Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell me did the football interrupt the athletics or did the athletics interrupt the football.:confused:
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Alexander Gordon has passed away aged 78. RIP
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP James Alexander Gordon............one of the most recognizable voices on radio

No match commentary on R5 ?............have they lost the rights to the Monday night games ?

Anyone know how the radio packages for the Premier League pan out for this season ?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same as last season

Radio 5 have commentary tonight
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    No match commentary on R5 ?............have they lost the rights to the Monday night games ?

Oops.........my radio was tuned to Talksport.......I thought it was on 5Lve......:o:p
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Plenty of football discussion on TalkSport throughout the week.

The best female commentator the BBC has is commentating. England are in the final. It's a close and exciting match. Enjoy.

Sara Orchard I believe and yes I thought she was very good too. Alison Mitchell too is now an exceptionally good commentator as well.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Too much football people say. Not enough minority sports covered people say ;)

no complaints here - the more variety than just talking about football the better....

and I never tire of watching womens rugby anyway.. ;-):blush:;-)
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard a "piss" on Five Live this afternoon.

Now, this doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, I laughed, but I wonder if anyone complained?
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard a "piss" on Five Live this afternoon.
    The word 'piss' or somebody having an actual piss? :confused::D
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »

The word :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Todays breakfast show topic of interest......... 'Going up to Big School' text/email in with your memories. FFS.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Todays breakfast show topic of interest......... 'Going up to Big School' text/email in with your memories. FFS.

Producers probably just left school themselves.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I switched on 5 Live at about 7.40 this morning and heard someone waffling on about school for 5 minutes before I switched the radio off again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently 'Big School' was the phone in topic......... I despair.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bank Holiday Monday

Steve Allen is on until 7am followed by Andrew Pearce for breakfast, then John Stapleton, Julia and Ian Payne on drive.
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Bank Holiday Monday

Steve Allen is on until 7am followed by Andrew Pearce for breakfast, then John Stapleton, Julia and Ian Payne on drive.
    Oh Occy, you have messed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Occy, you have messed up.

Perhaps he didn't....
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,075
    Forum Member
    To give 5live some credit they are covering the Rugby League Challenge Cup final live as opposed to the Premier league football on Saturday afternoon.

Do they usually do that?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    To give 5live some credit they are covering the Rugby League Challenge Cup final live as opposed to the Premier league football on Saturday afternoon.

Do they usually do that?

It's a bit of a contentious one, this, but in fairness to Radio 5 Live they have become a lot better at covering rugby league's two main showpiece finals (the Challenge Cup Final and Super League Grand Final) on their main station rather than Radio 5 Live Sports Extra over the past five years than they had been for much of the previous decade.

Back in the days when Radio 5 Live had national radio exclusivity over Premier League football commentaries (up until 2007/08, although it was only from 2010/11 onwards that they found themselves in a position where there were timeslots when they couldn't cover matches), they would often broadcast football - commentary or discussion - at the detriment of almost anything else. So you'd have Saturdays when they'd be broadcasting commentary on routine early seasons Premier League games at the expense of these two rugby league finals, with this repeated for games from the Six Nations and other things like that which 5 Live have rights to cover but would put on 5LSE. I remember listening one year, 2008 I think, when the Super League Grand Final was boiling up to being a cracker with tries at either end, yet 5 Live were sticking rigidly to a dull, one-sided PL match where Manchester United were coasting against Middlesbrough.

To 5 Live's credit, while I'd often criticise them for their editorial calls when it came to live sports coverage (and still do on many occasions - but at the same time I heartily welcome them prioritising things like commentary on the Women's Rugby World Cup Final ahead of another edition of 606), since losing rights to the Saturday 5.30pm Premier League games they have generally done an awful lot better in broadcasting live sport other than football on Saturday afternoons (although I think there have still been a few occasions when 606 has been prioritised over things like the Super League GF). By and large, they do seem to have taken the BBC Trust recommendations presented to them on board and are more willing to accommodate showpiece events from other sports ahead of live football - although I appreciate there is a balance to be struck and I don't think 5 Live should downgrade football commentary at every opportunity. Good to see they are doing commentary on the Challenge Cup Final on 5 Live this weekend, I'm happy to see they have made the right call here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not listened for sometime. Apologies it may be a relatively long term arrangement however tonight Phil had Tommy Walsh of the old Groundforce programme. More of this advice/help style content please. It has fed Clive Bull of Lbc for decades.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

I suspect that will upset more people than it pleases but it is certainly an interesting decision.
  • Options
    jim_lyonsjim_lyons Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuned into VD this morning after an extended absence - first thing i heard was a woman sobbing, then Victoria oozing in a depressing tone.

Turned back to Talksport immediately.

Glad to see some things never change :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_lyons wrote: »
    Tuned into VD this morning after an extended absence - first thing i heard was a woman sobbing, then Victoria oozing in a depressing tone.

Turned back to Talksport immediately.

Glad to see some things never change :)

Thankfully not long to Sans Misery Five.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I suspect that will upset more people than it pleases but it is certainly an interesting decision.

They used to do that every year so people who have listened to th station will be used to it.
This discussion has been closed.