Options

Have had £14,500 accidentally deposited into my account, what to do?!

scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
Forum Member
Hello all, so two days ago I had £2500 pounds deposited into my account from some random construction company and another £12,000 again today. I only noticed when I checked my account this morning. This money has obviously been sent by that company in error.. what is the best way of giving it back? As I suppose I have to give it back! Wish I didn't have to! :cool:

Comments

• Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all, so two days ago I had £2500 pounds deposited into my account from some random construction company and another £12,000 again today. I only noticed when I checked my account this morning. This money has obviously been sent by that company in error.. what is the best way of giving it back? As I suppose I have to give it back! Wish I didn't have to! :cool:

Call the bank would be a start.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a good idea to resist temptation and give it back! If you did keep the money it would almost certainly come back to haunt you in the not too distant future.

Perhaps contacting the construction company first might be a good idea. Who knows - they may reward your honesty!
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the best thing would be to contact your bank and let them sort it out. It is probably them or the company's bank who made the mistake.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just inform the bank quick as possible, they will sort it. Don't be tempted to spend it, you will get found out and have to repay it back !
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just keep shtum and don't say a word. Don't touch the money though, just sit on it. Wait for them, or the bank, to contact you.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the bank and notify them of the error. Let them take it from there. In the meantime, admire your fat bank account, but only from a far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your useful replies yorkieUK and albertd I'll call the bank now and give the company a call. I am just surprised that it hadn't been picked up by the bank or the company (or the client to whom the money was actually intended for) and they hadn't contacted me when it happened on Tuesday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Call the bank and notify them of the error. Let them take it from there. In the meantime, admire your fat bank account, but only from a far.

Haha oh how I wish the balance always looked that good!
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Yes call the bank, I imagine that is someones wages.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    The clear answer is phone your bank.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Share it with your mates on here!;-)
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Report it to the bank or you may find yourself in trouble with the law.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    It would be a good idea to resist temptation and give it back! If you did keep the money it would almost certainly come back to haunt you in the not too distant future.

Perhaps contacting the construction company first might be a good idea. Who knows - they may reward your honesty!

Not only could it come haunt you its also against the law to hold on to it
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people could go months without checking their statements, especially if it's some kind of bond paying high interest which is added to or money taken from once-a-year. In that time the money could be in there, genuinely unknown, and gathering interest. Obviously when noticed the bank must be told, but if it hasn't been spotted genuinely in say, 2, 3 months, assuming the bank hasn't found it first, do they get to keep the interest?
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pay, in two different payments a total of £`14,500 in to your account, through no fault of your own or maybe it was, those payments end in some one else's account.

Do you think they should suppose as to whether to give your money back?

Don't spend it, inform the bank or don't spend it, put it in a easy access, unlimited withdrawal interest account, wait for a bank or solicitors letter informing you they want it back, give it back to them, less the interest earned, won't be much, see how long you get away with, err, looking after it for them.

But it's someone's, not yours, don't spend it and if you think you will be tempted, give it back now and end the desire.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    So a bit of money that doesn't belong to you is suddenly under your control, and you're wondering what to do. Imagine it the other way round - £14.5k that you [probably] posted to the correct recipient has gone missing; what do you do? Panic probably, then instigate all means known to you to recover it, check the account every 5 minutes hoping it's reappeared, check your employment T&Cs repeatedly to see if it comes out of your wages if it doesn't show up, and keep chasing the bank to see why they can't just get it back.

In the meantime our lucky winner has his little bonus; what to do with it? It's not life changing, not enough to scarper to Acapulco but hey it's enough to buy a new car, albeit a pokey little motor that'll be worth about £5k in 3 years time; or maybe some new clothes and a watch and a telly & a hi-fi but all the while you know that once the knock on the door happens, you owe someone £14.5k and you'll probably be facing some sort of legal action and the admin person who posted it incorrectly has long since lost his / her job or the junior in the bank who didn't check properly had to pay it back before being dismissed.

Why is this even half worthy of the question being asked? The money belongs to someone and needs to be returned before anyone lower down the food chain suffers for the silly error.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must tell the bank ASAP and make a detailed note of when, what was said and who you spoke to. Keep that note, just in case. If the bank has one of those online real time chat facilities use that because they will email you the conversation. That way you've proof of what you've done, should you ever need it. Not only do you have to not use the money, I think you need to cover your back too.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Withdraw the money, fake your own death and disappear to Argentina.

Nah, best not. Just phone the bank.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »

Definitely make sure you do this, Its got to be worth a bottle of champagne at least.
    If not, dob them to the local paper and practice your Daily Mail sad-face.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put it on Gin Cobbler in the 2.40 at Newcastle today.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just sit on it and not touch it. Carry on with your life and just leave the money where it is for a year and see what happens. The construction company may have been supposed to have been paying someone very rich who wouldn't even notice that they hadn't received the money. Either way, I would just leave it where it is for a good while.
  • Options
    angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    might get in trouble if you do not tell the bank is it worth the risk?? but how high is the risk lol. i don't know.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl in this story found £50K in her account and started spending it. Didn't go to jail, but got 150 hours unpaid work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2598040/Mother-went-50-000-spending-spree-council-accidentally-cash-account-reveals-shame-asks-do.html
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    You pay, in two different payments a total of £`14,500 in to your account, through no fault of your own or maybe it was, those payments end in some one else's account.

Do you think they should suppose as to whether to give your money back?

Don't spend it, inform the bank or don't spend it, put it in a easy access, unlimited withdrawal interest account, wait for a bank or solicitors letter informing you they want it back, give it back to them, less the interest earned, won't be much, see how long you get away with, err, looking after it for them.

But it's someone's, not yours, don't spend it and if you think you will be tempted, give it back now and end the desire.

Bad advice. Do not take it out of the account it's in. It will send the account into unauthorized overdraft and cost the OP lots of money in interest. The bank can reverse the transaction anytime they like without warning.