Girls Aloud: Which solo career do you rate the most...?

Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who do you think has been the most interesting as a solo artist, not just in terms of success, but also potential, music, styling etc...

1. Nicola/Cheryl - For me they are tied...Nicola has better music by far, but her styling is abysmal, the opposite is true for Cheryl, her image sold her music...
3. Nadine - Badly executed, but I actually thought her album was really solid...it is such a shame that tracks like Chained and Put Your Hands Up got overlooked...
4. Kimberly- Not really that great at all...she just cannot sing or dance, and doesn't even have the image to back up

5. Sarah - When is her stuff getting released? I heard she was going down the club/dance route...could be good, but then again she is a pretty horrendous singer

What do you guys think, who is your favourite solo artist from Girls Aloud...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Nicola, she is the most unique, but I don't really like her song. I thought it would do better than Nadine's though :(
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I just want them to get together and let Xenomania make them some good songs again.:(
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want them to get together and let Xenomania make them some good songs again.:(

I thought Xenomania split up though?
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »

I hadn't hear that.
    I hope it's not true, they're very good.

Alright, the girls are doomed.:(
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One of the song writers left apparently, but it doesn't stop her writing the songs and getting the rest of the Xenomania team to produce the album.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kimberly, because she hasn't released any god awful singles, and makes documentaries highlighting her lovely curvy figure.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5. Sarah - When is her stuff getting released? I heard she was going down the club/dance route...could be good, but then again she is a pretty horrendous singer

To be fair to Sarah she knew that performance was going to be bad because in the interview the presenters said something like 'You're performing for us later, unreliably I'm informed'...they went out the night before because it was the last day of work for the year. Kimberley was also really bad in that performance.

That has to be one of my favourite performances from them. Not for the vocals because they're quite bad but you could tell they all were dead to the world, Cheryl and Sarah wanted to laugh right in the middle, Cheryl went to grab Sarahs hand but she moved it away, Nadines face when Sarahs hitting those notes and she was edging away from her etc

They should get back together.
  • ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola - From being the shy one from the band she really pushed herself into her limelight by her solo career. And she gaining confidence in herself she's good enough as the other girls and I applaud her for that.
  • batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Nicola's definitely.

Also, that note in the video is horrendous, though I love the look between her and Cheryl near the end. :p
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily Cheryls.

In the last few years she's gone from being 1/5th of a girl group to being the most famous person in Britain. I love her solo material, as do many (except on DS, where for some reason it's not cool to like her :confused: ). Her 3 years on The X Factor really added a lot to the show. It's too bad X Factor USA didn't work out for her. And of course theres all the charity work shes done which in turn gave her the infamous malaria virus, and being cheated on by Ashley. When Girls Aloud eventually do split up (I'm thinking they'll get back together the end of this year, 1 more studio album then a final greatest hits album / tour before ending on a high) Cheryl will be the one still famous for years and years afterwords.

As for the others, I loved Insatiable, amazing song. Too bad it didn't kick off. Like U Like was a great song too! Beat of my Drum is alright, not the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily Cheryls.

In the last few years she's gone from being 1/5th of a girl group to being the most famous person in Britain. I love her solo material, as do many (except on DS, where for some reason it's not cool to like her :confused: ). Her 3 years on The X Factor really added a lot to the show. It's too bad X Factor USA didn't work out for her. And of course theres all the charity work shes done which in turn gave her the infamous malaria virus, and being cheated on by Ashley. When Girls Aloud eventually do split up (I'm thinking they'll get back together the end of this year, 1 more studio album then a final greatest hits album / tour before ending on a high) Cheryl will be the one still famous for years and years afterwords.

As for the others, I loved Insatiable, amazing song. Too bad it didn't kick off. Like U Like was a great song too! Beat of my Drum is alright, not the best.

I thought she got malaria on holiday in South Africa with Derek Hough, not from doing charity work? :confused:
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she got malaria on holiday in South Africa with Derek Hough, not from doing charity work? :confused:

Could well have been, I just assumed it was when she climbed Mount Kilimanjaro.
  • _Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadine aka the only one who can sing

I couldn't give a shit about Biff & her arselicker or even Nicola.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as a massive GA fan i do like them all! I have and will buy all their solo stuff, i've always said that and i've bought ALL the solo releases singles and albums so far and generally i think they're all doing amazing going in different avenues and very proud how far they have come as a group and as individuals forming separate career paths and the ventures they have partaken in.

