Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doc Martin Lovers blog has an interesting piece just posted "The Rational v. The Emotional". First, she discusses the Ellingham sisters: Joan and Ruth. Then, further on she discusses Martin Ellingham. The writer of this blog has had some very interesting subjects regarding the DM show, and I urge anyone who hasn't discovered it, to read some of her past articles. (They are listed on the right hand side.) The writer of this blog has a Ph.D in Comparative Literature with a special interest in literature and medicine (in particular, psychology). She is married to a physician and a great diagnostician who at one time practiced in a small town a little larger than PW but was the only physician in town, so she comes with first hand knowledge on many of the articles she has written.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    No I wasn't saying that either (god forbid!!) What Im saying is that DM is his big success and he's had a lot of 'lean' times in between - so maybe he doesn't have the choices people think he has?? Again .. Downton Abbey - he was up for it - but they didn't burst a gut to get him!! Maybe you're right, in that the success of DM has somewhat limited his appeal to the powers that be but at the end of the day, its his job and he's got to earn a crust. He still does a lot of voice overs in UK ads - I often wonder why? ( isn't his voice peachy - I was almost going to change my insurance lol ) I don't doubt he will deliver in whatever he does, cos I believe he could turn his hand to most things but at the end of the day it's just his job and he has all those horses to feed :p x

On the couple counselling theme for S7, I really don't see it being big (ongoing)throughout the next series - I think they will touch on it and move on?? Am I way off mark?? What do you all think? :p x

I agree, I think they will cover it pretty well in one episode and maybe refer to it in one or two other episodes. It's not going to be a weekly slog to the therapist's office.

Also, I agree with you that Doc Martin will be his legacy. I think he could take the character to another show. I hope he never feels the need to give up the character.

Agree also that had he would have accepted a part had he been offered one in the Hobbit or Harry Potter movies.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I agree, I think they will cover it pretty well in one episode and maybe refer to it in one or two other episodes. It's not going to be a weekly slog to the therapist's office.

Also, I agree with you that Doc Martin will be his legacy. I think he could take the character to another show. I hope he never feels the need to give up the character.

Agree also that had he would have accepted a part had he been offered one in the Hobbit or Harry Potter movies.

Oh, Oliver, taking the Doc Martin character onto or into another series set smacks of taking the easy way out or prostitution of the character. I tend to believe that Philippa and MC and producers realize that they have to have the series go out with a proper conclusion and with a bang. End of Doc Martin. MC will move on in whatever seems right and hopefully will find success. As to the movie roles, I still tend to think that they didn't mesh with other prescheduled projects or required more travel and time than MC was willing to make.

I think with Emily headed into higher education things will change for him. Being at home for bath time is not as important when your daughter is 16. It will be great to see what he'll get up to.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Marchand. Thank you for the reference. An excellent intelligent analysis by the blogger

DCDMFan. Any speculation on how The Doc Martin character could evolve? I am stuck with his diagnostic skills being used in solving mysteries but I hope the talented writers have better ideas to grow the character. What a legacy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Susie. In MC's decision making, there may be a strong correlation between money earned and time expended.

RubyRedi. Could part of MC's legacy be as a successor to Sir David Attenborough with his animal and nature documentaries? MC's more lucrative projects could allow the documentaries as well as the farm. With the Princes Charles, William and Harry's involvement in animal causes, it might also gain his knighthood

BINGO. Knighthood. That's been my theory all along. I'm not British but I do read stories about the Queen and her love for her horses and dogs. The charity work he does, the documentaries, having 'sowed his wild oats' and becoming respectable (sans speeding tickets) and a 'celebrity ambassador' (my phrase) to England. Look how many fans he has won over in the US, not to mention all the other countries that runs episodes of Doc Martin and MC documentaries. Heck I've never wanted to visit England but after having become a fan of the show I'm ready to spend my money and come visit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any speculation as to how the Doc Martin character could evolve? - - -From S1 on he has not changed from being the only doctor in PW. Louisa has changed from being a teacher to being Head Mistress. If the blood phobia is indeed back for awhile, what about him teaching pre-med students at a teaching hospital even if it means he needs to spend an overnighter there? He needs to get out of the surgery periodically and quite frankly, needs the stimulation of medical colleagues. Also, I noticed in S6 he has gained confidence in Morwenna's abilities which are beyond being his receptionist, for example, performing CPR under duress. I am wondering if DM will see her potential to assist him in other ways in his practice.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu4doc wrote: »
    BINGO. Knighthood. That's been my theory all along. I'm not British but I do read stories about the Queen and her love for her horses and dogs. The charity work he does, the documentaries, having 'sowed his wild oats' and becoming respectable (sans speeding tickets) and a 'celebrity ambassador' (my phrase) to England. Look how many fans he has won over in the US, not to mention all the other countries that runs episodes of Doc Martin and MC documentaries. Heck I've never wanted to visit England but after having become a fan of the show I'm ready to spend my money and come visit.

