How did Lady Gaga fall so far from grace?

james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So it seems the VMAs have totally shunned her.

To think a few years ago they were begging her to appear in the hope of getting higher ratings.

What exactly happened to make her such a big turn off?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    She was a fad. She'll still keep going as she was smart enough to be very engaging with her fans so as to build up a large fan-base.

However her whole high fashion, avant-garde image was never going to maintain the public's interest forever, and they've moved on now. She was never a particularly sustainable pop star.

Also, in my personal opinion, she seems to get more and more irritating by the day, which certainly doesn't help.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Not every artist performs EVERY year though ...
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the prize for the least researched thread of the year goes to the OP :)

She couldn't do the VMA's even if she or they wanted her to because she is on tour in Australia and performing in Melbourne the night they are on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Slojo wrote: »
    And the prize for the least researched thread of the year goes to the OP :)

She couldn't do the VMA's even if she or they wanted her to because she is on tour in Australia and performing in Melbourne the night they are on.

I think the OP was referring to her lack of nominations.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    Maybe her videos just weren't good enough to get nominated.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She got crap. Simple.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes she was a unique popstar to begin with but then she didn't evolve enough. If anything her music has got worse. She's never really topped Bad Romance. She's a good singer but I don't think she's as good a songwriter as she thinks she is.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vdp2791 wrote: »
    I think the OP was referring to her lack of nominations.

This.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her artpop videos have been good but no where near the quality her last two albums had videos for.

But because of the high quality videos she did, people will always look to Gaga to produce top videos and then expect her to sweep the VMA's. Quite the same with her album sales. Too much pressure on the woman by her fans.
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame about Gaga :( everything just started to go wrong since Born This Way. I think she really needs to go away and focus on a new album and not posts photos/tweets about it and be like "this music is for you monsters, the new generation" :D:blush: me trying to do one of her OTT posts! I reckon her jazz album coming out soon with Tony will help her in the long run. She needs to stop trying to top herself with interviews/outfits etc. too, just be yourself damn it! Tone it down and try and go back to your old pop roots daaahling.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    Her artpop videos have been good but no where near the quality her last two albums had videos for.

But because of the high quality videos she did, people will always look to Gaga to produce top videos and then expect her to sweep the VMA's. Quite the same with her album sales. Too much pressure on the woman by her fans.

Well to be fair to the fans, their expectations come from the hype she puts out that she simply can't deliver on.

Maybe if she just realeased a track/album without acting like it's God's gift to the world, people would not have such high expectations of her work.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe the problem with Lady Gaga is quite simply her music is nowhere near as good as it has been. If she was still releasing music like she was four/five years ago she wouldn't be in this position now. I get that an artist needs to evolve somewhat, but her subsequent attempts have tried way too hard and are far too overproduced. Quite simply, I think she needs to write a hit record.

This article by the NY posts gives a fascinating insight into a lot of what went on behind the scenes:
    http://nypost.com/2013/12/14/what-happened-to-lady-gaga/
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her music isn't as good anymore, and she's become too big for her boots, and has become too desperate to shock. Nobody relates to her anymore. She only appeals to her weirdo die-hard fans, not casual listeners.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Yes she was a unique popstar to begin with but then she didn't evolve enough. If anything her music has got worse. She's never really topped Bad Romance. She's a good singer but I don't think she's as good a songwriter as she thinks she is.

Poker Face, Just Dance and Bad Romance will always be her signature songs, I do think that she has peaked. But you never know, nothing is certain.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Increasing poor songs combined with an increasingly irritating and delusional personality isn't a good combo. No one is going to buy it if she's parading herself as high art while releasing generic Europop.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Her music isn't as good anymore, and she's become too big for her boots, and has become too desperate to shock. Nobody relates to her anymore. She only appeals to her weirdo die-hard fans, not casual listeners.

This.

