Options

EDL March on Walthamstow.

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are always going to be more opposing than supporting. It's the nature of the beast. Of course I understand why Muslms will feel threatened, and want to confront. They have a hell of a motive.

If a radical Muslim bunch marched up Old Compton Street demanding punishment for homosexuals, you would see a huge outpouring of gay folk. I'd be there and very stroppy.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    There are always going to be more opposing than supporting. It's the nature of the beast. Of course I understand why Muslms will feel threatened, and want to confront. They have a hell of a motive.

If a radical Muslim bunch marched up Old Compton Street demanding punishment for homosexuals, you would see a huge outpouring of gay folk. I'd be there and very stroppy.

Oh, that's true.

But forgetting the size of the opposition for a moment- the EDL always claim massive popular support. This demo was hyped as being a huge one. Only a couple of hundred people showed up. I think Tommy's losing it, quite frankly. If the EDL can't get more than a couple of hundred people out to what they're pitching as a massive demo, then it's a humungous fail, and calls into question their claims to represent a popular viewpoint- or at the very least and most charitable, calls into question their ABILITY to represent that viewpoint.

If only 400 people had showed up to counter them, it would STILL be a huge fail. That's not a good sign for ANY movement.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh, that's true.

But forgetting the size of the opposition for a moment- the EDL always claim massive popular support. This demo was hyped as being a huge one. Only a couple of hundred people showed up. I think Tommy's losing it, quite frankly. If the EDL can't get more than a couple of hundred people out to what they're pitching as a massive demo, then it's a humungous fail.

If only 400 people had showed up to counter them, it would STILL be a huge fail.

Oh, sure. I do not believe there are many racist white thugs about. What's the most they ever assembled? I seem to recall the NF marches used to be quite big sometimes, but that faction has shrunk since then - despite the explosion in immigration. I think it speaks volumes for the country's tolerance.

I do not have any time for intolerant people of either side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Ahh bless em...

Their banner should say I’m a paediatrician.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh, that's true.

But forgetting the size of the opposition for a moment- the EDL always claim massive popular support. This demo was hyped as being a huge one. Only a couple of hundred people showed up. I think Tommy's losing it, quite frankly. If the EDL can't get more than a couple of hundred people out to what they're pitching as a massive demo, then it's a humungous fail, and calls into question their claims to represent a popular viewpoint- or at the very least and most charitable, calls into question their ABILITY to represent that viewpoint.

If only 400 people had showed up to counter them, it would STILL be a huge fail. That's not a good sign for ANY movement.
    The EDL had its peak about a year or so ago. It is all down hill from here for them. Although I do still think they should be allowed to express themselves in a democracy.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    The EDL had its peak about a year or so ago. It is all down hill from here for them.

Yeah, it's all diminishing returns from here on in.
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Although I do still think they should be allowed to express themselves in a democracy.

Agreed. And so should those who oppose them.

A dick.

I don't think anyone's claimed that assholery is confined to one side or t'other, have they?

Although I think that may be the wrong link, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible- I've had a few gins). I'm not seeing the knife and hammer stuff on there anywhere, although I have seen it reported elsewhere.

(EDIT- yup, got it, picture 2).