Channel 4 has destroyed The Simpsons

167891012»

Comments

• albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the censoring is pretty pathetic, and most of the time the scenes make no sense because of it.

The episode where Bart gives away Santa's Little Helper for the new dog, Laddie. At the end, Laddie sniffs out a bag of weed on the blind guy, but they cut out the bit where you see the bag fall onto the ground. So all you see is the dog briefly sniff around the blind guy and then it just cuts to Wiggum arresting him. They'll let you see people getting shot on there, but a bag of plant material falling out of a pocket is deemed unsuitable? Bizarre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just goes to show buy the dvds and never watch the tv versions.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    So petty and stupid. I used to watch The Bill repeated on UK Gold in the mornings where it wasn't greatly uncommon for them to say bastard (and even sometimes *gasp* "shit"). I suppose the argument could be made it's an adult show not a cartoon...but I was a kid watching it :D
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember watching the film "four minutes" about Roger Bannister one afternoon on BBC2, several times the characters talk about "knocking the bastard off" in reference to the record attempt.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does 7 complaints make that worthy of an article?!

It takes only one complaint if Ofcom agree with it.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there anywhere we can complain about ofcom
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    So petty and stupid. I used to watch The Bill repeated on UK Gold in the mornings where it wasn't greatly uncommon for them to say bastard (and even sometimes *gasp* "shit"). I suppose the argument could be made it's an adult show not a cartoon...but I was a kid watching it :D

You are Johnny Rotten on a talk show with Bill Grundy, AICMFP :D
    How does 7 complaints make that worthy of an article?!

That's ridiculous. It's already a heavily censored show on daytime repeats. And "bastard" is only a PG-rated word anyway.

It was a Guardian article, IIRC, which caused a reinstatement of a previously censored daytime edit, in Homer Loves Flanders. After Homer shouts: "THIS IS NED FLANDERS! MYYYYYY FRIEND!", Lenny asks, "What did he say?", and Carl once again says: "I dunno. Something about being gay."

The episode was scheduled twice in two weekends. The paper kicked off after the first screening, and it was reinstated for the second. As such, I cited this example when C4 edited a similar 'gay' comment out of another daytime episode (I forget which, now) and the morons at Viewer Enquiries tried to give excuses why it could still be cut.
    is there anywhere we can complain about ofcom

They're a law until themselves.
  • guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the bbc will ever get the Simpsons back?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »

I doubt it. They paid £100,000 an episode until 2002.

They dropped it when Channel 5 put in a bid of £700,000 an episode. Crazy money. Hate to think what Channel 4 paid if they outbid that.

Source: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc-2-loses-the-simpsons/1137680.article
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what episode it was, I feel like it may have been the one where Marge becomes an erotic baker. They pretty much cut all out that, as well as some of the other scenes, down to about 10 minutes, and it definitely had an unscheduled ad break or two.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »

Seeing as it's been abysmal for the past decade, and we've all seen the classic episodes a million times, they'd be crazy to go anywhere near it for anything other than a bargain basement price.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's airing of the episode where Homer becomes a boxer, during the fight with Tatum, it cut to Moe and Grampa talking, for some reason they cut out Grampa's line "He's going to die on his feet" for some stupid reason.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's airing of the episode where Homer becomes a boxer, during the fight with Tatum, it cut to Moe and Grampa talking, for some reason they cut out Grampa's line "He's going to die on his feet" for some stupid reason.
    I don't think they did ?? I'm sure he said that when I watched it today.
    Although on this topic , they do it to the Big Bang theory ALL the time if it's shown in the day. Makes the canned laughter or replies seem really odd.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    I don't think they did ?? I'm sure he said that when I watched it today.
    Although on this topic , they do it to the Big Bang theory ALL the time if it's shown in the day. Makes the canned laughter or replies seem really odd.

No, Grampa said something then the line was cut out.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Seeing as it's been abysmal for the past decade, and we've all seen the classic episodes a million times, they'd be crazy to go anywhere near it for anything other than a bargain basement price.

Which begs the question: why moan about cuts to episodes?

You know it's going to be cut.

You've probably seen it cut and /or uncut umpteen times; you've probably even got it on DVD.

You can even go online and see where it's been cut.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky is at it now. So many cuts in episodes in the new cropped to widescreen/upscaled versions. Been noticing them for weeks. Just recently; Blood is edited out of the final Mcbain shooting scene, and in Bart the Murderer the word "prostitution" as one of Bart's offences is cut. I checked Youtube and saw the cropped/upscaled US versions and they aren't cut so it's definitely Sky doing it.

FOX are doing the same with Family Guy, too. Lots of little bits here and there, but mainly noticed this because one of my bro's fave scenes that I always tape for him is gone. It's on the Bill Clinton episode with Peter/Lois and Stewie's crappy drawing. The end bit where they tear it up and laugh at it is gone. Who knows what else is gone.

NONE of these scenes were previously edited. The hell is going on...?