Options

When (and why) did Madonna start to get named the 'Queen of Pop'?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason she lip synced had a lot to do with the nature of the Super Bowl. They only had a brief time to set up the stage and couldn't do a sound check, because the football game was going on. Totally different circumstances from Live 8. It did sound to me though that Like A Prayer was live. I'm not sure though.
    Actually anyone who thought this performance was second rate is the deluded one. It was univerally praised by the media and people who aren't normally Madonna fans, who usually have it in for her.
    I'm not a fan of medleys. I like to hear complete songs. But she did do brief portions of Open Your Heart and Express Yourself.
    Also, at the Super Bowl, they almost always have guest acts. I think it's something the organizers encourage. I think she did an amazing job of incorporating the younger acts while being true to herself.
    At the end of the day, this wasn't a Madonna concert. It was a halftime show at the SuperBowl. She had to adapt the unique circumstances she was presented with . She herself said she didn't have complete freedom. So I wouldn't change anything about the performance.
    I only rarely hear Madonna referred to as the Queen of Pop. It's not something that anyone calls her constantly in the same way that they used it with Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    After 30 years still dividing opinion and causing bitchy debate!
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    opinion is one thing, however, i feel you have once again crossed the line here though. frankly, its extremely patronising and condescending in all honesty. its like you honestly believe that you are of the only opinion that matters. there will always be fans of mj and madonna, they will continue to rank as two of the greats.

I agree with you. I'm not sure what this poster's motive is. I think everyone here gets his/her opinion loud and clear without being constantly accused of being deluded etc.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    The reason she lip synced had a lot to do with the nature of the Super Bowl. They only had a brief time to set up the stage and couldn't do a sound check, because the football game was going on. Totally different circumstances from Live 8. It did sound to me though that Like A Prayer was live. I'm not sure though.
    Actually anyone who thought this performance was second rate is the deluded one. It was univerally praised by the media and people who aren't normally Madonna fans, who usually have it in for her.
    I'm not a fan of medleys. I like to hear complete songs. But she did do brief portions of Open Your Heart and Express Yourself.
    Also, at the Super Bowl, they almost always have guest acts. I think it's something the organizers encourage. I think she did an amazing job of incorporating the younger acts while being true to herself.
    At the end of the day, this wasn't a Madonna concert. It was a halftime show at the SuperBowl. She had to adapt the unique circumstances she was presented with . She herself said she didn't have complete freedom. So I wouldn't change anything about the performance.
    I only rarely hear Madonna referred to as the Queen of Pop. It's not something that anyone calls her constantly in the same way that they used it with Michael Jackson.

Just look at the BEP debacle for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are wrong about MJ.

MJ was first called the King Of Pop by promoter Don King (most famous for Boxing) when he was promoting the imminent The Jacksons 1984 Victory tour. But as he is notorious for his hyperbole that has been historically ignored for Liz Taylor's "the true King of Pop, Rock, and Soul” quote at the 1989 Soul Train awards show. Thereafter, MJ insisted as a prerequisite for appearances at awards shows, video exclusives, etc that he was called that "King Of Pop" label, which was one of the reasons why his original Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad trilogy producer (Quincy Jones), and his 1980s manager (Frank Di Leo) bailed out of his world because they thought the fame was getting to him.

As for Madonna, it was year end 1985, when firstly Billboard labelled her chart domination of the year (mid Nov1984-mid Nov1985) with the "Queen Of Pop" moniker; indeed from 1985 Smash Hits magazine (which was notorious for giving popstars silly, and sometimes ego bashing nicknames) first labelled her "Her Madgesty" in tribute to Dame Edna Everage's Madge, silent, sour-faced "bridesmaid and travelling companion", after a week of their Saturday night ITV chat show when they did a medley of Into The Groove/Like A Virgin/Material Girl in tribute when beau Sean Penn was a guest; in the aftermath of her brilliant Live Aid performance; which resulted in her album Like A Virgin going to top the UK charts; and Into The Groove & Holiday becoming the top two in the singles charts. (A far cry and stark contrast from her poor performance on Sunday night, and her single currently languishing at #24 on UK iTunes).

stark contrast from her poor performance on Sunday night,

pmsl :) yeah she was terrible wasnt she ...and to think the biggest audience in american history seen her terrible performance :( .....ohhh the shame ...do shut up :) 300 million records sold..thats why she is the queen of pop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maninthequeue???

