Options

TV licences

Comments

• Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    But the vast majority of the money paid in a licence goes to the BBC so I am in fact paying the BBC and since they provide me with no service I am not paying them anything. From Wiki...
    "
    Income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the BBC. Total levies from the licence fee were £3.681 billion in 2011–12[4] of which £588.4 million or 16.0% was provided by the Government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk of the BBC's total income of £5.086 billion in 2011-2012.[4] "
    Yes, a lot of the money from the TV Licence is used to find the BBC, that is how the Government choose to use the money levied from the Licence Fee, to fund a PSB, the BBC.

You are not telling me anything I do not know, I understand how it works, and have had plenty of dealings with TVL, not all good either.

Also one thing to note the 'BBC services' also covers things that the BBC fund, such as Freeview, Freesat and S4C.
    ...well there's always the advertising business model for broadcasting

So do ITV ,C4 ,C5 etc get a cut of the license proceeds from the license?
    No, because they are not acting under the Royal Charter like the BBC are.
    Channel 4 used to receive some money from it.
    I understand what you're saying. However, I call it a BBC TV licence because that's, fundamentally, what it is.

It funds the BBC, the BBC are the Licensing Authority, and the BBC are responsible for collection and enforcement.

I disagree that all TV will become pay TV. The likes of ITV and Channel 4 are funded by income from advertising are they not? As opposed to subscription which is what you appear to be suggesting.
    Yes, the proceeds fund the BBC, but the BBC are only the Licencing Authority because they have been commissioned by the Government to control it, ultimate control over the TV Licence still lands with the Government.

The free ways of TV are paid for in part by the BBC. Remove the TV Licence funding from Freeview and Freesat and the commercial channels would have to foot the bill completely.
    What would be in it for them? They could stop funding it, shut it down and go behind a pay wall, they would even get money for doing this.

In the case of Freesat the BBC is responsible for half of its funding.
    My point is that you're making a big deal out of it being a TV licence rather than a BBC TV licence. Consequently it would be logical to think that all broadcasters would be involved in the collection/enforcement operation. As we know, they aren't, hence BBC TV licence.

As for getting one or more companies involved I wonder how much the BBC pay for the services of

Proximity London

Post Office

Paypoint

Fishburn Hedges

Quadrant

Clarke Associates

Brass

Smart

Stakeholder Group

Capita Business Services plc
    I am not making a big deal. I am being correct. If anything it is a Department for Culture, Media and Sport TV Licence.
    They are the ones that are in control of it.

You may think of it as logical, but then I do not have a hatred of the TV Licence nor the BBC, and I can see that having one party responsible for the collection of the TV Licence is better because it keeps costs down.
    More companies involved the more money it will cost because the other companies will have to be paid for doing it.
    The cost now to the BBC is coming directly out of the TV Licence Revenue.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Having cancelled my direct debt to them, it has taken a week for them to send a letter to say i may receive a "quick visit".

How awful

i would say that is persecution. it shouldnt be allowed. i was thinking today, if my household didnt own a car would the car tax office send repeated letters and threats of courts and fines if i didnt prove i didnt own a car?
    if i declared a car to be offroad, would a tax man coming banging on my door for proof? no. it doesnt happen , so why should the BBc do it, and get away with it?
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think licenses should have been abolished when digital took over. If you want tv you have to pay via a subscription and buy a box. Now not only are you having to pay monthly but also a yearly license and for what? a load of rubbish on the tv.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I think licenses should have been abolished when digital took over. If you want tv you have to pay via a subscription and buy a box. Now not only are you having to pay monthly but also a yearly license and for what? a load of rubbish on the tv.

Well it does make you wonder how many times BBC want paying for there programes
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I understand what you're saying. However, I call it a BBC TV licence because that's, fundamentally, what it is.

I thought you guys over at the tv licence resistance site called it a tax?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't have to pay monthly, and a yearly licence to watch the BBC. :confused:
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    You don't have to pay monthly, and a yearly licence to watch the BBC. :confused:

A year license aswell as monthly money to companies like virgin,sky etc
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The thing is, you say you get RTE, but seeing as the Irish TV License costs €160, is it that much cheaper for you anyway? Or do you refuse to pay for a service you *do* receive?

I am only obliged to pay an Irish television licence if I am a resident in Ireland and since I am not I do not need to pay nor do I need to pay the BBC licence since they do not provide me with a signal and I have letters from the BBC Licensing authority telling me the same. No one needs to pay a fee to the BBC when they fail to provide a signal and the licence fee has nothing to do with owning television receiving equipment. Other stations such as ITV fund their service through advertising unlike the BBC whose services are funded almost entirely by licence payers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katywil wrote: »
    i would say that is persecution. it shouldnt be allowed. i was thinking today, if my household didnt own a car would the car tax office send repeated letters and threats of courts and fines if i didnt prove i didnt own a car?
    if i declared a car to be offroad, would a tax man coming banging on my door for proof? no. it doesnt happen , so why should the BBc do it, and get away with it?
    Funny you bring this up, because you can own a car without having to pay Tax, it just needs to be declared off the road (SORN). They send reminders each year about vehcle tax, so it is just the same as the TV Licence is.
    If you ignore the letters they do send people round to check, just in the same way that they do with the TV Licence.
    Only it does not need dedicated people to look for people driving without tax, as the Police do it.

