Options

The Restaurant 2009

Comments

• Options
    bel110bel110 Posts: 14,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    When she was saying "We're just going to pack up because he can't carry on, he needs to lay down, he can't do this" I couldn't help but comment "But why does that stop you staying on?" :D

Absolutely, I thought the same. She was going on and on about how worried she was about him. If it was that bad he should have gone to lie down or gone to the dr after preparing the food and she should have gone to do the deli task alone and on time ... that's what I would have done.
    RFS wrote: »
    Keep Chris and hire someone else as F0H!

Yes, the only really acceptable outcome would be for the judges to choose to go into business with Chris alone. When Raymond made his amazing observation to the couples at the end 'Chris, I think you are the best cook' ... it was like hello ... of course he is ... and really what's his competition anyway? A guy who doesn't cook and a guy who cooks TV dinners?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are Nathan AICM £5

:D LOL I was thinking exactly the same thing. Sometimes people just dont understand how these message boards work, do they?

:p I doubt if I'd still be watching if it wasn't for these boards, though why have they got personal all of a sudden? Buck, Straker and co have me in stitches. Leave off nit picking with posters, please. We have a rich seam of irony and sarcasm which we can direct at the 5 numpties on the programme. (I excuse Chris cos I think he's the only one who deserves to be there)
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dire series this has been, two weeks without a 'Restaurant of the week'.

Next week's task "The Demo - The three remaining couples must stage a cookery masterclass in their restaurants" - can't wait to see what JJ will be doing - showing people how to cut up scotch eggs?
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    If Nathan can keep his runaway sarky gob in check, he and Chris should walk it.

Helplessly giggling at the thought of JJ trying to hold a cookery master class.
    James won't be able to schmooze his way out of this one.

And Steve.. I actually think Steve would probably do OK too - but let's take side bets on what next week's trauma du jour will be for them - a toe on a foot, a bone in a leg... or just plain breathing!
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    This is really the worst series of them all in more ways than one.

It's the finals and none of them can even prepare a decent meal let alone a restaurant style quality food good enough to charge customers....it should be the other way around & pay them.

Surely the business proposition by RB & partners inc the production co who made this series is non-existent because there's no way in hell these idiots are capable to be handed a restaurant to run!
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    ..We have a rich seam of irony and sarcasm which we can direct at the 5 numpties on the programme. (I excuse Chris cos I think he's the only one who deserves to be there)

5 numpties and Chris? :confused:

What about the 3 numpties whose [alleged] professional reputations should be damaged by their apparently willing participation in judging this farrago of incompetence and shambolism ... don't they cop for any of this :yawn: irony and sarcasm :yawn:?

Ludicrous and nigh-on impossible tasks - preparing stuff at yo sushis, operating an afternoon tea with one waiter and £10 goody bags on a Monday lunchtime - aren't meant to be anything than a continual set of pratfalls for the contestants. It's a Knockout - for Cooks,

The winkers have been the stars of the series and good for them, the only ones to attempt (with endless good humour) all of the tasks - mostly badly, whilst the precious little ninnys and Masterchef wannabes, just the type whose fantasies of Michelin stardom bored me rigid in the first two supposedly superior series, have been reduced to gibbering wrecks.

Winkers FTW (but who cares?) :D
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winkers have been the stars of the series and good for them, the only ones to attempt (with endless good humour) all of the tasks - mostly badly, whilst the precious little ninnys and Masterchef wannabes, just the type whose fantasies of Michelin stardom bored me rigid in the first two supposedly superior series, have been reduced to gibbering wrecks.

So you’ve been "bored rigid" two years running and yet you come back for a third!

Methinks thou art BSing us!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now caught up on last nights show, I don't believe it JJ cooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Did like the sound of his cocktails though.

Only 2 episodes to go and it only feels like it's been on for five minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really the worst series of them all in more ways than one.

It's the finals and none of them can even prepare a decent meal let alone a restaurant style quality food good enough to charge customers....it should be the other way around & pay them.

Surely the business proposition by RB & partners inc the production co who made this series is non-existent because there's no way in hell these idiots are capable to be handed a restaurant to run!

I must admit that I was wondering last night what the full (unpublished) rules of this programme are. I understand that this is "reality TV" so the BBC presumably like a certain amount of stupidity in the contestants?
    However, since the "prize" is to go into a business venture surely there must be a hidden rule somewhere which allows them to decide that the winners are pathetic and that they will not be in charge of a restaurant?

I was also wondering whether or not the year that last year's winners spent "training" was in order to make sure that they really did know what they were doing as well as reducing risk for the investors...
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter rubbish last night.
    This now dog of a show needs put to sleep.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 numpties and Chris? :confused:

What about the 3 numpties whose [alleged] professional reputations should be damaged by their apparently willing participation in judging this farrago of incompetence and shambolism ... don't they cop for any of this :yawn: irony and sarcasm :yawn:?

