Designer Julian MaDonald blasts plus size models

Comments

• Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Yes, exactly.

I think it's the mindset that has to change. Having only one plus sized model is almost as bad as not having any, it reeks of tokenism. I still think height is important for catwalk but a reasonable mix of up to (proportional) size 14 would be a good way forward.

Perhaps you're right. I just think that plus sized women have every right to be on the catwalk - after all, leaner taller women may well work better as clothes hangers and show off the clothes better... but what does that do for women size 12+ who would like to purchase something like it? It shows nothing about how it may look on them, how it may suit people with larger hips or a larger chest or whatever...

I have a lot of trouble with finding clothes because of my bust. I'm desperate for a maxi dress, but a lot of them are made in a way that my chest just won't fit into them. Seeing a larger chested woman on the runway in dresses that fit and suit them would not only mean similar dresses would appear in high street stores, but it would also show women with larger chests how to dress for their shape.

Surely it would make the designers some money too?
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well no, I don't see it as being lucky, just the size I happen to be. And the size a lot of other people happen to be. I just object to the idea that the standard catwalk model is totally removed from reality. it's not. :)

that's fine as you can totally tell the difference between someone who is naturally thin or small framed and someone who is starving herself

The high fashion models as a whole look unhealthy to me- mmy favourites are Kate Moss who while thin looks naturally thin, Lilly cole and erin o'connor who do not appear to be too skinny but they are thin

However there are too many unnaturally skinny models being held up as the ideal body shape for women which is impossible to aspire to

I have an Hour glass shaped figure and am a size 12-14 and I am totally at ease with my body and have no complaints but I hate the fact that my shape is considered obese in the fashion industry

Also I could go on a diet and lose weight but there's no changing my shape

As long as you're fit and healthy, it doesn't matter what size you are

Julian McDonald ishould just shut up- if he only wants skinny models, fine, but he should just say nothing about it
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    When it is legend that to stay as thin as he wants, many of the models take drugs to keep it that way, what is he saying that we all have to be anorexic junkies, just to wear his clothes?:eek:
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Perhaps you're right. I just think that plus sized women have every right to be on the catwalk - after all, leaner taller women may well work better as clothes hangers and show off the clothes better... but what does that do for women size 12+ who would like to purchase something like it? It shows nothing about how it may look on them, how it may suit people with larger hips or a larger chest or whatever...

I have a lot of trouble with finding clothes because of my bust. I'm desperate for a maxi dress, but a lot of them are made in a way that my chest just won't fit into them. Seeing a larger chested woman on the runway in dresses that fit and suit them would not only mean similar dresses would appear in high street stores, but it would also show women with larger chests how to dress for their shape.

Surely it would make the designers some money too?

Oh I agree with you that a mix of sizes on the catwalk would be fine. Sorry if you thought I was suggesting otherwise, I just disagreed with the idea of tokenism ie. throwing one plus size in to keep people happy. Which is why I was saying that it's the designer mindset that needs to change, not the models' size.

And yes, it logically would result in greater sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I agree with you that a mix of sizes on the catwalk would be fine. Sorry if you thought I was suggesting otherwise, I just disagreed with the idea of tokenism ie. throwing one plus size in to keep people happy. Which is why I was saying that it's the designer mindset that needs to change, not the models' size.

And yes, it logically would result in greater sales.

No no I knew you were agreeing, I was agreeing with you about tokenism and changing the mindset :)
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    A stupidly distorted headline by the DM as ever.

He said that a plus size model winning BNTM would make the show a joke, not that plus size models are all jokes.

The NTM shows look for the next super model. The reality is that the vast majority of catwalk models are size zero kinda thin. A plus size model has to be really special to make it.

I have watched a lot of the NTM shows and there is nearly always a point where the token plus size gets really upset as the designer has no clothes for them to wear on a catwalk. Designers dont take a whole range of sizes to a show. Julian is right to highlight that they wont fit in (literally) and it will be tough.

All that said, ANTM did have a plus size winner one season but how well she has done, I dont know.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand the constant call for more plus sized models, but why is it always the talk about women models? Why is there never any talk about plus sized male models?

You never ever hear anyone talk about that, I just think it is strange and in a way sexist, that male models all have to be the same shape and size, and that no-one without a six-pack is even considered model material.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member

The NTM shows look for the next super model.

Well, they try to, it rarely works out like that. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A stupidly distorted headline by the DM as ever.

He said that a plus size model winning BNTM would make the show a joke, not that plus size models are all jokes.

The NTM shows look for the next super model. The reality is that the vast majority of catwalk models are size zero kinda thin. A plus size model has to be really special to make it.

I have watched a lot of the NTM shows and there is nearly always a point where the token plus size gets really upset as the designer has no clothes for them to wear on a catwalk. Designers dont take a whole range of sizes to a show. Julian is right to highlight that they wont fit in (literally) and it will be tough.

All that said, ANTM did have a plus size winner one season but how well she has done, I dont know.

But who says that thinner women look better in clothes- most thin women don't suit corsets the wa ythat women with cleavage would

certain clothes look better on curvier women too- if they would design different types of clothes to suit different shapes and used different model types on the cat walk it would be better for everyone plus the designers would nake a fortune

there is room for all shapes and sizes on the cat walk

to be fair most of the model winners of top model contests are never seen again whether they are thin or curvy :D
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    Well, they try to, it rarely works out like that. ;)

Tis true. :D

One of the most sucessful over here is probably runner up Jade who caused a size zero stir:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2010/06/16/model-jade-mcsorley-returns-to-teesside-roots-84229-26657064/

Abbey Clancy has done OK too but clearly not in the high fashion sense.