Her ego has gotten out of control & she started making wildly OTT pronouncements about her "art" without the material to back it up. Her music isn't bad, but in no way does it match the hysterical hype she's given it. People can smell BS a mile off.
    Its all a case of Emperor's New Clothes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    The choice of singles from Artpop have been a let down, except do what you want but it wasn't no poker face or bad romance unfortunately
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seriously started to irritate me with her Jo Calderone male alter ego, especially at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2011. I didn't mind her before that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she started to believe her hype, the ego exploded, she became boring, personally i don`t think she took the somewhat under performance of the artpop era well, especially around the beginning with the Applause Vs Roar chart battle, which was even more off putting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The material wasn't better, the hype exceeded the product, she stopped being remotely relatable to the mainstream pop audience. The self pitying tone of Applause and Do What You Want lyrically didn't match with the music. She made herself the centre of attention and then complained about it. People prefer their celebrities to be braggadocious and glamourous, not ungrateful for the riches and attention they have been afforded and given. "Poor little rich girl" who also happens to get her bum out at every opportunity and then complains about being sexualised and critically appraised doesn't jibe with being a pop star. "I was smoking pot and doing cocaine constantly, barely able to write anything in front of my grand piano." Wow, that's identifiable.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    she started to believe her hype, the ego exploded, she became boring, personally i don`t think she took the somewhat under performance of the artpop era well, especially around the beginning with the Applause Vs Roar chart battle, which was even more off putting

Oh God the whole Applause vs. Roar thing was this time last year. It was absolutely embarrassing for Gaga. Roar leaked, and then conveniently within a matter of hours a HQ snippet of Applause leaked. Why a HQ SNIPPET would leak as opposed to a whole song is beyond me. It was so obvious that she''d leaked it herself to try and take the spotlight from Roar.

Anyway, Roar was slaying worldwide, and then all of a sudden Gaga declared a 'pop emergency' (cringe) and brought the release date forward. Applause gets released. Her stupid fans go wild for it, of course. Everyone else is kind of like, meh.

And what happens? Roar absolutely annihilates Applause in terms of chart placings, sales and critical response. Applause absolutely paled in comparison despite Gaga's continuous desperate attempts to garner some interest in it. Meanwhile, Roar absolutely slays effortlessly - little to no promotion, no video, no gimmicks, just a great pop song that the whole world loved, making it go #1 everywhere, and stayed in the charts for months afterwards. Gaga could learn a lot from Katy Perry.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Tbh it all started to go downhill with Born This Way. There was so much expectation following The Fame, and what was delivered was an album of mostly average pop songs. The Edge Of Glory being the only song close to being half decent, imo.

With the Born This Way era failing to live up to expectations, I think people (in general) weren't so quick to go "OMZZZ AMAZEBALLS BEFORE I EVEN HEAR IT" and reserved judgement.

Applause was an ok lead single but as boddism posted, the way Lady Gaga bigged up her album as a proclamation of art, and something about aura iirc, it would've just put people off before they even heard the music.

Lady Gaga just needs to reinvent herself. It can be done but what's crucial is making brilliant pop music. Trying to recreate former glories doesn't work either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Tbh it all started to go downhill with Born This Way. There was so much expectation following The Fame, and what was delivered was an album of mostly average pop songs. The Edge Of Glory being the only song close to being half decent, imo.

With the Born This Way era failing to live up to expectations, I think people (in general) weren't so quick to go "OMZZZ AMAZEBALLS BEFORE I EVEN HEAR IT" and reserved judgement.

Applause was an ok lead single but as boddism posted, the way Lady Gaga bigged up her album as a proclamation of art, and something about aura iirc, it would've just put people off before they even heard the music.

Lady Gaga just needs to reinvent herself. It can be done but what's crucial is making brilliant pop music. Trying to recreate former glories doesn't work either.

Looking at that NYPost article, all of those people who helped her get where she was got tossed aside, including her manager when he tried to convince her that the label wanted more potential singles and she didn't want to "adulterate her art" by recording any more tracks.

Pop will eat itself in effect, she lost the keys to her success and now is being shut out.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vdp2791 wrote: »
    She was a fad. She'll still keep going as she was smart enough to be very engaging with her fans so as to build up a large fan-base.

However her whole high fashion, avant-garde image was never going to maintain the public's interest forever, and they've moved on now. She was never a particularly sustainable pop star.

Also, in my personal opinion, she seems to get more and more irritating by the day, which certainly doesn't help.

This.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did enjoy Artpop but the music was very "disposable" and certainly nowhere near the enduring quality of Dance In The Dark, Bad Romance, Pokerface, etc.