They do it because they are required to enforce the TV Licence by law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not forced to get pay TV, you can use the free services Freeview and Freesat which are paid for in part by the BBC with the money they receive from the TV Licence.

Scrap the TV Licence and we all will be required to get pay TV, and since there would be no free alternative, there would be nothing stopping them putting the prices up.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Funny you bring this up, because you can own a car without having to pay Tax, it just needs to be declared off the road (SORN). They send reminders each year about vehcle tax, so it is just the same as the TV Licence is.
    If you ignore the letters they do send people round to check, just in the same way that they do with the TV Licence.
    Only it does not need dedicated people to look for people driving without tax, as the Police do it.

They do it because they are required to enforce the TV Licence by law.

could be you're right but my main point was about not owning a car. if i dont own a car im not chased by tax office. if i dont own a tv i still get letters
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I am only obliged to pay an Irish television licence if I am a resident in Ireland and since I am not I do not need to pay nor do I need to pay the BBC licence since they do not provide me with a signal and I have letters from the BBC Licensing authority telling me the same. No one needs to pay a fee to the BBC when they fail to provide a signal and the licence fee has nothing to do with owning television receiving equipment. Other stations such as ITV fund their service through advertising unlike the BBC whose services are funded almost entirely by licence payers.

So, just to be clear, you have a letter from TVL saying that you don't need a licence because you can't receive BBC?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    So, just to be clear, you have a letter from TVL saying that you don't need a licence because you can't receive BBC?

No, he's talking absolute crap - although with this talk of RTE is he perhaps in Southern Ireland?, where indeed he wouldn't need (and couldn't have) a UK TV licence.

Assuming he's in the UK, and he's watching live TV as he claims - then he needs a UK licence, and he presumably knows this, as he's dodging the TVL inspectors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do you have to pay for Sky or Virgin?

I thought that was optional?

Or do you think if you pay for Sky or Virgin, you shouldn't need to pay for a TV licence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't have to pay Sky or Virgin to watch TV, so I don't know why you have to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as previously stated I have letters from the TVL stating that I cannot receive U.K signals due to location and lack of a transmitter, so why should I pay anything to the BBC since they supply me with nothing, I do not need a licence just because I own a television set.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    as previously stated I have letters from the TVL stating that I cannot receive U.K signals due to location and lack of a transmitter

Then scan it and post a link to it - the TVL don't send out any such letters - I'm beginning to suspect you're just trolling?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as previously stated I have letters from the TVL stating that I cannot receive U.K signals due to location and lack of a transmitter, so why should I pay anything to the BBC since they supply me with nothing, I do not need a licence just because I own a television set.

You keep saying pay the BBC, you do not pay the BBC anything. You pay the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

You don't say you pay the NHS.

You're correct, you do not need to pay for a TV Licence if you do not use the TV to receive live TV. But since you are in the UK and using a TV for the purpose of watching live transmissions you do in fact need a TV Licence.

A TV Licence is required even if you do just watch Foreign TV, which a few people do via foreign satellites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You keep saying pay the BBC, you do not pay the BBC anything. You pay the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

You're correct, you do not need to pay for a TV Licence if you do not use the TV to receive live TV. But since you are in the UK and using a TV for the purpose of watching live transmissions you do in fact need a TV Licence.

A TV Licence is required even if you do just watch Foreign TV, which a few people do via foreign satellites.
    The Licence fee is set by the department for culture, media and sport but is collected by the BBC television licensing authoriity and has been since 1991, I do not need to pay the BBC anything since I receive no U.K generated signals, why would I pay the BBC for watching RTE? Do you actually think that people in Ireland pay the BBC for watching their transmissions?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    You are not forced to get pay TV, you can use the free services Freeview and Freesat which are paid for in part by the BBC with the money they receive from the TV Licence.

Scrap the TV Licence and we all will be required to get pay TV, and since there would be no free alternative, there would be nothing stopping them putting the prices up.

But you ARE forced to pay for the BBC...

I think when you do get pay TV, there should be 2 choices. Receive the BBC channels or not, thus giving me the option.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

The Licence fee funds the BBC only. You are paying the BBC directly since they collect it. So yes, you pay the BBC for the BBC.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The Licence fee is set by the department for culture, media and sport but is collected by the BBC television licensing authoriity and has been since 1991, I do not need to pay the BBC anything since I receive no U.K generated signals, why would I pay the BBC for watching RTE? Do you actually think that people in Ireland pay the BBC for watching their transmissions?

I'm confused. You are now saying that TVL agree with you that you don't need a licence, but started out saying "I do get letters and the odd visit from the Licence guy trying to tell me I have to buy one."

So, which is it? :confused:
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    You will not believe the barrage of unnecessary abuse I have received from the licensing authorities who cannot believe in their narrow little minds that there is a house in the UK without a TV.

Oh, I'll believe it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Well, if you ignore correspondence which needs to be dealt with

It doesn't need to be dealt with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