Studying in New York

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm applying for university media and cultural studies to universitys in London but wanted to spend 1 year, or a term studying in New York.
I know with Erasmus you can study abroad but that's only in Europe. All the options i've found seem to be for international students wanting to do the whole degree abroad, which looks really expensive. They have some summer school options but i'm not sure the credit is transferable so would be a bit pointless I guess. Ucas + The university's i've phoned don't seem to know much about this, so was wondering if anyone had any experiences of spending a year studying abroad that might be able to help.

Comments

• LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to check with universities you are applying to. Some of my friends did their year abroad in America (they did biomedical science).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I was offered the chance to go abroad, both through erasmus and to America, the only problem is, if u go to America you have to pay fees to the uni (through Erasmus you don't) and the accomodation is like ridiculously expensive. I did Media with Cultural Studies at Southampton Solent, and we were offered the chance to spend our 2nd year abroad. I missed the deadline unfortunately so i didnt end up going, but the best bet is to contact the course leader at your uni and the international dept who usually organise this and they can give u loads of info.

Hardly any students do it (no one did it on my course where there were about 80 students) so its probably one of those things where u really need to seek out the uni.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest that you learn to spell the plural of university before going any further.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my course they used to pick 2 people every year and send them off to some uni in America. You didn't pay any extra fees, just what you would have paid if you had stayed in the uk.