Sri Lankan Cricketers Shot

2»

Comments

• tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Pakistan venues will now not host some of the games at the 2011 World Cup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Hmm... let's hope the fact that Pakistan's neighbours Afganistan who have had great success in the Cricket World Cup Qualifiers don't offer their venues. I would imagine all hell would break loose.

I doubt it, especially considering it was Afghan nationals who were involved in the Sri Lankan cricket attack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Pakistan venues will now not host some of the games at the 2011 World Cup.

To make this decision 2 years before the event is plain wrong. A lot can happen in 2 years. Personally, I think, if they dont hold it partly in Pakistan, it should not be held in India either. They also have a problem with idiots terrorising people.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »
    To make this decision 2 years before the event is plain wrong. A lot can happen in 2 years. Personally, I think, if they dont hold it partly in Pakistan, it should not be held in India either. They also have a problem with idiots terrorising people.

Funny how 7/7 in the middle of the Ashes didn't raise too many "security" questions.
  • WoddyWoddy Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how 7/7 in the middle of the Ashes didn't raise too many "security" questions.

Probably because "7/7" didn't target cricketers, hence people thought sport was untouchable.
  • RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member

I am sure the Sri Lankan team will not be playing any cricket in Pakistan for many many years so this seems a sensible decision to me. The attack was aimed at cricketers, not a random terror attack like 7/7 aimed at the general public. Surely everyone can see the huge difference here?
    There will be no international cricket played in Pakistan for a very long while and that is just the way it is. India have not had any terrorist activity linked to cricket that I have heard about so why should they lose out?
    Forum Member
    Woddy wrote: »
    Probably because "7/7" didn't target cricketers, hence people thought sport was untouchable.

Thats true, however when cricketers are out and about, they are members of the public, so are not immune from a terrorist attack.
    Realale wrote: »
    I am sure the Sri Lankan team will not be playing any cricket in Pakistan for many many years so this seems a sensible decision to me. The attack was aimed at cricketers, not a random terror attack like 7/7 aimed at the general public. Surely everyone can see the huge difference here?
    There will be no international cricket played in Pakistan for a very long while and that is just the way it is. India have not had any terrorist activity linked to cricket that I have heard about so why should they lose out?

To be honest, even if the left the decision to 6 months before the WC was to start, I still couldnt see Pakistan getting the tournament, which is fair enough. To me, making a decision this early is a bit silly.
    Forum Member
    Thats true, however when cricketers are out and about, they are members of the public, so are not immune from a terrorist attack.

To be honest, even if the left the decision to 6 months before the WC was to start, I still couldnt see Pakistan getting the tournament, which is fair enough. To me, making a decision this early is a bit silly.

The public can be attacked in any country of the world but Pakistan is the only one that has had a targeted attack at a cricket team. No professional cricket team would go there even for the equivalent of the IPL millions.
    Come on, surely they have to make the call as early as possible to get it properly organised (mind you this is the ICC involved).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woddy wrote: »

But 7/7 plotters originally planned to gas both Ashes teams. That plot was uncovered later.
    Forum Member
    But 7/7 plotters originally planned to gas both Ashes teams. That plot was uncovered later.

Have you got a link to that as it is the 1st time I have heard any mention of it? How on earth would they have done that anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realale wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that as it is the 1st time I have heard any mention of it? How on earth would they have done that anyway?

Nerve gas in the changing rooms, I believe, and I am searching for the story on cricinfo (I think that is where I read it) - it is very worrying how many cricket stories about terrorist plots there are to search through :(
    Forum Member

First time I have heard that theory as well.

Not sure of the logic of attacking the Australians. They are not a big player in the fight on the 'axis of evil'. Surely from 'Al-qaeda' point of view they have more to gain from attacking the English team?

Not sure I give it much credability.
    Forum Member

Thanks for that, sounds like a lot of bravado to me personally and something done to get more publicity rather than an actual planned attack, but what do I know?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I think the nerve gas story is complete rubbish. If the Aussies took it seriously they would have pulled out of the tour.

South Africa is hardly the safest place to visit, though very few spectators from other countries will be following the IPL, and of course it is not terrorism, but basic crime that is the problem in that country. Off topic but I fear for the football supporters visiting there next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I think the nerve gas story is complete rubbish. If the Aussies took it seriously they would have pulled out of the tour.

South Africa is hardly the safest place to visit, though very few spectators from other countries will be following the IPL, and of course it is not terrorism, but basic crime that is the problem in that country. Off topic but I fear for the football supporters visiting there next year.

I think right now the worst places to visit in the world are Zimbabwe, The Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire to you old-schoolers) and Somalia with Zimbabwe the only one having a big sporting impact (cricket)