bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Back Monday and in a new timeslot, 7PM.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back Monday and in a new timeslot, 7PM.

I didn't vknow it was back until seeing this!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I only just noticed the other day whilst checking the "upcoming recordings" on my Tivo :D

Anyone else think that the PC has absolutely not "gone the way of the Dodo"? I mean, seriously? Yeah, tablets are good for a portable device but there's no way I could manage without my PC.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. I only just noticed the other day whilst checking the "upcoming recordings" on my Tivo :D

Anyone else think that the PC has absolutely not "gone the way of the Dodo"? I mean, seriously? Yeah, tablets are good for a portable device but there's no way I could manage without my PC.

I agree! But it’s good to have the programme back, it’s enjoyable light viewing.

I wonder why the 7pm timeslot though, the ratings were always alright at 8pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The show failed to hit the top 30 for much of its run last series which has resulted in the move to &PM i would imagine. I personally think 9PM would have been better where you are likely to attract a new audience.

Will be interesting to watch tonights show, by PC going the way of the dodo i think they mean desktops but even then i would disagree.
  • Options
    barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh really desktop PCs dead?

Their evidence: a £2000 laptop with all features.

When £1000 wud get you a similar excellent desktop
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to watching this later. they only really need to do another feature or test in place of polly's segment to keep the balance of the show - or they could simply make the build section slightly longer i suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cameras in show 1, now how long before the bikes get an airing?

For a show that claims that desktop computers are dead, they really need to spend less time on cameras, as smartphones close in the dedicated cameras days are numbered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was an awful review of handheld gaming consoles. The Shield is not £300 can be found for a lot less, further to that where was the market leader? Nintendo? Also getting 2 chavs that could hardly contain their bias to review them, please get somebody that can put a sentence together.

I would have rather seen Rachel and Ortis do the review
  • Options
    shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to cut down the length of time they spend on the competition - announcing every single prize takes far too long.
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought the desktop dead feature was not thought out well, a 1TB storage solution for £900+ yeah right
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Ortis back, perhaps they will bring back the outside tests of evolving portable devices, with the element of competition adding an element of excitement.
  • Options
    super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The desktop will be dead in 2014'

What a pile of sh*te!!!

I switched over after this laughable feature!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought the desktop dead feature was not thought out well, a 1TB storage solution for £900+ yeah right

It's true ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-DataTraveler-Predator-1TB-DTHXP30/dp/B00E65QM8O

Jason didn't appear keen on the 'death of the desktop' idea on twitter either, but i suppose he's paid to present so ..
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The desktop will be dead in 2014'

What a pile of sh*te!!!

I switched over after this laughable feature!

I have a desktop at home but was thinking that the last corporate I worked at for 6 years until last year, the number of desktops bought was tiny compared to the 100,000 staff, if corporates aren't buying desktops, then the home market won't sustain the manufacturers
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    barclay55 wrote: »
    Oh really desktop PCs dead?

Their evidence: a £2000 laptop with all features.

When £1000 wud get you a similar excellent desktop
    Yes. And you can't use a desktop on the train. Who'd-a-thunkit?! :( Not impressed at all with this feature.
    Cameras in show 1, now how long before the bikes get an airing?
    But it was specifically about retro-looking ones; so a slightly different angle.
    Yeah. I thought that too.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was a silly report.
    I still use a desktop as its best for gaming and video editing.
    for £2000 you could get both a very decent laptop & PC.
    I don't think many would pay £2000 for a laptop.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was a silly report.
    I still use a desktop as its best for gaming and video editing.
    for £2000 you could get both a very decent laptop & PC.
    I don't think many would pay £2000 for a laptop.

Yes but where are the volume sales going to come from? 12 years ago people would leave their desktops and go to meetings, laptops where for those who really needed them, now everyone takes their laptop to meetings, no desktop to leave behind.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gadget Show weren't wrong about PC sales slumping. Sony will no longer make Vaio computers and are focusing on tablets and smartphones. They're selling off their PC business and laying off 5000 staff.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The Gadget Show weren't wrong about PC sales slumping. Sony will no longer make Vaio computers and are focusing on tablets and smartphones. They're selling off their PC business and laying off 5000 staff.

PC Sales are slumping because of Windows 8.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, the desktop is dying, & Jon Reviews cameras, get away.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It's hard to gauge PC sells nowadays, I would suspect many PC's are "user built" or bought from smaller independent retailers who build to order. So these sales won't figure, only branded PC's. I have an iMac now, but it was nearly 20 years ago that I bought my last branded PC, I had about 5 PC's built for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, I liked it. Polly who ? ;)
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not convinced touch screen tablets will b any good at manipulating artwork details in adobe illustrator, corel draw, photoshop. the number of keyboard shortcuts and menu options is stagering, many used in conjunction with the mouse. no idea how this translates to a touch tablet.
    even trusty ms word, a pop up touch keypad will cover half of your screen that your trying to view.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't even realise it was back on.