He is already being nominated at least twice for the Queen's honors by a fan. Perhaps his time will come, who knows. I'm wondering if it would matter to him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    He is already being nominated at least twice for the Queen's honors by a fan. Perhaps his time will come, who knows. I'm wondering if it would matter to him?

Considering his personality, I think he would accept it honorably if he were to receive it, but it might not really matter to him one way or the other. He seems to live life on his own terms and knighthood isn't necessarily an end goal of his like it is with other well-known Brits or by Brits and others who might want to see him in that position someday.
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I noticed in S6 he has gained confidence in Morwenna's abilities which are beyond being his receptionist, for example, performing CPR under duress. I am wondering if DM will see her potential to assist him in other ways in his practice.

He did send Pauline to phlebotomy certification back in S3. Morwenna seems to be a lot more ambitious (and brighter) than Pauline. I see her having a professional future of some kind. She doesn't seem to be the type who wants to settle down and have babies right away but would one day. Pauline seemed more street-smart and tough, but someone who would probably have been happy marrying Al and settling down to be a mom--even though she did have dreams of her own. It just didn't seem as genuine.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Any speculation as to how the Doc Martin character could evolve? - - -From S1 on he has not changed from being the only doctor in PW. Louisa has changed from being a teacher to being Head Mistress. If the blood phobia is indeed back for awhile, what about him teaching pre-med students at a teaching hospital even if it means he needs to spend an overnighter there? He needs to get out of the surgery periodically and quite frankly, needs the stimulation of medical colleagues. Also, I noticed in S6 he has gained confidence in Morwenna's abilities which are beyond being his receptionist, for example, performing CPR under duress. I am wondering if DM will see her potential to assist him in other ways in his practice.

My husband is an intellectual property lawyer and there is a consulting practice within the firm. Several of the consultants are MDs who advise clients on medical-related patents and intellectual property. Maybe Martin could do something like this. He has the precise mind of an engineer and likes to tinker with clocks at least. I could see him getting very involved in this type of field.

Morwenna is bright and I would like to see an expanded role for her as well. I am just not sure what it would be as further medical training would remove her from Portwenn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Considering his personality, I think he would accept it honorably if he were to receive it, but it might not really matter to him one way or the other. He seems to live life on his own terms and knighthood isn't necessarily an end goal of his like it is with other well-known Brits or by Brits and others who might want to see him in that position someday.

Lizzie, I agree with your statement. With everything I've read and heard about and from MC, "living life on his own terms" seems very descriptive of his confidence and approach to life.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doc Martin Lovers blog has an interesting piece just posted "The Rational v. The Emotional". First, she discusses the Ellingham sisters: Joan and Ruth. Then, further on she discusses Martin Ellingham. The writer of this blog has had some very interesting subjects regarding the DM show, and I urge anyone who hasn't discovered it, to read some of her past articles. (They are listed on the right hand side.) The writer of this blog has a Ph.D in Comparative Literature with a special interest in literature and medicine (in particular, psychology). She is married to a physician and a great diagnostician who at one time practiced in a small town a little larger than PW but was the only physician in town, so she comes with first hand knowledge on many of the articles she has written.

Do you have a URL you could give us for this site? Thank you if you do!

Mona
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Do you have a URL you could give us for this site? Thank you if you do!

Mona

http://docmartinlovers.com
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Oh, Oliver, taking the Doc Martin character onto or into another series set smacks of taking the easy way out or prostitution of the character. I tend to believe that Philippa and MC and producers realize that they have to have the series go out with a proper conclusion and with a bang. End of Doc Martin. MC will move on in whatever seems right and hopefully will find success. As to the movie roles, I still tend to think that they didn't mesh with other prescheduled projects or required more travel and time than MC was willing to make.

I think with Emily headed into higher education things will change for him. Being at home for bath time is not as important when your daughter is 16. It will be great to see what he'll get up to.

Mofromco - although I agree with you that they will wrap things up if this is the last series (or the next), I could see them putting it on the shelf and maybe getting together whoever is available (only CC would be an absolute requirement) and doing a two-part movie after about five years - and maybe do this every few years. It could kind of bookend the original movies and update us how the Ellingham family is doing and how JH is growing up. I think that would be awfully fun.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »

I would not mind at all if they carried the character into another series. I love the way he plays Doc Martin. They could change the character a bit, change his circumstances, have his son as a young man. He could be retired, he and his son solve medical mysteries or something.

At some point MC mentioned he didn't want to do something like that, but now they both often say never say never. The character could soften a bit. Louisa could be in the picture although I think he should be a widower that way there could be some almost love interests or something.

Not shot in Cornwall but maybe not London. Leeds or Norwich, Birmingham or Portsmouth. There aren't that many contemporary shows shot in London probably because it's not practical. He could consult his old tutors.

