Things that make you cringe

124»

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Elvis impersonators. Most look like Roy Orbison or old perverts with sideburns.

I know someone whose wife has a phobia of Elvis impersonators. She's ok with the real thing but becomes a total wreck if she sees an impersonator.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who use the word 'bless'. And not the after they've sneezed bless. Especially blokes that do it.

People who do silly dances when something goes right.

When girls out eyelashes on their car.

Really overly friendly people. Especially in the morning.

Awww bless.

Does a 70's boogie to celebrate the fact I quoted you.

No idea about the eyelashes..that was just 'whoosh'

You are a wonderfully balanced and brilliant poster, and I just want to hug you until the day BBC News 24 finally goes off air...mmm mmmmm mmmmm. Loadsa hearts and kisses....xxxx
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who come to see you and talk, talk, talk about themselves and won't let you get a word in and don't ask you about yourself or family. Then when they finally run out of things to say and you think that you might be able to say something to them, they get up and say that they must go because they are so busy. It really gets to me. >:(

I had someone come round supposedly to see me last night and she talked all about her holidays and people that I didn't know and a wedding she is going to for over an hour. She know that I have had a holiday and didn't ask about that, she also knew that I have been having important tests at the hospital and didn't ask about that either. Then just as I tought I might be able to say something, up she got and rushed off because she didn't have time to stay any longer. Grrrr.

Another thing that makes me cringe is when you are at a meeting or gathering of lots of people. You wait for ages to speak to someone, being polite and not interuppting their conversation with someone else. Then just as you start to speak to them, someone else comes up and completely interrups between you and says their bit and you still can't speak to the person you wanted to. People seem so rude these days.
  • MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a girl on my facebook who calls her son 'ickle man'. It makes me cringe and mad all at once.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

I don't mind sincere emotion at all. It's the opportunistic, here come the violins, offhand manipulation I don't like. I guess really it's insincerity that annoys me when it comes to important things that should be heartfelt. That and obvious emotional manipulation. Not that everything should be dry and sincere but some things should be genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlzrNKN3rZI
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who completely changes the way they talks and act with a certain person.... everything's either 'hun', 'huni' or 'sweetie' and it makes me cringe as I know this person doesn't talk that way in real life.... doesn't really have much of a conversation span at all, to be honest, and not a big vocabulary, never mind regularly use these awful terms. This person is a fully grown adult, so it's even more embarrassing. Why try to 'fit in' when you're not like that in reality? It's just awkward for all who is unfortunate enough to see and hear it and makes you look stupid, IMO. If that's how you talk, fine, carry on.... but just to be like others? Nah!
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still cringing from giving a public speech the other day to about 200 students. Was praised by many as I have never spoken in public before. But I'm still cringing.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the word 'trending'
    Morning radio dj's, why do they think they are all at a party, its morning! and we're all trying to work so just shut up and play some decent music without repeating it every hour!
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mookle wrote: »
    There is a girl on my facebook who calls her son 'ickle man'. It makes me cringe and mad all at once.

That reminds me... Mumsnet... DH, DS, DD... yuk :kitty:
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    People who come to see you and talk, talk, talk about themselves and won't let you get a word in and don't ask you about yourself or family. Then when they finally run out of things to say and you think that you might be able to say something to them, they get up and say that they must go because they are so busy. It really gets to me. >:(

Fibromite, your post completely sums up how I feel about some people at the moment. It's like you are being talked at rather than having a proper conversation . It's so frustrating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoohDah wrote: »

Fibromite, your post completely sums up how I feel about some people at the moment. It's like you are being talked at rather than having a proper conversation . It's so frustrating.

That's good that someone else feels like I do. I know a person who looks all around the room when you talk to her making you feel like you must be really boring her, yet when she is talking (and she is very boring) I give her my full attention as I like to be polite.

Another person once suggested that we got together to look at each other's holiday photos as we had both been away to interesting holidays. We met one evening and out came her photos and she spent ages on each one telling me every little detail of them. Then when she came to the end of them, she shot up and said that she must be off home. I said that I hadn't shown her mine yet, and she said that I had been too long looking at hers and time had run out and she had to go home and that she would arrange to come to see mine another time. Needless to say, she never did. >:(
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People calling me "buddy" :mad:
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

That's good that someone else feels like I do. I know a person who looks all around the room when you talk to her making you feel like you must be really boring her, yet when she is talking (and she is very boring) I give her my full attention as I like to be polite.

Another person once suggested that we got together to look at each other's holiday photos as we had both been away to interesting holidays. We met one evening and out came her photos and she spent ages on each one telling me every little detail of them. Then when she came to the end of them, she shot up and said that she must be off home. I said that I hadn't shown her mine yet, and she said that I had been too long looking at hers and time had run out and she had to go home and that she would arrange to come to see mine another time. Needless to say, she never did. >:(
    That's just self-centeredness. You don't need egocentric people in your life, they are toxic and suck the joy out of every situation. Rather than hoping they'll change, find some better friends, ones who will cherish you, and respect you. Restrict contact with Little Miss Selfish to the occasional coffee, to let her talk at you some more, and you'll find her almost bearable that way
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    That reminds me... Mumsnet... DH, DS, DD... yuk :kitty:

I so agree with you on this one. It makes me want to vomit. :o
    Forum Member
    I so agree with you on this one. It makes me want to vomit. :o
    Mumsnet acronyms are ludicrous - and who the heck refers to their partner and offspring as 'darling husband, darling son, darling daughter' etc? As for the other, lesser used acronyms, the less said, the better. EWCM anyone?
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    people spelling come as 'cum'
    hearing peoples eating sounds
    I walk past the same big issue seller every day at least 2-4 times. we are now obliged to say hello each time
    drunk people talking to me in the street
    people expecting the whole bus/tube to be interested in their baby
    reading my own texts i sent whilst merry the next day
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    people spelling come as 'cum'

Ugh yes thats really cringy.
    Also most fanfiction that involves anything sexual in it, its always cringey.

Yes I read fanfic :blush:
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »

nothing wrong with fanfic!
  • scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Child actors who have been to Stage School.
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »

Doesn't most fanfic involve sexual stuff? Or am I getting confused with slash fiction?
  • mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    People calling women 'females'. it reminds me of something out of Crimewatch.

Ricky Gervais. Keith Lemon. Alan Partridge.

'Huni' or 'Chic' meant as 'chick'. i don't mind if someone wants to cal me 'chic', meaning fashionable, elegant and glamorous, but that's a lie, so i know it's in the "i can only speak in platitudes" way.

George Osbourne's face.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These dicks that do that uptalk when they speak, like they're asking a question but they're only making a statement. I think it originated in Australia and California.
  • Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cotton wool

The thought of chewing on a towel

When people's clothes rub against matt wall paint

I'm a bit weird
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just self-centeredness. You don't need egocentric people in your life, they are toxic and suck the joy out of every situation. Rather than hoping they'll change, find some better friends, ones who will cherish you, and respect you. Restrict contact with Little Miss Selfish to the occasional coffee, to let her talk at you some more, and you'll find her almost bearable that way

I agree with you Frankie. The first one I mentioned I don't bother with now. The second one, I put off for ages and then very occasionally meet up with her for a very short time. I have much better friends then those were.

I also don't like the way some people email me to ask something then I answer back quickly and then they don't respond to me. Or the way some people have an email address and say that they never look at their emails. Well, why have an address if you never use it? People can be very strange.