What is your earliest memory of gaming?

Comments

• deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    2 games which stick to my mind were, Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the Commodore 64 (responsible for breaking numerous of my Quickshot 2 joysticks due to the constant 'waggling' to make him run!!! :D) and also Way of the Exploding Fist - a truly original game for its time and took fighting games to a new high!!
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    2 games which stick to my mind were, Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the Commodore 64 (responsible for breaking numerous of my Quickshot 2 joysticks due to the constant 'waggling' to make him run!!! :D) and also Way of the Exploding Fist - a truly original game for its time and took fighting games to a new high!!

Having a speccy, I concur with your c64 choices. Although I adored wizball on the c64.

As for me, my earliest memory is one of those pong games on some strange device, then we got an atari 2600!, then a c16, then a spectrum, then an atari st, ps1, dreamcast, ps2; with a PC from the ps1 days.

The old days of the Speccy/Atari are the Halcyon days for me.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    The old days of the Speccy/Atari are the Halcyon days for me.

Had many good times playing on the Atari ST. James Pond, Chuck Rock, Super Bomberman, Monkey Island, Skweek. That was the next-gen next to my Spectrum.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tekken 2
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Playing Tennis and Super Mario Land on my friend's Game Boy in the mid-late 90s.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roland on the ropes on a CPC464 when I was 4!! Must have cost parents a fortune!

Nostalga, loading from tape, the noise it made. Clicky joysticks and the hum from the heavy modulator that converted the output into something that could go into the TV!

Gamed on that computer till the mid 90's!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pong and Skeet on some kind of 6 games-in-1 TV system from Dixons or Currys way back in '81 or '82... possibly a Dynatron, can't remember... found it on the web a few years back but the site has since died... Then older brother got an Atari 2600 and there always seemed to be Game & Watch variants around the house
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a computer in the early 80's called a 'Dragon' (think it was 16k). I remember playing Chuckie Egg on it - finally reaching the final level only for my Mum to unplug the computer to plug in the Vac. I threw a strop, and never reached the final level again :)

Also on the same computer I had a cool (at the time) game called 'Ugg' where you played a caveman stealing eggs from a dinosaur.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a C64 with a tape unit

I typed in a game called 'Rox 64' by Jeff Minter from a magazine

Took a couple hours to type all the code in
    Played the game

Left C64 on all night, whilst i slept

Woke up the next morning. "Hmmm, i want to turn the computer off, but i can't save
    the game" - Damn
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I remember Pong. I can't remember the exact console - maybe a very early Nintendo. Space Invaders, Frogger, Asteroids, Arkanoid, Manic Miner were other early games I remember.

Remember the very early text based adventures where you had very limited commands and ended up just typing filth in frustration? I can remember playing an early Hobbit game on the Spectrum too.
  • GoldeneyeDogGoldeneyeDog Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Simply put, my earliest memory of gaming is the Sega Master System 2. I was about 2 or 3 years old and my parents let me play on their master system (which soon became mine as they couldn't play games to save their lives).

Sonic The Hedgehog was where it was at, but on top of that there was Alex Kidd in Miracle World and some really good vampire games like Master of Darkness.

Man, life used to be good!

And don't forget Asterix and Obelix - those games were TIGHT!
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Championship Manager 00/01 , they were the days.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a C64 with a tape unit

I typed in a game called 'Rox 64' by Jeff Minter from a magazine

Took a couple hours to type all the code in
    Played the game

Left C64 on all night, whilst i slept

Woke up the next morning. "Hmmm, i want to turn the computer off, but i can't save
    the game" - Damn

Did the game actually run first time then? :o No compile errors? :o
  • martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    The Last Ninja on Commadore 64, I was amazed by this game as a young kid, probably the game that started my passion for video games
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember playing a shitty side scrolling game on the NES called "Time Lord" but my memories of owning a NES are extremely hazy.

So instead, I'm gonna go with getting the PS1 and playing Tekken 2 on it for the first time.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pong back in the seventies, when I shared a house. The Novelty of actually interacting with the TV is hard to get across nowadays. Me and my Housemates spent hours a day playing it for a while.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    Horace Goes skiing on the ZX81 was my first game i played, but playing Barbarian,Cobra and Death Wish 3 on my speccy plus was what I think of as having a gaming experience.
    PIB: I'm pretty sure Horace Goes Skiing was only released for the ZX Spectrum and not the ZX81. The ZX81 didn't have colour graphics, only 1K of RAM as standard (although it could be ugraded with a RAM pack) and the way the screen updated meant it wouldn't have been fast enough to run it at anything near a usable speed. If the keyboard was totally flat with touchpad keys then it was a ZX81, but if it had deadflesh keys then it was the ZX Spectrum (although the ZX Spectrum+ which appeared a short while later introduced an attempt at a "standard" keyboard).

Anyway, this was my first memory of gaming as well. My parents had got me one for Xmas, but wanted to give it a trial run first to make sure I took to it. I was bought the ZX81 a year earlier, but ended up as a very expensive paperweight because I couldn't be bothered with computers at the age of 5 and it didn't seem to do anything exciting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    martytarty wrote: »
    The Last Ninja on Commadore 64, I was amazed by this game as a young kid, probably the game that started my passion for video games

Oh yes..... not my earliest memory but definitely one of the best. Pretty much any System 3 game on the C64 was an event. :) Oh and Last Ninja 2 - superb and what a soundtrack. Matt Gray was a bit of a genius on the '64. He's remade one of the tunes and put it on Soundcloud here https://soundcloud.com/mattgrayc64/ and it's ridiculously superb. Relive those glory days.
    Forum Member
    Earliest - a really flickery Pong clone on the TV. It had four modes - including squash :) or those handheld Grandstand games - Caveman rings a bell.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Combat on the Atari 2600, I also had the grandstand game caveman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's scary when you see some people's first experiences of gaming were 10+ years after my own. :)

My three earliest game memories are on the C64: Jet Set Willy, Boulderdash, and Impossible Mission. The last one used to really scare me when he fell down the hole!

Oh, and for all those who broke joysticks with the Daley game. A friend showed me you could press shift and the number 2 on the keyboard and it was the same as wiggling the joystick. :)
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mario kart and golden eye on my friends brothers N64.
  • AgentDRLAgentDRL Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The Way of the Exploding Fist on the Commodore 64, so it might have been around 1985/86 time. I would've been 7 or 8 at the time. My folks the other day said we had a Commodore VIC-20 before then, but I can't remember, lol!

So many cool games for the C64 it's untrue. I remember going to a shop in Sheffield all the time called Just Micro around 1987 I think, and my auntie bought me and my younger bro Robocop for £9.99 (I never completed that game tbh), and we played that game so much. What I do remember is Robocop stayed in the charts on all formats for ages I believe (I just had to have the C+VG mag as soon as it came out, haha). Other games I remember playing on the C64 in my youth are:

IK+
    Chase HQ
    Last Ninja
    Double Dragon
    Batman

I could go on forever :-)! Then we got an Amiga 1200 for Xmas 1992, and titles such as Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Kick Off 2 were the main ones back then. Brilliant times!
    Forum Member
    AgentDRL wrote: »
    So many cool games for the C64 it's untrue. I remember going to a shop in Sheffield all the time called Just Micro around 1987 I think

Just Micro in Sheffield - above that shop lived Gremlin Graphics - creators of Monty Mole, Bounder etc.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playing "Asteroids" & "Defender" with a handfull of 10p's at the local swimming pool.

It's been a long road to "Inquisition" but a rewarding one.