Ps4 Question

FunctionFunction Posts: 759
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry for probably sounding a little behind the times but will the PS4 play PS3 games?

Comments

• KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they are talking about using the Gaikai cloud streaming service for getting ps2 and 3 games onto the console (I don't know the full details on this) but the ps4 will not be running ps3 games from disc.
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they are talking about using the Gaikai cloud streaming service for getting ps2 and 3 games onto the console (I don't know the full details on this) but the ps4 will not be running ps3 games from disc.

Thanks for the reply it looks like the PS3 is getting sold then. You just gave me the green light. ;)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but will they be FREE for those whove already bought them?????
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    but will they be FREE for those whove already bought them?????

I very much doubt it.

Unless they're games you bought via the PSN Store, how would Sony know what you've already bought? Disc-based games won't be tied to your PSN account.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barcode scan?
    or input the barcode number into PSN?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I very much doubt it.

Unless they're games you bought via the PSN Store, how would Sony know what you've already bought? Disc-based games won't be tied to your PSN account.

I'm not expert (so be nice if this is completely stupid) could they not tell what disk is the system, then the PS4 would recognize the game and let me stream it using GaiKai

For example, say i insert my The Last Of Us disk in a PS4, the PS4 does an online check and it sees that the last of us is in the tray, now it could let me stream in for as long as the disk is in the tray

That way you could stop people buying games authenticating them once to be able to stream them and then selling them
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    barcode scan?
    or input the barcode number into PSN?
    Each copy of a specific game in a specific region has the same barcode. Game barcodes and barcode numbers can be found on the internet, obtained through friends/family etc. It offers zero proof of purchase.
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I'm not expert (so be nice if this is completely stupid) could they not tell what disk is the system, then the PS4 would recognize the game and let me stream it using GaiKai

For example, say i insert my The Last Of Us disk in a PS4, the PS4 does an online check and it sees that the last of us is in the tray, now it could let me stream in for as long as the disk is in the tray

That way you could stop people buying games authenticating them once to be able to stream them and then selling them
    That's assuming the PS4 can read PS3 code on Blu-ray discs. It would also need to read enough of the code to verify that the disc is real and not a copy, meaning that some level of backwards compatibility would need to be included in the PS4 OS.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    Each copy of a specific game in a specific region has the same barcode. Game barcodes and barcode numbers can be found on the internet, obtained through friends/family etc. It offers zero proof of purchase.

That's assuming the PS4 can read PS3 code on Blu-ray discs. It would also need to read enough of the code to verify that the disc is real and not a copy, meaning that some level of backwards compatibility would need to be included in the PS4 OS.

Why wouldn't it be able to read the code? There shouldn't be an issue in that department any more than there is the PS3 reading the PS1 and PS2 discs.

You don't need backwards compatibility just to be able to read the pic zone of the BD, you just need to know the encryption which Sony evidently do.

Having said this I think it's far more likely that Sony will go down the subscription route, maybe PS+ Platinum or something where you get access to the entire back catalog as long as you keep paying.

It's also worth noting that this service may not launch in 2014 so I wouldn't sell the PS3 just yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony should offer a service like if you send the ps3 disc to them along with your psn name it then let's you access the game on gaikai free
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Function wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply it looks like the PS3 is getting sold then. You just gave me the green light. ;)

Just be aware that the Gaikai streaming service will begin rolling out in 2014, first of all in the USA, so we don't know when we'll get it.

I'd hang onto that PS3 for now if you can afford to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    No, PS4 play PS3 games. There is a streaming service in development (Gaikai) that will be used to stream some PS1, 2 and 3 games to the PS4. This srvice helps for playing PS3 games with PS4.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Don't wish to start a new thread, anyone heard if it's going to include a stand, I've heard conflicting reports.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Don't wish to start a new thread, anyone heard if it's going to include a stand, I've heard conflicting reports.

It won't according to Sony.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be aware that the Gaikai streaming service will begin rolling out in 2014, first of all in the USA, so we don't know when we'll get it.

And if the streaming is anything like Onlive is now it will be low resoution laggy experience, OP keep the PS3 for now.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    And if the streaming is anything like Onlive is now it will be low resoution laggy experience, OP keep the PS3 for now.

I would hope they have ironed out most issue like that before they launch otherwise its not going to have great long term success which is what they will want. If people get burnt early with GaiKai it will be hard to win back those customers and curb the smack talk about the service even if it improves to perfect streaming.

If most people first experience of Gaikai is through BC then they will likely be trying it for free so if Sony hope to actually get people paying that experience has to be good from the start. I hope the reason it is launching after the actual console is to try and achieve good results from the first day the service starts.

Personally I am very intrigued by Gaikai but I am also very sceptical Sony can pull it off (I hope they can prove me wrong though)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony should offer a service like if you send the ps3 disc to them along with your psn name it then let's you access the game on gaikai free
    Or how about just putting the disc in the console?

It can't run the data on the disc, but it can still read it to then verify it's validity.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »

It can't run the data on the disc, but it can still read it to then verify it's validity.

A good idea, but surely the games or the console would need the facility to read or contain that bit of data. It's not been mentioned so I don't think it's been implemented, they would of had to start with the games years ago.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

It's a nice idea for PS3 games, but I'm not sure if there's any data a PS4 would be capable of reading to identify a specific PSOne or PS2 disc.

Put a PS3 game, or most Blu-rays in a PS3 and the title, plus artwork appears onscreen. I'm guessing this is a specially made file, because If you put a PSOne, PS2 or DVD disc in, you just get a generic message giving just the disc type.

I don't see any reason why your idea couldn't work with PS3 discs though. It would be a great solution.