Morrisons. Charity bag helpers

pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
Forum Member
I'm not sure if this happens in other branches but certainly in mine almost every week i get asked if I need help packing because there is a charity worker at the end of the aisle waiting to "help" me. I wonder if Morrisons give them basic training in packing? I have arrived home and unpacked to find squashed tomatoes and salad stuffs reduced to a pulp because of their having heavy items crammed onto them. This has happened more than once so I now say no, but am made to feel some sort of pariah for doing so. I find shopping enough of a chore without having to go through this guilt trip.
Apologies if this has been raised in the past.

Comments

• chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refuse their help. It's just to guilt trip you into another donation.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I've never noticed their packing to be worse than most shoppers I've queued behind but I agree that it's not good. I usually offer them 50p to pack or £1 to keep their hands off, their choice.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    I refuse their help. It's just to guilt trip you into another donation.

So not just me, thanks, what gets to me also is that they don't back away when you refuse but stand in their little packs of two and give you the evil eye.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't pack by the till.
    I put my things back into the trolley as they come through, then go over to a quieter place and pack my own bags carefully.
    I just say to them 'no thanks, I'm not packing bags'. It works every time.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would decline politely but firmly
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    It has happened to me in Asda a few times and I just tell them politely that I don't need any help thank you. I don't feel guilty in the slightest and you shouldn't either. I'm fed up with bloody charities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this happens in other branches but certainly in mine almost every week i get asked if I need help packing because there is a charity worker at the end of the aisle waiting to "help" me. I wonder if Morrisons give them basic training in packing? I have arrived home and unpacked to find squashed tomatoes and salad stuffs reduced to a pulp because of their having heavy items crammed onto them. This has happened more than once so I now say no, but am made to feel some sort of pariah for doing so. I find shopping enough of a chore without having to go through this guilt trip.
    Apologies if this has been raised in the past.

I doubt they even train their own till staff, a long time ago I let one "help", a loaf of bread & tmatoes placed in bag 1st then a 2L bottle of coke plonked on top - bloody useless.>:(
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see them sometimes in Asda or Iceland, but not that often. If I have my own bag, I usually just say, 'thanks but I've brought my own' and give them a 10 or 20p donation anyway, no biggie. I try not to be rude as the ones who end up doing the bagging, it's not as if they came up with the idea, it will have been the head of their club or organization. I bet you won't find them doing any bagging. :D
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the Morrisons store I go to they have young kids on the end of tills packing most weekends raising funds for local football clubs etc.
    They all look like they do not want to be there as well.
    I like to pack my own bags so do so, but will put money in the bucket anyway.
    They also have some person near the doors with a charity collection pot most days.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are there at Morrsions most weekends but I just say no. In the past I have got home to find bleach packed with bread and toilet cleaner next to rice.

Morrisons tends to more of a weekday shopping experience for me though and use Asda or Waitrose at the weekend
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do many people take much change to the supermarket these days? I usually have to say sorry, I've no money on me and hope they don't think it's an excuse, because it's true.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are a great encouragement to use the scan-as-you-shop option, where available. ;-)
  • annelieseanneliese Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just politely refuse the help as I feel weird asking for help when I'm perfectly capable on my own, doesn't seem polite. Also I give to my own charities, and my parents always told me not to feel guilt tripped into charity as that defeats the purpose of giving to charity, so I don't feel so bad in not donating. Maybe this is wrong, I'm not sure