Options

How cold would it have to get before major rivers and the sea become frozen?

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With all this cold weather I was wondering how cold it would have to get before major rivers such as the Thames and seas become frozen over?

Comments

• Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    My river was frozen solid and its half frozen again now since it's got cold again. The ice age is a coming! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure but the video in the link is from where I live and was shot in 1963.
    http://sasesearch.brighton.ac.uk/view/?film=1032
    The URL says brighton but the film is Herne Bay.
    Temp was as low as -16
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Thames froze on more than one occasion during the 17th Century. The ice was thick enough for ice fairs to be held on it. I also seem to recall that the sea froze during the cold spell in 1947.
  • Options
    Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooer missy
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    The experience from Scandinavia is that the temperatures have to be consistently below 0 Celsius for a long period of time before rivers start to freeze over as this photo shows http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/nicole_sparrow/3/1269857185/frozen-river-near-our-hostel.jpg/tpod.html.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    The Thames froze on more than one occasion during the 17th Century. The ice was thick enough for ice fairs to be held on it. I also seem to recall that the sea froze during the cold spell in 1947.

Bridges had very short spans back then and many more supports. The result was that the flow was much reduced and made freezing more likely. The Thames hasn't frozen to that extent since the old bridges were demolished.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The river here was frozen - right across in some places, partially in others - the week before last. The large lake near here was 100% frozen over today. Last year, it stayed frozen for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    The Clyde froze over in Glasgow last winter and I believe it already has this winter. Quite a few lochs have also frozen over. Last year they almost held the Grand Match (outdoor curling tournment) on Lake of Menteith for the first time since 1979 - although the short notice logistics required made the official event impossible, plenty of unofficial matches were held on the ice.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one of those pics people are walking along the ice covered river! That's brave imagine if you felt the ice start to crack
  • Options
    blackdogblackblackdogblack Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly Niagra Falls apparently froze about 100 years ago http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_niagara_falls_frozen.htm
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The river has not frozen where I am. but it has a lot of floating ice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Ice floes in our river this year - Never seen it before - Minor river in Northumberland, but important to us...
  • Options
    BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Thames actually did start to freeze over 1 night at the beginning of the year at about 4am, but it didn't stay for long. Was back to flowing river by dawn the next day.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very cold
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure but the video in the link is from where I live and was shot in 1963.
    http://sasesearch.brighton.ac.uk/view/?film=1032
    The URL says brighton but the film is Herne Bay.
    Temp was as low as -16
    I remember a huge tangle of ice floes on the Medway around a big "no swimming" sign at The Strand in Gillingham that winter.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the thames used to freeze up just about every year and they had carnivals and suchlike on it
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    IIRC, salt water starts to freeze at about -10°c.
    It'll only freeze properly if it's still though, otherwise you end up with a sort of salty "Mr Frosty" type effect.

Don't forget, as well, that the sea is heated by constant undersea volcanic activity so you almost always have hot currents under the surface.
    The sea settles into layers of different temperatures so well-defined that sonar can bounce off the intersection of each layer.
    As a result of this it's only ever the top layers ow water that freeze (or get warm in summer).
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly Niagra Falls apparently froze about 100 years ago http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_niagara_falls_frozen.htm

Thank you for that, those photos were fascinating. :)
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It'll only freeze properly if it's still though, otherwise you end up with a sort of salty "Mr Frosty" type effect.

Don't forget, as well, that the sea is heated by constant undersea volcanic activity so you almost always have hot currents under the surface.
    The sea settles into layers of different temperatures so well-defined that sonar can bounce off the intersection of each layer.
    As a result of this it's only ever the top layers ow water that freeze (or get warm in summer).

Fab post - you really should have prefixed it with "here comes the Science Bit" though :D
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    the thames used to freeze up just about every year and they had carnivals and suchlike on it
    No, it did not. It froze over on 22 occasions between 1408 and 1814, and frost fairs were held during only some of those events.

After the old London Bridge was replaced in the 1830s, freeze-overs no longer occurred, despite conditions that were sometimes colder.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    No, it did not. It froze over on 22 occasions between 1408 and 1814, and frost fairs were held during only some of those events.

After the old London Bridge was replaced in the 1830s, freeze-overs no longer occurred, despite conditions that were sometimes colder.

yup, plus the construction of the Embankment which narrowed the river made it less likely to freeze - I think because it became faster flowing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I don't know but this has just reminded me of something that really riled me the other day.

Was walking along the canal which was frozen and little girl (6/7) was walking straight up the middle of the canal, with her father seemingly happy about it as he was walking the path along side and not calling her back, the pair carried on walking as they were. I was shocked really that someone would let there daughter do that, ok she was only lightweight but the ice thickness will certainly vary as it's only been freezing for a week and parts of the canal were not froze at all.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It would have to be incredibly salty for that. Typical sea water starts to freeze at about -2C.
    Geothermal flux is not a significant source of ocean heat, except locally in a few places. Most of it comes from solar heating of the surface water, and the circulation of that water into the deep oceans.
    And that's wrong too. Whereas fresh water expands anomalously (it is most dense at 4C), sea water behaves like most other liquids, so that it is most dense at its freezing point. This means that the nearly-freezing water sinks and gets replaced by warmer water from below. This is why sea water (unless very shallow) is much less likely to freeze than freshwater, even though the freezing point isn't that much lower.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    With all this cold weather I was wondering how cold it would have to get before major rivers such as the Thames and seas become frozen over?

Lakes and canals will go first. Areas with faster moving water, like rivers, will be the last to go. Takes weeks of persistent frost though
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    In one of those pics people are walking along the ice covered river! That's brave imagine if you felt the ice start to crack

I once walked over a deep frozen lake there were about 7 of us on it and we heard a almighty crack I could not get of that ice fast enough.