TV forgets channels every time it comes out of standby

Hi everyone,
my father in law has a Samsung LE32B530P7W which is a few years old. It's developed a problem whereby everytime it comes out of standby, it starts on Channel 4 with a black screen - ie it's looking where Channel 4 used to be pre-switchover. I've done a full re-tune which brings all the channels back until the TV goes into standby when it forgets everything again.

I think it needs a full reset but I've googled how to do that for this model and no suggested method to bring up the service menu works. Can anyone help?

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it's not just defaulting to the analogue tuner, and a switch back to digital is all that's required?
    Are you certain all the digital channels are lost each time?

On my Samsung you switch between analogue and digital by repeated pressing of the same channel number on the remote.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Perform a factory reset - i.e. resetting the TV to how it was when it was fresh out of the box.

Then re-tune it.

It doesn't need a service menu, the option is in the main menu itself.

All you need for this is the instruction manual and an acknowledgement that it may be named differently in the menu - i.e. "shipping condition" etc.

Don't look for a name match, look for something where the definition of the name matches the job it is to do.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Perform a factory reset - i.e. resetting the TV to how it was when it was fresh out of the box.

Then re-tune it.

The OP can't find out how to do a factory reset on their model.

I've got a Samsung, and was confident it would be an option in the menu, but I confess I can't find it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just defaulting to the analogue tuner, and a switch back to digital is all that's required?
    Are you certain all the digital channels are lost each time?

On my Samsung you switch between analogue and digital by repeated pressing of the same channel number on the remote.

It says DTV Air in the channel box so it's definitely on DTV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »

Then re-tune it.

It doesn't need a service menu, the option is in the main menu itself.

All you need for this is the instruction manual and an acknowledgement that it may be named differently in the menu - i.e. "shipping condition" etc.

Don't look for a name match, look for something where the definition of the name matches the job it is to do.

There's a 'plug and play' option which does a first time installation but even when I do this the TV forgets all the channels next time it's brought out of standby
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    The OP can't find out how to do a factory reset on their model.

I've got a Samsung, and was confident it would be an option in the menu, but I confess I can't find it.

Likewise, I've looked through every menu and there's nothing that indicates an option to reset
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found an on-line manual that seems to suggest that pressing and holding the EXIT button will perform a factory reset if you confirm it.

From the Troubleshooting section.
    The ‘Resets all settings to the default values.’ message appears.

This appears when you press and hold the EXIT button for a while. The product settings are reset to the factory defaults.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you got a link to the manual?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a link to the manual?
    Can't link directly. But I found it here.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/201025/Samsung-Le32b530p7w-User-Manual.html

Always possible there is a copy on the Samsung website as well in the Support section if you search on the model number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I gave that a try, the option to reset all settings came up, I pressed OK and it went into standby. I half expected it to come out of standby by itself but it didn't and all that was reset was the picture and sound settings.

It looks like it's a problem that happened ages ago as when it comes out of standby some of the channels listed include Sky Three and Virgin 1 but the in laws haven't realised anything was wrong as they have a BT Vision box attached which they just use all the time.

The reason it's a problem now is that they're looking to replace this set and then use this one as a second TV in the conservatory which would be fine if they weren't going to have to tune the TV in every time they switch it on. Thanks for all help so far but if anyone has any other ideas I'll be more than happy to give them a try
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky 3 and Virgin haven't been on Freeview for ages. So if they have retuned frequently those channels should not be listed at all. If they are showing up in the channel list then there is something seriously screwed somewhere.

Either that or they are not actually retuning the TV correctly. One thing to do would be to delete every channel either from a menu option or by unplugging the aerial and initiating a full Auto Tune. Make sure that the channel list is totally empty and that it remains empty when the set is turned off and back on again. Also turn the TV off at the mains rather than just put it into standby. And give it at least a minute before switching back on to ensure the power supply is fully discharged.

Once all the existing channel information is wiped then do a full tune (with aerial plugged in) and see if that has made a difference.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming it is broken you could always get a cheap Freeview box to go with it.