1. Cheryl - I really liked her debut FFTL, and Promise This in particular. Like all her singles i do like Parachute. Both her albums are brilliant in my opinion. I'm impressed by all the performances and stuff and i think she has great potential even now to go on to more studio albums, tours and a singles collection. Think along with Robbie Williams she will be the rarity for pop bands for having successful solo careers. Her career has been executed brilliantly. She's mega famous despite not having X Factor or whateva. On the negative however she does mime alot and her website is abit of shambles but generally impressed by songs, her performance style and how she's pulled this all off.

2. Nadine - She doesn't get enough credit for how good her album was. It was dated yes. But the songs where really good, and there where some real gems on that record and actually i've always said to me Insatiable the single sounds like a number 1 record, it's just a shame the Tesco thing she did and generally the interviews she did herself coming out with egotistical stuff and the gap she has with the other girls. She did songwrite lots and take charge to her credit. Her solo site was really good, and she's quite nice with fans on her twitter but the quotes of being lead singer, being distant with the girls, the cheryl v nadine text thing has made her struggle but i think she deserves some credit on her album which was packaged really well for an independent release and i even now think Insatiable is an amazing fresh catchy pop song.

3. Nicola - I like her new single, very catchy and the music video is amazing as well. Really impressed by the vibe she has taken with it. Sounds original and different and she couldbe the dark horse of this group. I think from the sounds of other songs on the album it's shaping up to be a great album. A little concerning that it charted a little lower than expected even with on air, on sale and she could potentially flop however i think they'll give it a good go with the promotion for this single, her 2nd single and her eventual album. I've put her in the middle as i like Nadine's album alot, but once i hear her album she can potentially overtake both Cheryl and Nadine.

4. Kimberley - She hasn't really expressed any desire to do the solo thing, i think she may just do some collaborations and leave it at that which is a shame. Like U Like was very good, and she makes that song good in comparison to Aggro. I think the video was good for that single too and can definitely see her doing more collabs but i want an album - i think if she wants to do it she can move to a JLo, Beyonce type vibe if she wants to, but i dont think she does.

5. Sarah - I like her and she potential but she's not done a solo single/album yet so she is last. I'm sure it'll be good though, and can definitely see her doing stuff like Lady Gaga and Pink easily, whether she will do well as more or less unanimous as the least popular member is another question. I wasn't too keen on the songs on the St Trianans soundtrack but i think she can easily surprise and cannot wait to hear her solo stuff, but i think we'll have to wait until it's her turn.

I like all the members of the group, but Nadine's always been my fave from the start but i do like them all. Cheryl has stunned me with her career and songs. Nadine's i'm sure going to have another go at her solo career and i'm sure she'll do better. Nicola hasn't done too bad with this single but i'm sure they'll rethink their strategy with it. Kim i can't wait for more singles or even a album after she has had some hits and Sarah i am pretty sure is launching this year or the next before they reform - cannot wait. They're the best pop group of the decade for me - no question.
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comercially i rate Cheryl way above the rest as shes went from being a girl from a girlband to one of the richest women in Britain.

However overall I would say Nicola. Her new material sounds great and she has co wrote her album and has made an album that nobody would expect from her. She was probably the least known but she will be one of the most successful musically.

However I really like Cheryls first album. I think it represents her and her own musical tastes but i thouhgt her 2nd album was too rushed and very generic and moved away from the rnb sound she had on 3 Words.

I wish Nadine had a better label/team around her as she is the VOICE and should be the most successful,but I like the way she has been smart and bought a Bar in LA as a backup to music.

Kimberley has did bits of presenting and I like her she seems really warm and a nice person and is good on tv, as she cant really sing so that was a good move for her.

And well Sarah hasnt really did anything she had a bit part in a film and was supposed to be recording an album but im glad she didnt as she cant sing and should stick to being a party girl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimberley has one of the most AWFUL excuses for a voice I have ever heard.

Even Jenny Frost sounds better than her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Venger_ wrote: »
    Kimberley has one of the most AWFUL excuses for a voice I have ever heard.

Even Jenny Frost sounds better than her

She is probably as weak (if not more) than Cheryl...I felt embarrassed for her when she duetted with Ne-Yo she sounded so awful...:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is probably as weak (if not more) than Cheryl...I felt embarrassed for her when she duetted with Ne-Yo she sounded so awful...:cool:

Just listen to this, how anyone can argue that this sounds half decent is beyond me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caoO6jQ_CaM
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of all the released material, Promise This is easily the best pop song. So, Chezza for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    1. Nicola - i am really looking forward to her album, she has been my favourite in the band and i also think she has the best voice, as she said that she hasn't really had the chance to show off her voice whilst in girls aloud.

