africa and said he was a real gent. What you see on TV is what he's like in real life, full of enthusiasm with a great passion for wildlife.

He is absolutely lovely! Very interesting, very humble and just lovely. Always looked forward to when he came into the office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Ooo, tell more, please!

Hmmm, can't really say too much but there's a lot of gloss and one must be prepared to kiss ass!
    PS - Sorry for all these posts, I've only just logged back on to this thread and I don't know how to multi-quote!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Bruce Willis comes across as a horrible person...even in interviews
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, can't really say too much but there's a lot of gloss and one must be prepared to kiss ass!
    PS - Sorry for all these posts, I've only just logged back on to this thread and I don't know how to multi-quote!

Just use the quote tag after you've copied the bit you wanted from each post. You'll have to have two windows open for this. This is the way I do it, anyway.
    Forum Member
    Or just press the mini quote button....(2nd one in from left) to quote all the replies you want to and then press reply as you normally would. "add reply"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I met Danny Dyer in Blackpool recently (he was sitting his driving test through the same company as me). He was absolutely lovely to everyone and was very down to earth, warm and chatty. He was harrased through his lunch (at Morrisons of all places) but didn't mind at all and seemed like a genuinely nice and unaffected person :)
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    My friend worked on a film with Colin Firth and said he was miserable and moaned all the time. He even went so far to say that he would think twice about accepting another role if Mr Firth was involved. Believe you me, my actor friend is not at the stage where he can pick and choose his parts haha :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Just use the quote tag after you've copied the bit you wanted from each post. You'll have to have two windows open for this. This is the way I do it, anyway.
    Or just press the mini quote button....(2nd one in from left) to quote all the replies you want to and then press reply as you normally would. "add reply"

Thank you! :D
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Met quite a few clebs over the years, the only ones who were a bit iffy were James Bolan and Rodney Bewes. They were filming The Likely Lads film in my hometown (this was in the 70's mind) and refused to sign any autographs for anyone. They weren't rude mind, just refused to sign.
    Nicest man I've met - David Tennant, met him in a bar in Cardiff - lovely bloke.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend's husband worked on Gavin and Stacey. He said that everyone involved in the show was lovely except for James Corden, who was horrible. He also said that he worked with John Barrowman, who was not a nice man at all.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    True story - a few years ago two female friends of mine, wrote to Michael Winner saying how much they enjoyed his "Winners Dinners" series of articles that were published in a British newspaper. They told him that they were planning on having a few days in London and would love to invite him out, at their own expense, for a meal if he would care to recommend a restaurant to them. He replied and a time and date was duly made. On the evening in question the girls turned up only to be told by the maitre de that Mr Winner was unfortunately unable to attend. Disapointed the girls decided to enjoy themselves anyway. For the whole meal they were fussed over by the head waiter, the head wine waiter etc. At the end of the evening when they asked for the (rather large) bill they were told that Mr Winner had telephoned from Bermuda to enquire if they had enjoyed their meal and also to pay the bill for them !