Why do Footballers make about £50,0000 a week

2»

Comments

• kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Seeing as footballers are talentless idiots who only kick a ball around for £50k a week I never understand why more people don't take up the profession.

If they are talentless and manage to get themselves a contract for £50k a week, then they are certainly not idiots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I have no idea but feel none of them is worth that much. The ones in the UK are only 'good' against UK teams.
    You do realise top end English clubs have been a, some would say 'the' dominant force in Europe's most prestigious competition for around 5 years right?
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    The highest paid sportsperson ever was Michael Schumacher.

He earned twice as much as Tiger Woods (who was the second highest)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    I think you may have missed the point slightly.
    You might be right. But at least I have a ready made reply now for anyone who does say what I thought he said.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    While people are daft enough to pay money to watch football, footballers will be paid silly money. Same goes for actors.
    Daft to you perhaps.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Daft to you perhaps.

No perhaps about it. That's why I said it.

Other people no doubt think I'm daft for some of the things I spend my money on. That's just life. If we all thought the same about everything there'd be no need for discussion. Or discussion boards.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    But I wouldn't call you daft if you enjoy something and you happen to spend money on it.
    Forum Member
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    If they are talentless and manage to get themselves a contract for £50k a week, then they are certainly not idiots.

At his peak, Michael Schumacher earned £100million in 1 year

That's £2million a week - even for the weeks he wasn't driving.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    bonzo88 wrote: »
    And you honestly don't see how a similar statement could be made about top professional footballers?

<looks around> where have i apparently disputed this?
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    At his peak, Michael Schumacher earned £100million in 1 year

That's £2million a week - even for the weeks he wasn't driving.

was that all from his Ferrari salary though, or from other endorsements, investments etc as well?
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This splits into two arguments. The first is why they get so much, the second is does such a position of theirs deserve such a right to a higher living than say the majority of people.
    The first is easy, so many people are paying to be 'entertained' by them that that is why they get that money. The second is a difficult one and probably just put down to the unfairness of life and a capitalistic society. Although I'm sure Roman Gladiators might have been held in very high esteem, and therefore quality of life in their time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    bonzo88 wrote: »
    And actors are merely talentless idiots who play doctors and nurses for a living

I could go through many professionals are dismiss them, but you know what, I won't. Why? Because I have a brain.

and most footballers seem to be turning to acting on the pitch these days ;)
    Forum Member
    trevalyan wrote: »
    was that all from his Ferrari salary though, or from other endorsements, investments etc as well?

That was his total estimated earnings compared to Tiger Woods total estimated earnings.

Dunno what his "salary" from Ferrari was but Jensen Button is looking for £8million salary next year and looks like he will get that from McLaren
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Like every salary in the world, it's a simple function of supply vs. demand.....
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ninjakev wrote: »
    and most footballers seem to be turning to acting on the pitch these days ;)

I agree, amateur dramatics at the very least! Ronaldo seems to take a leading role/roll! :D
    Forum Member
    "Since you arrived on this page at 8:09 p.m. Michael Schumacher earned:
    10960 dollars 59,83 cents"

Just thought you'd like to know

http://www.salary-money.com/michael-schumacher-salary-56000000.php
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    But I wouldn't call you daft if you enjoy something and you happen to spend money on it.

Ah, but you obviously have far better manners than me. :o:D

Fair enough, I rescind the use of the word "daft".
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    Yes - well they shouldn't be so stupid then, should they!! :p I have no sympathy for the likes of them - but those whose careers are cut short by injury, that's a different kettle of fish.

Apparently the players who end up skint can contact the football union who will help them out financially for a period. What other union would do that! :eek:
  • wickstawicksta Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Apparently the players who end up skint can contact the football union who will help them out financially for a period. What other union would do that! :eek:

I pay £20 a month to be a member of the union I'm in, I think you'll find that the footballers union is rather more expensive and they can afford it.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    wicksta wrote: »
    I pay £20 a month to be a member of the union I'm in, I think you'll find that the footballers union is rather more expensive and they can afford it.

Well gee thanks for letting me know.
  • Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it matter how much footballers earn?
  • Triple-PTriple-P Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squishy22 wrote: »
    Why does it matter how much footballers earn?

exactly, the people complaining are the first to say money doesnt matter!