Options

Social supermarket for people on benefits

rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Britain's first shop stocking only food other supermarkets have thrown out is set to open in a former Yorkshire mining village to help families on the breadline.

Prices at the new so-called "social supermarket" at Goldthorpe in the Dearne Valley are up to 70 per cent off - they're aimed at people on benefits and the shop isn't open to the general public.

Some say it's a depressing sign of the times, but the Government insists it is taking action to help families with the cost of living. The store doesn't officially open until next Monday, but Calendar's David Hirst was today allowed a sneak preview of what shoppers can expect.

It's backers say there are already plans to open another 20 supermarkets around the UK. Membership cards are being issued only to families below a certain income threshold.

I know a lot of people are going to say its not fair but its good for people who struggle to live and feed themselves and saves the landfills.
http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2013-12-02/report-britains-cheapest-supermarket-to-open-in-south-yorkshire/

http://www.community-shop.co.uk/

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical that they wheel out that vile harridan Katie Hopkins to shit on the idea.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea as it'll certainly help out families on low incomes.
  • Options
    DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I'm expecting MP's to be shopping at these places also? seeing WE pay for their second mortgage's, duck ponds, TVs, and first class travel.
  • Options
    rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical that they wheel out that vile harridan Katie Hopkins to shit on the idea.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea as it'll certainly help out families on low incomes.

I didn't watch her video on it cos I cant stand her lol, updated the link to just show the main video of it ...:D
  • Options
    phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get quite adequate benefits I don't need to shop at such places. Thank you!
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now poor people are expected to consume food deemed not good enough to sell by the bigger supermarkets?

When did we return to the middle ages where the poor have to live off scraps?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a local shop, for local people.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the idea that it's ONLY for people who're on benefits.

Seems rather unfair that somebody who's earning £10k per year in a minimum wage job has to buy stuff at full price whereas a person who's receiving £10k per year in benefits can then buy food at a lower price and, as a result, end up with a higher standard of living than a person who's earning the same amount.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't look like her on the till was wanting for much food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Didn't look like her on the till was wanting for much food.

She works there though, as a volunteer.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Sounds like a local shop, for local people.
    ^This!
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Why open up one of these when there is an Aldi's in most town centres these days? they are cheap and everything is within date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You cannot just turn up armed with your benefit book, you have be referred, apply for membership and then be accepted.

The food would have just gone to landfill, so in that respect it's a very good idea.

But it isn't much different to what some other places do. There's a large farm shop a few miles away from here that buys supermarket end of line stock and stock near it's sell by dates, and then sells it on at discount prices to anyone that turns up, benefits or not.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Why open up one of these when there is an Aldi's in most town centres these days? they are cheap and everything is within date.
    My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This f**king government make me want to upchuck!

As if they haven't demonised the disadvantaged enough, they now have 'Poor People's Supermarkets' for them to shop in and mark my words - it will be with Vouchers that they get from the DSS next.

Bastards.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it sell ciggs and booze though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll mean the end of Freeganism, and that's bad in my book
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking that The Company Shop owns these Community Shops/Supermarkets? The Company Shop offers up to 90% discount to its members but will only be offering discount of up to 70% in the Community Supermarkets. I'm trying to find out who owns The Company Shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »

Because whoever owns these will be making a huge profit. Similar to the huge profit that's made from the Food Bank brand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will it sell ciggs and booze though?

No, that was made clear in the Calender News piece I watched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    karijn wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that The Company Shop owns these Community Shops/Supermarkets? The Company Shop offers up to 90% discount to its members but will only be offering discount of up to 70% in the Community Supermarkets. I'm trying to find out who owns The Company Shop.

I am sure (but happy to be corrected) that this is a charity running this store, staffed by volunteers mainly, and not connected to any commercial organisation.

That's the impression I got from watching it on Calender news the other day anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    karijn wrote: »
    Because whoever owns these will be making a huge profit. Similar to the huge profit that's made from the Food Bank brand.

The Trussell Trust is a registered Christian charity.

Proof of your claims it makes huge profits?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually the shop in the OP is a Social Enterpise not a charity.

Social Enterprises are governed by strict rules on how they operate, including what they are allowed to do with profits. profits have to be reinvested in their social mission, which in this case according to their website is to not just run the shop but also provide advice on budgeting, CV writing and similar.
    http://www.socialenterprise.org.uk/about/about-social-enterprise/faqs

And it isn't connected to The Company Shop, which is a different organisation entirely.

The Goldthorpe shop referred to is their first shop, although they plan to open more it seems.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    we`ve had this, or something very similar, here for a few years. the range a bit pot luck and you have to have a referral but it helps many out of a sticky patch.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Not sure about the idea that it's ONLY for people who're on benefits.

Seems rather unfair that somebody who's earning £10k per year in a minimum wage job has to buy stuff at full price whereas a person who's receiving £10k per year in benefits can then buy food at a lower price and, as a result, end up with a higher standard of living than a person who's earning the same amount.

someone on minimum wage would surely be likely to be collecting housing and council tax benefit? lots of working people are getting benefits.

edit:
    who is it for?
    Community Shop is for anyone living locally [see PDF map] and who is in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Income Support
    Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Council Tax Benefit
    Pension Credit
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Ah well, back to the 30's.