Did we even watch the same show ? your hatred for madonna is showing ...1 to madonna 0 to you :)

michael jackson also mimed at the superbowl so if the king can do it so can the queen ...if she would have sang live u would have slagged her for that aswell ..your obsession with madonna is unhealthy ...seek help pmsl :) madonna got rave reveiws in america ..lots of famous stars loved it ...even britney loved it and she is the princess ..gaga didnt comment but thats not a suprise really is it pmsl :)

she is the queen of pop because she has sold the most records in my opinion ...

carry on ranting about madonna tho ..she has obviously pushed your buttons :) which is what she sets out to do with everything she has done in her career :)
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkglue wrote: »
    maninthequeue???

Did we even watch the same show ? your hatred for madonna is showing ...1 to madonna 0 to you :)

michael jackson also mimed at the superbowl so if the king can do it so can the queen ...if she would have sang live u would have slagged her for that aswell ..your obsession with madonna is unhealthy ...seek help pmsl :) madonna got rave reveiws in america ..lots of famous stars loved it ...even britney loved it and she is the princess ..gaga didnt comment but thats not a suprise really is it pmsl :)

she is the queen of pop because she has sold the most records in my opinion ...

carry on ranting about madonna tho ..she has obviously pushed your buttons :) which is what she sets out to do with everything she has done in her career :)

:rolleyes:

As you have clearly seen from my posts I have posted several examples of great Madonna Live performances across three decades; where she rightly earnt the title of the Queen Of Pop (far more than MJ ever did, IMHO, but that is entirely a different matter). I have praised her back catalogue saying it is second only to the Beatles.

But just like the Elvis Presley in the 1970s, the Rolling Stones & Paul McCartney in the 1980s, ... through to U2 with there last album/tour; all great sport stars; most appliances; etc, there comes a time for fair minded people to realise that a person or an item is not as great as they/it once were. After her first dud album in three decades in the business (Hard Candy); and her last tour (Sticky & Sweat) mixed reviews compared to the rave reviews for her previous (Re-Invention) tour then Madonna's Superbowl performance offered further evidence that she no longer leads the pack as the best female pop star in music today, something she did effortlessly for over two decades.

If you think that Superbowl performance was better than most of what Madonna has done live in the first 25 years of her career, then I strongly think you are wrong.

Compared to her 1985 Live Aid performance; her 2005 Live 8 performance; etc and recent Superbowl half-time turns from Bruce Springsteen (2009); Tom Petty (2008); Prince (2007) then it was substandard from an act who has delivered so much better in the past.

That is certainly not a criticism of the act whom I've bought all her albums since 1984 when I was 13 and bought over a dozen of her singles; who I have seen in concert in the 80s; 90s & 00s. Nor is it a criticism of an act who stayed at the top of chart domination (from 1984-2006) for longer than any other act in music history. Nor is it a criticism of an act whom I regard as the greatest female pop star in popular music history. Period. No ifs no buts. Period.

But it is a clear criticism of yourself, and people like you, as your (& others) lack of observation of my post content clearly confirms either a lack of intelligence; or a lack of objectivity.

Sure, just like certain Bowie fans in the late 1980s/early 1990s arguing that his output was as great as it was as during the 1970s; Lennon & McCartney fans from the mid 1970s onwards saying their solo work was as good as their Beatles output; MJ fans in the 2000s saying creatively he was as good as he ever was in the 1980s when working with Quincy Jones; etc they are entitled to their opinion. But rationally it is difficult to make a case to justify that viewpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member

As you have clearly seen from my posts I have posted several examples of great Madonna Live performances across three decades; where she rightly earnt the title of the Queen Of Pop (far more than MJ ever did, IMHO, but that is entirely a different matter). I have praised her back catalogue saying it is second only to the Beatles.

But just like the Elvis Presley in the 1970s, the Rolling Stones & Paul McCartney in the 1980s, ... through to U2 with there last album/tour; all great sport stars; most appliances; etc, there comes a time for fair minded people to realise that a person or an item is not as great as they/it once were. After her first dud album in three decades in the business (Hard Candy); and her last tour (Sticky & Sweat) mixed reviews compared to the rave reviews for her previous (Re-Invention) tour then Madonna's Superbowl performance offered further evidence that she no longer leads the pack as the best female pop star in music today, something she did effortlessly for over two decades.

If you think that Superbowl performance was better than most of what Madonna has done live in the first 25 years of her career, then I strongly think you are wrong.

Compared to her 1985 Live Aid performance; her 2005 Live 8 performance; etc and recent Superbowl half-time turns from Bruce Springsteen (2009); Tom Petty (2008); Prince (2007) then it was substandard from an act who has delivered so much better in the past.

That is certainly not a criticism of the act whom I've bought all her albums since 1984 when I was 13 and bought over a dozen of her singles; who I have seen in concert in the 80s; 90s & 00s. Nor is it a criticism of an act who stayed at the top of chart domination (from 1984-2006) for longer than any other act in music history. Nor is it a criticism of an act whom I regard as the greatest female pop star in popular music history. Period. No ifs no buts. Period.

But it is a clear criticism of yourself, and people like you, as your (& others) lack of observation of my post content clearly confirms either a lack of intelligence; or a lack of objectivity.

Sure, just like certain Bowie fans in the late 1980s/early 1990s arguing that his output was as great as it was as during the 1970s; Lennon & McCartney fans from the mid 1970s onwards saying their solo work was as good as their Beatles output; MJ fans in the 2000s saying creatively he was as good as he ever was in the 1980s when working with Quincy Jones; etc they are entitled to their opinion. But rationally it is difficult to make a case to justify that viewpoint.

You're never going to convince them, they're never going to convince you. Is there any point in arguing. They loved it, we didn't love it quite so much.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adziee wrote: »
    Wanted to know this for a while..did she always stand out from the crowd? Was it after 2000 that she started to get called that, or was it further back? Thanks :)

I remember reading the term queen of Pop in Smash Hits in the 80's. It wasnt too long into her career.

To be fair she was without compare in the 80s, no-one could even touch her. Its diff to today where there are a few v big female stars jostling for No 1 position (Gaga, Riri, Beyonce etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i didnr read any of it ...300 million records - did u read that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told it was because Micheal Jackson was called the King of Pop and so of course there had to be a queen and Madonna was the only suitable choice at the time.

This (well partially) She was just MILES ahead of any of her competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are wrong about MJ.

MJ was first called the King Of Pop by promoter Don King (most famous for Boxing) when he was promoting the imminent The Jacksons 1984 Victory tour. But as he is notorious for his hyperbole that has been historically ignored for Liz Taylor's "the true King of Pop, Rock, and Soul” quote at the 1989 Soul Train awards show. Thereafter, MJ insisted as a prerequisite for appearances at awards shows, video exclusives, etc that he was called that "King Of Pop" label, which was one of the reasons why his original Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad trilogy producer (Quincy Jones), and his 1980s manager (Frank Di Leo) bailed out of his world because they thought the fame was getting to him.

As for Madonna, it was year end 1985, when firstly Billboard labelled her chart domination of the year (mid Nov1984-mid Nov1985) with the "Queen Of Pop" moniker; indeed from 1985 Smash Hits magazine (which was notorious for giving popstars silly, and sometimes ego bashing nicknames) first labelled her "Her Madgesty" in tribute to Dame Edna Everage's Madge, silent, sour-faced "bridesmaid and travelling companion", after a week of their Saturday night ITV chat show when they did a medley of Into The Groove/Like A Virgin/Material Girl in tribute when beau Sean Penn was a guest; in the aftermath of her brilliant Live Aid performance; which resulted in her album Like A Virgin going to top the UK charts; and Into The Groove & Holiday becoming the top two in the singles charts. (A far cry and stark contrast from her poor performance on Sunday night, and her single currently languishing at #24 on UK iTunes).

Yes, Smash Hits (to my knowledge) created the nickname "Madge/Her Madgesty"

Its really stuck, even she know about it (& loathes it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pinkglue wrote: »
    i didnr read any of it ...300 million records - did u read that

You're cutting! it'll keep maninthequeue up all night thinking you didn't read his post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aww, I wanted to carry on arguing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    You're cutting! it'll keep maninthequeue up all night thinking you didn't read his post.

It baffles me how the haters of madonna know more about her than the people who love her ..its hilarious :)

MADONNA loves it so keep it up :)
  • Options
    Jackboy18Jackboy18 Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thereafter, MJ insisted as a prerequisite for appearances at awards shows, video exclusives, etc that he was called that "King Of Pop" label,

No, he did not. Stop making stuff up to try and paint him in a bad light, because it is coming across as pathetic.
    which was one of the reasons why his original Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad trilogy producer (Quincy Jones), and his 1980s manager (Frank Di Leo) bailed out of his world because they thought the fame was getting to him.

Another lie. They did not bail on him. He fired BOTH of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Someone said to me today that the new song is way too commercial and the video looks like Interscope are turning Madonna into their puppet! I think there's an element of truth in it. Seems they're using Madonna to showcase not just her but their other artists as well. I just wonder if Madonna will let them do it again. She's not one to like being controlled.

I really can not get on with the new single. For me what makes it worse is them shouting her name all the way through. I don't like songs where the artists name is repeated through them. It seems the new thing now.

If they got rid of shouting ""LUV Madonna" I would much prefer it.