I don't know, there are lots of possibilities. I would watch it and probably other people would, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My post above was not what I really had in mind as to teaching - DM's knowledge is way beyond teaching pre-med students. He needs to either teach or consult potential surgeons, or Bloodphobia, your idea and actual knowledge sounds as if it could be applied to this series.
    As to Morwenna, in S6 they have had her in several scenes with ME as to exchanging "looks" with no dialogue, the viewer knows what is meant, no script needed, which works better for all of us as we each interpret in slightly different ways. She is cool-headed, gets along with the doc, does not spread around the troubles DM and LE are having, and is not a back biter.
    As to S7, MC has mentioned there will be couples counseling and other times he has said with each series they move the relationship a bit (forward?). Hopefully, their relationship will strengthen, however, the therapist will have his/her work cut out for this marriage.
    Has anyone on this forum had trouble getting into this site the last two days or so? I got a blank page as if my computer was frozen. I had to go in the back door so to speak (the door to the doc's kitchen!!:):) to see if anyone posted. Seems okay now.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episodes thrown out of the surgery:

S3E4 The Admirer
    S6E3 The Tameness of a Wolf

New survey this week:

S1E4 The Portwenn Effect vs S4E3 Perish Together as Fools

S5E6 Don't Let Go vs S6E1 Sickness and Health

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for one or both eliminated episodes): http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My post above was not what I really had in mind as to teaching - DM's knowledge is way beyond teaching pre-med students. He needs to either teach or consult potential surgeons, or Bloodphobia, your idea and actual knowledge sounds as if it could be applied to this series.
    As to Morwenna, in S6 they have had her in several scenes with ME as to exchanging "looks" with no dialogue, the viewer knows what is meant, no script needed, which works better for all of us as we each interpret in slightly different ways. She is cool-headed, gets along with the doc, does not spread around the troubles DM and LE are having, and is not a back biter.
    As to S7, MC has mentioned there will be couples counseling and other times he has said with each series they move the relationship a bit (forward?). Hopefully, their relationship will strengthen, however, the therapist will have his/her work cut out for this marriage.
    Has anyone on this forum had trouble getting into this site the last two days or so? I got a blank page as if my computer was frozen. I had to go in the back door so to speak (the door to the doc's kitchen!!:):) to see if anyone posted. Seems okay now.

No problems with the site on my end. Check it daily. :)
    Forum Member
    No problems with the site on my end. Check it daily. :)

Mine froze a couple of times last week which I thought was odd. The header would come up but the rest of the page would not load. Seems to be working fine now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Mine froze a couple of times last week which I thought was odd. The header would come up but the rest of the page would not load. Seems to be working fine now though.

I was locked out the last two days--could get it but only, like stated above, the headline loaded. Glad to hear it was not my computer but a site problem. All seems well now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Susie. In MC's decision making, there may be a strong correlation between money earned and time expended.

RubyRedi. Could part of MC's legacy be as a successor to Sir David Attenborough with his animal and nature documentaries? MC's more lucrative projects could allow the documentaries as well as the farm. With the Princes Charles, William and Harry's involvement in animal causes, it might also gain his knighthood

Maybe, although Im not sure how well his documentaries do (ratings etc) within the UK. I think that he is much better known/respected as a very good TV actor. I would imagine if you asked Brits what he was best known for the answer would be MBB and Doc M (and probably in that order - MBB is played almost on loop on the cable channels).

Don't think the Royals have much of a real say in who gets what (maybe the queen?) but I dont think he will get a knighthood but will get some kind of honour eventually, OBE or MBE most probably. In saying that, you never know, other people seem to get these honours for doing not much and he does do a lot of charity stuff. I would imagine being president of the BHA will probably nail it for him one of these years ;-) :) x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Re MC and movie roles: he did have a supporting part in "Shakespeare in Love (1998)," which I am sure most of us remember. In a talk show interview 2 years later, he spoke of being offered a major film role but turning it down because the final day of filming fell on his and PB's anniversary. I have wondered ever since whether TPTB in the film industry heard that and decided not to bother with him any more. I will post the link if I can find it again.

Agree with you, Mofromco, about the Elvish lord part!

I thought it was a 'bit' part rather than a major film role he was offered?? :) x
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    I thought it was a 'bit' part rather than a major film role he was offered?? :) x

He had read for a part in "Lara Croft...Tomb Raider"...........probably not an oscar generating part.....I think it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years, since unless I'm really mistaken, don't you think he's come into more recognition with the "powers that Be." Maybe he just doesn't want to do other types of films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you go in and look at imdb.com and see his work history, he's been pretty busy almost since he started. Consider that imdb does not list theatre parts, or radio parts, or advertising spots or voice-overs, or private company things he's done. And then you have to think about the prep that goes with all those things, like when he directed, too, or the travel to make certain ones. I am amazed at the charity work besides having a home life, and a production company with his wife.

He seems busy enough to me, whether making his own thing or working for others.
This discussion has been closed.