Ludicrous and nigh-on impossible tasks - preparing stuff at yo sushis, operating an afternoon tea with one waiter and £10 goody bags on a Monday lunchtime - aren't meant to be anything than a continual set of pratfalls for the contestants. It's a Knockout - for Cooks,

Winkers FTW (but who cares?) :D

I agree. The "winkers" appear to be the only pairing with any real business acumen. Neither of them can cook, but they seem able to delegate, and they also have the ability to think on their feet and come up with last minute solutions. But I thought they already had a couple of wine bars ?.. they could extend their ambitions in that direction. Why even bother trying to open a dedicated restaurant with some crazy "picnic food" theme.
    Chris would be fine working for someone, I'm not sure he has the entrepreneurial skills to actually run a successful restaurant just yet..and certainly not with the dreadful Nathan.
    The married couple would probably be ok running a little restaurant in some seaside resort, plain and simple grub at a fair price. I can't see them competing in a busy city centre, trying to offer a fine dining experience. But don't they run a successful florists ?..why bother with the hassle if they are currently making money out of doing something that they presumably enjoy ?
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the look of that chicken breast stuffed with the moussey thing at the Singles' Night. I think it was one of JJ's dishes. And the glamorous pregnant lady (sorry don't know her name) said it tasted nice.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JuJus wrote: »
    now caught up on last nights show, I don't believe it JJ cooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I think you're giving JJ too much credit.
    Did he actually make the scotch egg from scratch?
    Did he actually make the shashliks? Something we always leave to the kids, as they love to assemble them.
    We only saw him working butter into flour, or something like that. And that was a superb demonstration of total lack of skills.
    JJ told Raymond he did do the cooking (of course), but we all know he didn't choke on his first lie.
    In earlier epsiodes we saw the sous doing all the cooking. Last night there was a suspicious absence of sous footage.
    I think it was done deliberately to make JJ look a bit better.
    After all the winkers are the favourites to win.

Next week he will no doubt weasle his way out of cooking lessings by doing cocktail recipes. Olives, cherries and cocktail onions are after all food. :):).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the look of that chicken breast stuffed with the moussey thing at the Singles' Night. I think it was one of JJ's dishes. And the glamorous pregnant lady (sorry don't know her name) said it tasted nice.

That was Frontroom, cooked by the better half of the twins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm beginning to get cross with M.Blanc. I can't decide if he thinks that a nation that votes for Jedward and John Sargent would love the winkers, or that the british palate is so jaded that we'd all drool over a scotch egg in the rain experience.

Either way, it's really insulting.

I hope.

Oh God, perhaps I'm wrong :eek:
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so angry at the way this show has been ruined I am barely able to put pen to paper. I am also angry and disappointed that Raymond-one of the few chefs I respect- would even agree to do this total farce that this show has become . I couldn't bear to watch it for two weeks and tuned in last night to see if there was any glimmer of hope for the show, and had to switch it off when I saw the remaining three left, with only one person Chris deserving any respect as a chef.

Is there someone at the BBC being paid to deliberately ruin shows that people enjoy. This year they completely ruined Watchdog and now the Restaurant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Episode 6 - The Singles

Part 1 - The, erm, first bit up to but not including the deli service

It’s a hot Sunday and where nicer to meet than a five acre fridge that stores flowers. Raymond ponces around for the cameras sniffing effeminately at the blooms before we are shown our weekly and unnecessary glimpse of James’s girly calves from the low camera angle that the producer always uses. “Mon dieu” Raymond seems to say. I actually think he says “morning to you” but the former is probably more appropriate. Raymond launches into his incomprehensible intro, bobbing back and forth with his hands clasped like a nervous diver before a cold outdoor swimming pool, telling the group that every meal should b a celebration. I immediately ‘tut’ at this. I’m happy to be have waiters spoil me rotten when I’m with Mrs Tarbrush on our let-me-take-you-out-for-an-elaborate-meal-so-I-won’t-feel-bad-asking-for-sex celebration of our wedding anniversary but when I nip into Mr Wong’s for a quick plate of dim sum and a pint of Tsingtao I’d really want you just to bring my pork dumplings and bugger off, please. Anyway, that’s not Raymond’s view – to test the couples’ ability in delighting different types of customer they have to target a. couples and b. singles. I don’t know if Bristol has a large polygamous Mormon community but them boys ain’t getting a look in today. The theme will be ‘romance’ so the couples will be wooed with takeaway meals a deux whilst the singles will be invited to a special tag ‘em, bag ‘em and shag ‘em soiree at each restaurant. Each of the restaurateurs is given a curt warning about what Raymond is looking for: JJ and James must let their concept shine; Stephen and Rebecca (who has the wide-eyed stare of the permanently petrified) must refine their lardy food and Chris and Nathan (i.e. just Nathan) must “up your game…become commander of your restaurant”. Raymond throws a few more shapes talking about “definition” and “consistency” and they’re off. My only question is: will we see anything like the Love Shack (aka Rape Room) from series 1 where the “winning” singles at a contest in one restaurant (Spinach and Agushi) were locked in a shed in the back yard and told to get on with it? I liked that idea.

