Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an e-Cig ad during today's Deal or No Deal! :o
    Surely that is illegal!

I take more offence to seeing the anti-smoking advert at lunchtime, when I'm eating. Surely e-cigs are great as far as cutting down tobacco smoking is concerned, but then some people would ban breathing if they could, just in case somebody breathed something that isn't actually there, but might be there, one day.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I dont smoke but the anti smoking ad is pretty gross TBH :eek:
  • Options
    AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Plug-oles. It's PLUG-HOLES you twonk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12.15 for the anti-smoking ad today. I can safely say that the anti-smokers are putting me off my food more than the smokers.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I dont smoke but the anti smoking ad is pretty gross TBH :eek:

So is the anti drinking one that uses the same sort of shock tactic. How long before we have e-beer?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is the anti drinking one that uses the same sort of shock tactic. How long before we have e-beer?!

Didn't Kaliber already try something similar?
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Beer Ads Were Forced to Be Honest (spoof)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx5FoDSc-0U
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barclays Digital Eagles - If I wanted advice on how to use a tablet it would not be from a corrupt bank thank you very much! >:(
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Barclays Digital Eagles - If I wanted advice on how to use a tablet it would not be from a corrupt bank thank you very much! >:(

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are they the ones with old fella who anyone would love as a granddad? I may not give a toss about what they are advertising, but the old chap always makes me smile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate that P&O cruise advert. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate the Famous Grouse advert that sponsors Deal Or No Deal, I don't like the beards! :D
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate that P&O cruise advert. >:(

Is that the one with Rob Brydon getting a free first class cruise.?
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the Famous Grouse advert that sponsors Deal Or No Deal, I don't like the beards! :D

Hmm. I thought the chap had had an accident with a bottle of PVA and some loft insulation. Doesn't look like any beard I've ever seen...:D
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why oh why has that commercial - I think for Netflix - where one of the women "accidentally" requests Fast and Furious Sex instead of F&F Six been bought back?
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I still like the Specsavers ad with the vet.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halifax are going even more over the top by featuring four (I think) people in their latest 'giving you extra' ad.

By featuring even more people it just reinforces how awfully, awfully patronising the campaign is. The voiceover makes it even worse. It makes my blood boil. To me it just looks so transparent and cynical: 'ooh, we look after the little people because they're so special and precious to us!' Go away.
  • Options
    sianpsianp Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    To raise a complaint just go to the ASA website.

However this is probably pointless. The ASA is a reactionary regulator in that it can only made a judgement after an advert has been broadcasted (the same is true of OFCOM for TV Programmes).

Thanks to its reactionary style it will take a minimum of 3-4 weeks for the ASA to complete its review (which must include asking both the agency than made the advert and the client - in this case booking.com - for there input and reasoning.)

Another reason for delay is that for TV adverts the ASA must also get advice from the Clearcast. Clearcast is a NGO that vets adverts before they go to air. By vetting they make sure that the advert does not breach the ASA code on TV Advertising, that all music rights have been cleared, that all actors & voiceover artists are full credited and impose any restrictions on an advert (these restrictions are 'not in or around childrens programmes', 'after 7.30pm', after 9pm' & 'after 10.30pm) or ban a advert outright.

The ASA must ask Clearcast why they cleared an advert to air (either with or without a restriction). Another interesting thing to note is that Clearcast is owned by ITV, ITV Breakfast Ltd, Channel 4, Channel 5, BSkyB & Turner UK.

The reason the complaint will probably be pointless is that most advertisers know that there will be a 3-4 week period that an advert can be shown (if they get it past Clearcast) before the ASA would make a ruling. In the case of the booking.com advert it would probably be banned or given a 'after 10.30pm' restriction under the issue of taste. If booking.com want to get maximum exposure from the advert without any negative effect from an ASA ruling then they will only plan to run this advert for 2-3 weeks so the campaign is finished before a decision is made.

This is a really useful post thanks. We'd got sick of seeing the ad. ASA are already 'on the case' it would appear. This is the message that you see when you enter the ASA site:

Important: Booking.com complaints

We have received a significant volume of complaints about a TV ad for Booking.com which is currently airing on a number of channels. The general nature of the complaints is that the ad is offensive and unsuitable to be seen by children because they consider the repetition of “booking” suggests a swear word.

If you have concerns about this ad, please note that you do not need to lodge your own complaint as we are already carefully assessing it to establish if there are grounds for an investigation. If you do lodge your concerns with us, please note that you will not receive correspondence from us because the matter is in hand
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's with all these beards these days, such victims of fashion these men.

Not my idea of a good look.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member

Bring back the strutting animated Grouse! I loved those ads.
    silversox wrote: »
    I must admit that I still like the Specsavers ad with the vet.

I like it too, though surely it's as old as the hills now.

An ad I dislike atm is one for some gambling site where they make it look like a theme park. Cus getting into debt is as a fun as a rollercoaster huh.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    elena wrote: »
    Halifax are going even more over the top by featuring four (I think) people in their latest 'giving you extra' ad.

By featuring even more people it just reinforces how awfully, awfully patronising the campaign is. The voiceover makes it even worse. It makes my blood boil. To me it just looks so transparent and cynical: 'ooh, we look after the little people because they're so special and precious to us!' Go away.

The four people arent 'new' though, they just combined everyone they previously featured into the same advert I thought :) Makes me wonder who is real and who is acting though, for example if one of them really is an air hostess/member of cabin crew, does she have time to appear in ads? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    "Winners Win at Winner Bingo"

Jesus, where do I start?
    The long-suffering owl, the Yvonne Cotton lookalike, the guy ripping his clothes off, or the floating head? :confused:
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    "Winners Win at Winner Bingo"

Jesus, where do I start?
    The long-suffering owl, the Yvonne Cotton lookalike, the guy ripping his clothes off, or the floating head? :confused:

Oh god that advert :cry: Is it meant to be funny, is he meant to be attractive, is it meant to be clever/funny is some way I'm just too think to get :confused:

Bingo adverts are generally the lowest of the lowest rent in terms of adverts, but that one :o
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wiltshire bloody Farm Foods with Ronnie Corbett is back on our screens again! >:(
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy Power bingo. How low does your acting career have to have sunk before you'll admit that your latest job involves being crapped on by a giant pigeon?
This discussion has been closed.