Options

Any shop bought kippers that aren't too bony?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just had some kipper 'fillets' for breakfast, the Sainsbury's ones in a microwavable pack.

Full of bones. I did eat them but I admit to being squeamish and wary of bones. I dont like the texture no matter how soft.

I do like kippers but am put off by the bones. I know they're good for you too.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what I tend to do is boil them in the bag in a pan rather than in the microwave and leave them simmering for a lot longer than it says on the pack........does it say 12 minutes ?..........I usually leave them for 20 minutes

then the bones go really soft and you can just eat them

they are delicious though !.........:D
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ones from Iceland aren't too bad
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    The John West tinned ones are *usually* not too bad. However, I've had odd instances where they have had bones in them, usually at the narrow end of the fillet (whether that's towards the head or tail, I don't know!)

Having said that, I have noticed a general increase in the bone count in these over the years. Back in the 80s, John West ones practically never had bones, hard or soft.

It's difficult, cos herrings are a fish absolutely full of fine bones, so it's difficult to get them all out as they break off as you are doing so.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Sainsburys Taste the Difference Kippers. Not too boney at all, taste great. Usually just a fin to remove before eating.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/smoked_and_marinated_fish/sainsburys_taste_the_difference_smoked_kipper_fillets_280g.html

Boil a kettle, pour in a jug, add fillet/s and cover with a tea towel. 7 minutes, drain and serve. (I pop some bread in the toaster with 2 mins to go)