JJ and James, who are flogging is picnic food made by other people in a restaurant setting, should be at an advantage with the takeaway as it suits their concept. “it’s about people who are in love….or in a relationship” declaims JJ, as if the two were mutually exclusive. However as JJ simply can’t cook but is known to throw a mean mohito or two he spies the opportunity to, once again, put being a chef aside for a week and themes their takeaway around the concept of cocktails. The plan is that they’ll supply some fondue cheese, a few cuts of charcuterie and some base mixes. The lucky couple will add a splash of Pomagne or Babycham (or whatever young and in-love people drink these days) and it’s instant romance – in a bag. JJ is beyond himself with glee “World class!” he beams. As they search out ingredients for their fondue, Mr Voice Over man slanders JJ by referring to his cake as his “only cooking success” and criminally overlooking the Scotch Eggs (and, if we are stretching ‘success’ beyond its dictionary definition, there’s the crumble from Ep 1 as well). JJ’s spotty face beams at a local fromagiere who can’t believe his luck and sells them a lump of cheese the size of an i-Pod for a tenner (at least he has the good grace to look nervous when he does it) and advises them to get a cheaper cheese to bulk it out which, at his prices, is every other cheese in the world. They stop of for a quick sausage (not a euphemism) and it’s back to the Summer House to bag up (also not a euphemism) with their fizz and their runny cheese (most certainly not a euphemism)

At R&R Chris is all over the idea like stink and rattles off 5 dishes that he aims to cook, bag up and serve for a tenner. The idea is a good one, based upon Chris’s own experience whilst pitching woo at his lady friend back home: lamb skewers, chicken wings, roasted veg, cous cous, mixed salad, brioche and fruit with a choccy/rum dipping sauce which the couples can “get involved”. Nathan comes to life at this point and shouts “interactive…bringing people together”. Good. Now all he has to do is publicise it. Which he is dreadfully crap at – prodding disinterestedly at a keyboard to produce a flyer and annoying Chris, hard at work up in the kitchen, with witless phone calls. Whilst he’s doing this Chris unburdens himself to camera about Nathan’s many, many failings: “he doesn’t know what hard work is.” Nathan takes 5 from his hectic schedule to remind Chris how to cook and piss around with a Cupid clip-art. So, in three hours, Chris has prepared and cooked all the food whilst Nathan has done the square root of bugger all and has the temerity to remind his partner that they need to be better prepared this time. Chris’s neon-blue eyes belie more than just a glimmer of dissatisfaction.

Sat in the shadow of a church, Stephen and Rebecca – whose watchword is ‘refined’, remember – start tossing out their memories of the most calorific and stodgy meals they can think of, Rebecca particularly losing herself in Pie Heaven. In the end they plump (ho-ho) for lasagne (which I know should be really spelled ‘lasagna’ but it looks silly) which Stephen reckons is their ticket to the semis. It’s made with the usual Front Room methodology: put on crisp chef’s whites, don toque and necktie, tip loads of stuff in a huge pan, add more stuff (tinned tomatoes) and stir until it resembles brown. Oh and there’s cheesecake to top it off, not literally we hope. Out in the front Rebecca (been with Stephen for 12 years, we are told) admits to being clueless at what constitutes a Singles’ Night. The laptop is showing the webpage of an astrologist and tarot reader so maybe she’s turning to the Dark Side to find out but the whole concept is baffling her. “I’ve never thought about it before but…these people…are going to be coming on their own”. Nice one, Sherlock. Stephen wants to number them and make then play musical chairs after each course but he thinks it might be “cheesy”. Rebecca looks close to tears, but then again, when doesn’t she?
  • Options
    BellaLugosiBellaLugosi Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    For one delicious moment yesterday I actually thought JJ and James were going to kiss each other, but no, it sadly turned into a man-hug. They really ought to get a room.

On a personal note, can we stop bitching please - I can get sniping and backbiting at work, I come on here for a break from all that. Constructive disagreeing only People. Clacker you ignore Buck, Straker and Pixie you ignore Clacker - don't make me come in there!!
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with the majority of people on this forum who think that this series is very poor compared to previous years. I still find it strangely compulsive viewing probably because it's almost car crash TV and want to see what happens next!

