BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a thought for you. When an event like this week with the Open, 5 Live airs sport from 9am through til 10pm, with the evening being a mix of previews and reviews, why don't they have news on instead of the 5 Live Sport from 7./7.30?
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Inverdale for 10 hours a day at his imperious best..
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Here's a thought for you. When an event like this week with the Open, 5 Live airs sport from 9am through til 10pm, with the evening being a mix of previews and reviews, why don't they have news on instead of the 5 Live Sport from 7./7.30?

not a bad idea at all. I suspect that 5Live think though that the listeners are stupid and wouldn't realise news coverage had been moved to the evening. I think that an 'weekend news' style show between 8 and 10 or something like that on the Thursday and Friday of the open is a good idea and might go a little way to appeasing people who feel 5Live isn't focusing enough on news. It is far too sensible an idea though so won't happen!
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Inverdale for 10 hours a day at his imperious best..

Here here a supremely professional broadcaster who has been at the top of the tree for many years because he understands sport and those who follow it.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Here here a supremely professional broadcaster who has been at the top of the tree for many years because he understands sport and those who follow it.

Perhaps he should work for a sports station then. Oh hang on, he is doing.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last in play handover between Alan Green & Mike Ingham has just taken place. Very nice words between the two of them. Bit of broadcasting history I suppose.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    The last in play handover between Alan Green & Mike Ingham has just taken place. Very nice words between the two of them. Bit of broadcasting history I suppose.

link ? :confused:
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    link ? :confused:

Why confused? The game won't even be on iPlayer yet
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irony at its absolute peak.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this question has allready been answered but does anyone happen to know what time slot Sara Bretts new sunday night show is on from october? Is she replacing Stephen Nolan on sunday nights? if so that would be a shame
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this question has allready been answered but does anyone happen to know what time slot Sara Bretts new sunday night show is on from october? Is she replacing Stephen Nolan on sunday nights? if so that would be a shame

Afternoon Edition, between 1pm and 4pm from Mondays to Thursdays, with Sarah Brett and Dan Walker

Journalist and former LBC presenter Emma Barnett is to present a new Sunday night show on Radio 5 Live, not sure what time though.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am listening to Victoria, calm and controlled after the shambles of a phone in with Nicky. I am shocked and sad about Briony McRoberts.. wonderful actress is anyone listening?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am listening to Victoria, calm and controlled after the shambles of a phone in with Nicky. I am shocked and sad about Briony McRoberts.. wonderful actress is anyone listening?

Right. Ok. Em. I see. Ok. Thanks. Wonderful broadcasting - not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. Ok. Em. I see. Ok. Thanks. Wonderful broadcasting - not.

Oops and the daily... "We appear to be having technical issues". I must find out what number the News Channel is on Sky so as to miss it come October.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member

She for-fitted her right to have me as a listener several years ago because of her sensationalist reporting of minority issues to her own agenda. Hence I cannot and will not listen to her. ABD Anyone But Derbyshire. Sounds like thinks have not changed - thank heavens for Colin Murray!
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I heard it, interesting listen but I have also heard many a story of female American actors who took their own life when the work dried up because of their age and wonder if that could have played a part in her sad suicide and not just her anorexia. The subject matter was about anorexia effecting middle aged women and not just teenagers and was not miserable because the husband told the story and VD was quite professional for once.,,,,,,
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

Let me offer my best wishes to Mike Ingham in his retirement from football commentaries.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I heard it, interesting listen but I have also heard many a story of female American actors who took their own life when the work dried up because of their age and wonder if that could have played a part in her sad suicide and not just her anorexia. The subject matter was about anorexia effecting middle aged women and not just teenagers and was not miserable because the husband told the story and VD was quite professional for once.,,,,,,
    I am replying to your post and thank you for acknowledging the subject rather than the broadcaster. I saw a play around about two years ago and Briony McRoberts was starring in it. She was not the main player but the older woman.. I recall she had broken her arm and had a cast on. I thought about when she was in Take the High Road and played Sam Hagen and that was one of the main roles and she was brilliant, beautiful and talented. Yes when you are a woman in the Arts/entertainment industry it must be cruel as you get older, rejection and not needed for main roles. Victoria is a good interviewer, no matter what you may think, Nicky campbell should sit at her feet and learn from the master.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am replying to your post and thank you for acknowledging the subject rather than the broadcaster. I saw a play around about two years ago and Briony McRoberts was starring in it. She was not the main player but the older woman.. I recall she had broken her arm and had a cast on. I thought about when she was in Take the High Road and played Sam Hagen and that was one of the main roles and she was brilliant, beautiful and talented. Yes when you are a woman in the Arts/entertainment industry it must be cruel as you get older, rejection and not needed for main roles. Victoria is a good interviewer, no matter what you may think, Nicky campbell should sit at her feet and learn from the master.

Play it back. Dont be swayed by the emotive subject matter and in my opinion you'll be perhaps disappointed by the quality of the interviewer. Fi Glover Jane Garvey or Mr Bragg would be far better.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Play it back. Dont be swayed by the emotive subject matter and in my opinion you'll be perhaps disappointed by the quality of the interviewer. Fi Glover Jane Garvey or Mr Bragg would be far better.

or, perhaps, you could play it back, and, if you can forget who the interviewer is, you might be surprised... I know it won't happen as this wouldn't suit your agenda. whether you like it or not, some people like VD's show. Its a shame people can't praise something about 5Live without some of the regulars patronising them and slagging off the same old presenters...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or, perhaps, you could play it back, and, if you can forget who the interviewer is, you might be surprised... I know it won't happen as this wouldn't suit your agenda. whether you like it or not, some people like VD's show. Its a shame people can't praise something about 5Live without some of the regulars patronising them and slagging off the same old presenters...

I replayed this 20 minute heartfelt feature. The four guests were extremely interesting, eloquent and articulate.

I must apologise. On the initial hearing I thought there were many "ems". In fact from
    the playback there were only 16.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hear Hear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Campbell's being allowed yet again to demonstrate that he knows nothing about golf.
  • losimagiclosimagic Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    If I hear one more time that "Formula 1 has gone back to the drawing board", I might scream.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    losimagic wrote: »
    If I hear one more time that "Formula 1 has gone back to the drawing board", I might scream.

Hear Hear
This discussion has been closed.