My moneys gone. ATM Fraud or Fault?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikydog wrote: »
    You disclosed your PIN number to a 3rd party.

I'm surprised the bank are even discussing the missing money with you.

Yep, I'm afraid they will probably argue that you acted irresponsibly (whether or not your dad took it) as you will have to admit that you gave him your PIN. They will only pursue this if you have reported it to the police as well.

My husband walked away from the cashpoint without card (idiot!) and when he went back literally 60 seconds later £200 was gone. He went into the bank and they weren't interested in even talking until he had the crime ref no. and so on. We didn't get the money back, even though it was theft/fraud as it was his fault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    not looking good, is it?
    poor ange :(
  • lisa02lisa02 Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppy Seed wrote: »
    Yep, I'm afraid they will probably argue that you acted irresponsibly (whether or not your dad took it) as you will have to admit that you gave him your PIN. They will only pursue this if you have reported it to the police as well.

My husband walked away from the cashpoint without card (idiot!) and when he went back literally 60 seconds later £200 was gone. He went into the bank and they weren't interested in even talking until he had the crime ref no. and so on. We didn't get the money back, even though it was theft/fraud as it was his fault.

It's bloody awful when people are dishonest. It's the one thing that irritates me so much!!!

I was on the opposite end of that situation. Someone had left a bank card in the machine, it was flashing saying do you need more time. It spat the card out, and I withdrew it. The bank was closed so I checked the passport office but they were also closed... so I just popped the card into the overnight slot at the branch. I figured at least they have the card back and can deal with it. Better than it being left at a machine and someone trying to use it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP hasn't been online or posted since the 15/08.

Possibly on holiday?
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    The OP hasn't been online or posted since the 15/08.

Possibly on holiday?

Or her dad is guilllllttttyyyyyy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hey everyone,

sorry there has been a delay been changing internet providers, moved from virgin to sky, much better connection now thats why i not been online much for all you conspiracy theorists who think i was forced underground lol.

anyway i have news and update recieved a letter from my bank yesterday. it goes as follows.

ATm withdrawal Enquiry

Thank you for your recent query relating to the following cash machine withdrawal

3 august 2009 13.54 Yorkshire 7 £200

We have now completed the investigation and the ATM owner has carried out a check of the transaction(s) to see if any errors took place at the time of the withdrawal(s), or if the ATM showed a cash difference the enxt time it was balanced.

We can confirm that these checks have shown that an error occured during your withdrawal(s). The queried amount was paid back into your account august 12th 2009.

we hope that your enquiry has now been resolved.

If you have any queries or would like any further information, please contact us.

so all i would like to say, according to pretty much everyone on this forum my dad had already been put in prison.

so unfortunately for everyone who said it was a mere impossibility that there be an error on the atm, you was wrong.

i have phoned the bank to enquire about the exact falut, someone is going to phone me back by the end of the week.

so shall let everyone know as soon as i know something.

now apparrently it seems for all these people who designed, built and fixed atms they clearly need to brush up on the expertise. because these machines have faults they are completely unaware of.

oh and ps. i told you my dad didnt take it lol lol :) and i was right.

really pleased its been sorted and resolved. however wont be giving my card or pin to anyone else lol

Thanks everyone for the advice tho
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad it has all turned out so well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol thank you, im relieved. ive been very lucky.

i however wont hold my breathe for an apology from my bank though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    Did you read the thread? Had the outcome been anything else, she'd have been back to prove all the doubters wrong - I know I would have!

lol and that i have :)
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's excellent news, I'm glad it got sorted - and even more glad that you were right about your dad's innocence! :)

I'd also like to apologise for being among the doubters. I'm more than happy to have been proved wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JigglyBall wrote: »
    I like how your mind works - silence = guilt.
    Could it be possible that maybe she has a life, and doesn't feel the need to constantly report back to a bunch of people on the internet?

lol i like this post, and i really thought i would of heard something sooner myself but it took a full 3 weeks to sort not sure why but it did. apologies for the delay but even if i had had the internet i would of waited till i had something to say before replying rather than endlessly having to defend myself and my dad. i also would of posted had the outcome been the opposite. but it wasnt, which i was confident of it all along.

i will post again when i heard back from hsbc on the exact mysterious falut.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ange wrote: »
    lol and that i have :)

Yep, you have :) I hope my assumptions didn't cause too much offence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's excellent news, I'm glad it got sorted - and even more glad that you were right about your dad's innocence! :)

I'd also like to apologise for being among the doubters. I'm more than happy to have been proved wrong.

your apology is more than accepted, you gave your opinion, which you are most entirely entitled to. particularly since you dont know me or my dad. or what he is like or his integrity or indeed my judgement of others.

i would like an apology from the bank for their attitude and telling me i had obviously taking it out and forgotten. something i cant really imagine many people doing, yet hsbc seemed to think there are loads of people tripping over piles of notes totally £200 and then making complaints about it not being in thier bank accounts, lol

but i have many money, so all is good. altho i am amused by the barrage of posts about my fathers guilt merely because i didnt post for a week lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, you have :) I hope my assumptions didn't cause too much offence.

im a tough cookie :) and as i said before everyone is more than entitled to their opinions. since they dont know me or my family.

i can see how it looked on face value. impossible time differences an unlikely atm falut, which left the most obvious of conclusions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    I don't think they will give you money back as you gave your pin number and card to someone else..
    You are not supposed to do that with anyone - not even family (sorry :-(

apparently even when you have given your pin to someone else they have to rule out a falut. just in case.

however if it has been proven it was not a falut, then the bank is no longer obliged to investigate as i involved a third party by giving them my pin. it would be up to me to forget it or investigate it myself.

thy gave me my money back while investigate becuase i kicked up so much fuss with the woman who i spoke to cos she was awful, she like many seemed to think i or my dad had taken it.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so pleased for you ange.

These mistakes happen. They are very rare and they really shouldn't happen. But without the cash machine balance, any judgment was premature.
  • nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I just read through this whole thread tonight, it's gripping stuff! I'm glad it worked out well for you in the end ange. I have to admit though, I was one of the doubters! Will be interesting to hear the explanation from the people at the bank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ange,

I've read the whole thread, (not posted) but may I say I am so happy for you!

I had an incidence with my bank and DD charges and found out it was a family member-so I'm really pleased that this thread had a happy ending!
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you got a good resolution.

To be honest, I've been following the thread, and while some people stated categorically your dad took it, most (myself included) felt that from what you'd posted the balance of probabilities was that your dad took it. However, most of us also considered that it was possible the machine was faulty, just unlikely.

As it turned out, the machine was indeed faulty.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if the OP had just waited for the bank to do their investigation and THEN posted if there was a problem, a lot of the speculation could have been avoided. I'm glad it all turned out OK, though.
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Well done ange................nice to read some good news on the forum.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ange, I'm glad it turned out this way. I would never ever accuse my mum if such a thing happened so to have all these posts accusing her would have upset me a lot! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    To be honest, if the OP had just waited for the bank to do their investigation and THEN posted if there was a problem, a lot of the speculation could have been avoided. I'm glad it all turned out OK, though.

if you remember i posted because i needed advice about whether to go to the police or not, whether or not to wait for the bank or go to yorkshire bank. especially since i had given my pin to a third party. that is why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ange, I'm glad it turned out this way. I would never ever accuse my mum if such a thing happened so to have all these posts accusing her would have upset me a lot! :)

personally i wasnt upset about what strangers think cos they dont know my dad.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »

You're not good at apologising are you?