Why is Rebecca ALWAYS in tears? She cried over her husbands back pain in this episode, she cried last episode and in the trailer for next weeks, guess what?, she crying again :rolleyes: I just don't think she's cut out for it. The stress that goes with running a successful restaurant would probably kill her off. And if Stephen's back was so bad, why didn't they go to the Doctors for some industrial strength painkillers or something? Or did they and I missed it, entirely possible as my mind tends to wander this series, it's hardly riveting stuff.

But I have to thank Stephen for giving me the biggest laugh I've had in ages - his aeroplane cake :D

JJ and James continue to make me giggle. They remind me of a couple of eager puppy's who are desperate to please but just don't manage to pull it off. I'm starting to get a bit worried about their obsession with Scotch eggs (or variations of :D) They must eat them at every meal! However their cocktails looked fabulous and this week I actually thought their food looked nice - they just might have found their niche in the market - Singles Nights, ideal for their picnic style food!

IMO Chris is really good but is woefully let down by the sluggish Nathan who seems to like doing anything except, er, work? That sign he put out was a damned disgrace and your average junior school pupil could have done better. What is it with this bloke? He has a terrible attitude and is seemingly habitually rude to the customers. He's so smug (about what I don't know) that if I met him I'd have to resist the temptation to slap him! :D Why hasn't he been told about his bad attitude and general laziness?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Rebeacca cries a lot. But let's not forget Jane of series one. That lovely woman cried at the drop of a plate or a wrongly folded napkin. Didn't stop her and her husband from winning the first series.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    Yes, Rebeacca cries a lot. But let's not forget Jane of series one. That lovely woman cried at the drop of a plate or a wrongly folded napkin. Didn't stop her and her husband from winning the first series.

Then giving it all up because they couldn't hack it.
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    I agree. The "winkers" appear to be the only pairing with any real business acumen. Neither of them can cook, but they seem able to delegate, and they also have the ability to think on their feet and come up with last minute solutions. But I thought they already had a couple of wine bars ?.. they could extend their ambitions in that direction. Why even bother trying to open a dedicated restaurant with some crazy "picnic food" theme.
    Chris would be fine working for someone, I'm not sure he has the entrepreneurial skills to actually run a successful restaurant just yet..and certainly not with the dreadful Nathan.
    The married couple would probably be ok running a little restaurant in some seaside resort, plain and simple grub at a fair price. I can't see them competing in a busy city centre, trying to offer a fine dining experience. But don't they run a successful florists ?..why bother with the hassle if they are currently making money out of doing something that they presumably enjoy ?

That's my reading, too. Whatever the reasons for the format being chopped, with the resulting carnage .... it's been a very neat way of removing the unfocussed, the ditherers, the dreamers and the deluded. The concept is king this series, and I think that was proved when D'Soiree completely blew it by abandoning the only half-decent concept in this year's bunch.

JJ and James seem to be operating quite nicely thank you - let's face it they have already "won" by the exposure their current business has gained - whether they leave next week or not.

Check out the food menu at

http://web.mac.com/jjgoodman/london_cocktail_club/FOOD.html

disappointed that there isn't a wet scotch egg in sight, but IMHO it's a darned sight more appealing than the worthier but duller winners of series 1 and 2.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my reading, too. Whatever the reasons for the format being chopped, with the resulting carnage .... it's been a very neat way of removing the unfocussed, the ditherers, the dreamers and the deluded. The concept is king this series, and I think that was proved when D'Soiree completely blew it by abandoning the only half-decent concept in this year's bunch.

JJ and James seem to be operating quite nicely thank you - let's face it they have already "won" by the exposure their current business has gained - whether they leave next week or not.

disappointed that there isn't a wet scotch egg in sight, but IMHO it's a darned sight more appealing than the worthier but duller winners of series 1 and 2.
    Which begs the question of why they come across so badly in the TV show. Have they been creatively edited to look like incompetents? Because JJ clearly understands the principles of marrying food and drink and complementary flavours and their concept is exactly what you get at some modern mass-market restaurants - small, easy to eat portions of buffet-style food with drinks that complement the cuisine.
  • Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter rubbish last night.
    This now dog of a show needs put to sleep.

Just watching this now.... this show is dire now - they have killed it, no way it can return next year in this format.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hadn't seen that link. However, that is the kind of concept I think would work. I don't like the name.."The London Cocktail Club"..it sounds too stuffy.
    But a fun, party bar, serving a selection of trendy dishes to share could be a big hit. How many girls (of any age) want to sit down to a serious meal when they are out for a good night. Low comfortable seating, a laid-back atmosphere with some good music. Cocktails, decent selection of wines, shots, interesting bottled lagers, and a range of modern, easily prepared dishes that could be consumed or shared without any fuss. Of course, that concept is more of a bar that does food..not a restaurant that does cocktails. Which begs the question..why enter the show, unless it's for publicity ?
    I do think the "winkers" have a grasp of the most important concept of any business..profit. I agree, they are very much style over substance, but that often works in any sector of the market.
This discussion has been closed.