Options

Installing new hp harddrive

KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Harddrive went yesterday. I did not make recovery disks so either need some off hp for /£32 or currys will install everything and give me a copy of disks for /£50. What would be my best option as heard hp sent disks can freeze at times. Anyone used them jus fine its basically just putting in new hd an booting off disk 1 and following instructions. I know currys are a rip off but I have never done this before an do not want to buy hp disks an for it not to work. Thanks folks.

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the disks will be fine. it'll be the same basic image that currys are using.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    Harddrive went yesterday. I did not make recovery disks so either need some off hp for /£32 or currys will install everything and give me a copy of disks for /£50. What would be my best option as heard hp sent disks can freeze at times. Anyone used them jus fine its basically just putting in new hd an booting off disk 1 and following instructions. I know currys are a rip off but I have never done this before an do not want to buy hp disks an for it not to work. Thanks folks.

if you've got zero computer skills then you still have more than what any Currys "technician" will have.

order them from HP and do it yourself.
    they CD/DVD should auto boot and it'll be a few clicks to get it going.
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say "Hard drive went yesterday" do you mean ...

a) Computer will not boot, or
    b) Hard drive is totally broken and cannot be accessed.

If a) then you can fit the old drive into a suitable USB caddy (about £4 off Ebay) and connect it to another computer.

Then the Recovery partition can be cloned from the old disk to the new, using Paragon Backup and Restore Free. Then fit new disk into the computer and re-install Windows to the computer using the HP recovery procedure.

Total cost £4 + cost of new drive.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    If its Windows 7 and you have the CoA sticker on your case you can download clean ISOs from Digital River for the pricey sum of £0.00. Once its installed you can get any missing drivers from the support section of the HP website.

Of course if the HDD is indeed faulty its pointless loading the OS back on until it is replaced.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Hd is completely done. Makes a clicking sound when trying to boot and comp will not recognise it
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the disks will be fine. it'll be the same basic image that currys are using.

The disks from HP install Windows in the state that you received it new, with all included software pre-installed.

Of course most of this software is available to download from the HP website.

I have a set (3) of recovery disks from HP for my G61, although I was sent them free by HP as I wasn't able to create them myself when I bought it.