I'm just glad Lisa S has been replaced with Elle.
    Forum Member
    But who says that thinner women look better in clothes- most thin women don't suit corsets the wa ythat women with cleavage would

certain clothes look better on curvier women too- if they would design different types of clothes to suit different shapes and used different model types on the cat walk it would be better for everyone plus the designers would nake a fortune

there is room for all shapes and sizes on the cat walk

to be fair most of the model winners of top model contests are never seen again whether they are thin or curvy :D

Personally, as a generalisation, I think thinner women tend to look better in clothes but it is the more voluptuous women who look better naked. Extremes of either end of the scale dont suit either particularly well IMO.

Corsets however, are much better suited to a voluptuous figure.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first article, with the obese woman on the catwalk, is as unhealthy as showing someone with anorexia modelling.

The second lady looks like the majority of normal sized healthy women who have had a child or two - if that was a photo of me though, I'd be mortified and get straight down the gym:o
  • LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    The first article, with the obese woman on the catwalk, is as unhealthy as showing someone with anorexia modelling.

The second lady looks like the majority of normal sized healthy women who have had a child or two - if that was a photo of me though, I'd be mortified and get straight down the gym:o

Granted, the first pic is pretty extreme, but it gets the point across. As for the second, I don't think the slight bit of flab she has is anything to worry about at all. She's a humungous size 12 by the way. ;)
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares what he say, his line for Debenhams is trash. His ridiculous comments are probably to detract from the crap he sends them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personjally, I much preferred the days when the likes of Cindy Crawford were catwalk models as their size 8/10 figure with some curves showed of the outfits far better than some of the size 0 or even double 00 that they have nowdays.

Yes, there are some clothes that suit a stick figure but a lot of designs look far better on a woman with curves and I'd like to see more of a variety to show what suits Ms Average.

Anyway, isn't 'plus size' anything above a size 8/10 in modelling? Hardly chunky is it?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They design for a body shape they fancy.

Which in their terms is pre-pubescent boys, with a straight up and down shape.

I agree, and there is something incredibly creepy and pervy about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angel Dust wrote: »
    Personjally, I much preferred the days when the likes of Cindy Crawford were catwalk models as their size 8/10 figure with some curves showed of the outfits far better than some of the size 0 or even double 00 that they have nowdays.

Yes, there are some clothes that suit a stick figure but a lot of designs look far better on a woman with curves and I'd like to see more of a variety to show what suits Ms Average.

Anyway, isn't 'plus size' anything above a size 8/10 in modelling? Hardly chunky is it?

it nakes me laugh when supermodels who have cleavage are described as curvy

such a joke
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Granted, the first pic is pretty extreme, but it gets the point across. As for the second, I don't think the slight bit of flab she has is anything to worry about at all. She's a humungous size 12 by the way. ;)

But what point? This woman has no place on the catwalk for the very simple reason that the all you see is a very obese woman and not the clothing. Catwalk is for displaying and showing off clothes.

The second model is lovely but again, she's no catwalk model since she's got a flabby belly (just stating a fact before someone jumps on me) and does not therefore have the proportions/figure that would enhance the clothing.
    Forum Member
    I agree, and there is something incredibly creepy and pervy about that.

No, that's a sweeping generalisation. All gay designer like a pre-pubescent little boy shape? Really? :confused:
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I wasn't saying the belly flab was awful, it's perfectly normal and the majority of women have a belly like that. All I meant was if one of my holiday pix with my belly showing, found it's way on to the internet, I would be mortified because I like to kid myself I'm slim.;)

The obese lady on the catwalk is a true plus size model - the idea that "plus size" means a size 12 is ridiculous. Plus size means overweight to most people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    No, that's a sweeping generalisation. All gay designer like a pre-pubescent little boy shape? Really? :confused:

well judging by the models that most of them use, I would say it's pretty accurate
  • LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    But what point? This woman has no place on the catwalk for the very simple reason that the all you see is a very obese woman and not the clothing. Catwalk is for displaying and showing off clothes.

Gaultier is well known for getting shock value out of things. Remember Madonna's conical bra?
    The second model is lovely but again, she's no catwalk model since she's got a flabby belly (just stating a fact before someone jumps on me) and does not therefore have the proportions/figure that would enhance the clothing.

I doubt her slight pot belly would even be seen when she was fully clothed, so I don't think it would have an effect on the way the clothes hang, but as she's a size 12, I doubt she'd even be considered for catwalk work.
    Forum Member
    well judging by the models that most of them use, I would say it's pretty accurate

How is that accurate? Because they use skinny models to show of the clothes as best they can, that means that they are personally attracted to pre-pubescent bodies? Any anyway, I don't think skinny models look like prepubescent boys. I think they look like skinny women.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about some designer makes a point of only using models with a "healthy BMI" or something? Proving that healthy women come in ALL shapes and sizes - tall, short, thinner, more meat on them etc. Anyone with BMI less 18 not allowed, and no more than 25 etc. (I'm slightly more than 25 by the way, and I also know that BMI is a pretty poor indication of health/weight etc but it's the most well known method).

A woman with a BMI of 24 could be a size 14 at 5ft 11 or something surely?