2. Cheryl - i actually really like her music, her albums have been pretty solid, a bit generic but good!

3. Nadine - i think she had a lot of potential, there were some great songs on her album but with too many slow songs on the second half, shouda been more electro like the first half. if it was released a few years earlier and not just with tesco it would have been more successful
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    This is how I would rank them:

1. Nicola - I absolutely love the 2 tracks I've heard so far, they're right up there with, if not better than classic GA. I know we haven't had a full album yet, but just from the diversity of the two songs, and the strength of Nicola's voice, I think we're in for a great album. The single didn't chart as well as I would have liked it to, but then again the official release isn't until 18 July (not that I think it will do any better then), but it isn't really about the sales with her, seeing as she's (deservedly) had critical success. Beat of My Drum is GENIUS.

2. Cheryl - Hasn't had a consistently good album, but there have been flashes of greatness thrown in. Fight For This Love was a genuinely good pop song, and I've enjoyed all the respective follow up singles, except for maybe The Flood, although that isn't a bad song. The albums are a bit patchy, and Messy Little Raindrops in particular felt really rushed, but there are some great hidden gems in there - Stand Up, Rain on Me, Amnesia. I think some people have taken a major dislike to her, but her music is actually quite good on the whole.

3. Sarah - Again hasn't done a proper album, but the bits of recording she's done I really enjoyed. There were a few tracks on the St Trinians 2 soundtrack that were great, and GA fans should check out Too Bad if they haven't already, it sounds like vintage Xenomania. Even Sarah's screeching doesn't ruin the song. I don't think music is her focus really, but I'm definitely going to keep an open mind about an album if it (somehow) comes to life.

4. Kimberly - Doesn't have a strong voice, and I think she would be the first to admit that. But she does have a lovely tone to it, and she sounded quite good on the Aggro Santos track. She's my favourite member, so obviously I'm slightly biased, but I've also enjoyed the majority of her performances on TV, she did a jazz cover of Rainy Days & Mondays with Jamie Cullum that was absolutely lovely. I'm glad she's going for TV rather than music though, as I'm not sure her voice is diverse enough to sustain my interest for a whole album, and I couldn't handle not liking something she did.

5. Nadine - Did not like Insatiable at all. I think people enjoy her as some sort of anti-Cheryl, but her album was equally as mediocre as some of Cheryl's songs. Runnin' is by far the best song on the album, and I hope she gets more success in the US with it than she did here in the UK. I don't dislike her, but I think her attitude towards the girls in interviews, intimating she's more of a genuine musician/better in general than the others because she can write and has a good voice put me off her a bit. A good voice means nothing when you have material as bland and dated as she had.

I do like the collective Girls Aloud better than its component parts, but they all have some strengths.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listen to this, how anyone can argue that this sounds half decent is beyond me?

That was SHOCKING :eek::eek::eek:

Both of them are atrocious! But she should be so ashamed of herself to even stand there and pretend to be a singer...she is SO out of tune even with the backing track on full volume...mad props to her for singing live, but my goodness she sounded so bad....

Also do you think that they auto-tune rappers? Because Aggro Santos sounds so out of tune...though she is worse...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was SHOCKING :eek::eek::eek:

Both of them are atrocious! But she should be so ashamed of herself to even stand there and pretend to be a singer...she is SO out of tune even with the backing track on full volume...mad props to her for singing live, but my goodness she sounded so bad....

Also do you think that they auto-tune rappers? Because Aggro Santos sounds so out of tune...though she is worse...:rolleyes:

haha it is indeed shocking, you can now see why Kimberley rarely got to sing in Girls Aloud other than in the chorus.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Cheryl. I really liked the 3 Words album as a whole. Messy Little Raindrops was okay. I loved her on her first series of XF and gradually went off her as the serieses went on but she still added something to the show and I am going to miss her.

2. Nadine. Insatiable was a pretty poor album I must admit, but there were a few songs on it I really liked (Put Your Hands Up, Runnin, Red Light... thats it).

3. Nicola. I love her and I really, really, really want to like BOMD but I just don't. I always thought her solo work but be amazing so I hope the rest of the album doesn't let me down. I also love the idea of a make-up range she's created for girls with pale skin. Being one myself, I hope it hits shops.

4/5: Sarah and Kimberley: Kim was always my favourite member of GA but my God, her presenting on Suck My Pop was terrible. I'm not keen on her singing voice and her speaking voice goes through me as well. She did some modelling for New Look I think it was and she looked gorgeous; she should do some more modelling and put that gorgeous figure to work.
    Sarah has always irritated me. I haven't actually heard her solo songs but she annoys me on Dating in the Dark.
    Forum Member

That is just... how did she get into the group?
    Has she started smoking A LOT over the past decade?
    That's awful.
    Really dreadful.

:eek: