Options

Best way to make Beefburgers (with egg or without)

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
Hello. Looked at lots of recipes on the net for Beefburgers and most of them add an egg.
Then some say dont add one. Which is best?
Gonna try making my first burger tomorrow!

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I used to put egg, breadcrumbs and fried onion in.

After watching a lot of food shows I now go the basic route.
    Get good quality mince, form it into a burger.
    When cooking as salt/pepper/seasoning spice. (you could add this into the raw mix but I don't bother).
  • Options
    Nuggets69Nuggets69 Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I prefer to buy my own from a shop in a cardboard box. So much less effort and time.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nuggets69 wrote: »
    I prefer to buy my own from a shop in a cardboard box. So much less effort and time.

:D:D:D

I buy them from the butchers. Much tastier than anything I ever managed to make!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And so much more horse meat :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

usually they are all fatty. DOnt know what they put in them..
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Hello. Looked at lots of recipes on the net for Beefburgers and most of them add an egg.
    Then some say dont add one. Which is best?
    Gonna try making my first burger tomorrow!

If you mince your own beef, or buy your mince from the butcher shop you won't need egg to bind it.

Heston Blumenthal did homemade burgers on one of his shows about a year ago, I tried them and they were gorgeous.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/heston-blumenthal/beef-burgers-recipe

Rather than using Sirloin, chuck steak worked just as well.
  • Options
    moty2000moty2000 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I. Just use extra lean mince, a grated onion, salt and pepper, perhaps a bit of thyme. Really mix the mince and onions together with you hands squeezing it between your fingers. Form in to burgers, leave to rest for a couple of hours in the fridge and then grill. Always come out nice for me. An alternative is to use turkey mince where I add half a grated carrot or courgette for moisture with sage. Just as nice too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Have tried a number of different recipes, but agree with degsy, keep it simple. Good quality mince, handle as little as possible (and be really careful not to break it up), shape into patties and you're good to go. If I fancy a change I'll sprinkle a stock cube through the mix.

I think a lot of it's down to personal preference though, and it's so much fun experimenting
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i used to make them without, just squash the mince [plus herbs etc] together and cook in the oven, same with meatballs, always turned out nice and didn`t fall apart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steak mince, salt, pepper, squirt of ketchup, squirt of Dijon. Shape into patties, refrigerate for an hour or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you bind it together. Use some oil maybe? or will a dash of ketchup bind them
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    How do you bind it together. Use some oil maybe? or will a dash of ketchup bind them

I've never needed anything to bind them, just knead plain mince with whatever seasoning you like into a large patty. You only need binding with small meatballs, a nice thick burger doesn't need anything else.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never used egg or anything to "bind" it either. I enjoy making all sorts of different burgers and none of them have ever fallen apart.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Not a bad option, but I like my burgers medium rare and I wouldn't cook a shop bought one like that.
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the yolk but not the egg white. Have made without but used tons or breadcrumbs to bind it all together. Best tip... Drain/squeeze out as much liquid as possible from every ingredient being used to help all to hold together either way.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I used to put egg, breadcrumbs and fried onion in.

After watching a lot of food shows I now go the basic route.
    Get good quality mince, form it into a burger.
    When cooking as salt/pepper/seasoning spice. (you could add this into the raw mix but I don't bother).

^ I use this recipe when I make them for hubby but I do add chilli flakes/cumin/ground coriander too.

If I feel it's not mixing then I might add an egg - I do add cold pre cooked onions tho'.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Steak mince, salt, pepper, squirt of ketchup, squirt of Dijon. Shape into patties, refrigerate for an hour or so.

Same here, they combine together just fine and are nice and crumbly when you break into them. I use different sauces, basically just down to your own preference. I prefer spicy sauces so a hint of Tobasco, and whatever else I fancy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top tip - break off a little piece of the raw mix and microwave it until its just cooked to check if its seasoned ok.