Family Guy UK Broadcast Rights

Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
Forum Member
Does anyone know

Who has the UK Broadcast rights to Family Guy? All seasons?

Sick of BBC never showing them in any coherent order.

Also never do we get season and episode info on them although this isn't just BBC its ALL channels that perform badly at this.

Thanks

Dan.

Comments

• pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC 3 get first dib's on the new series. FX do eventually get them. both broadcast mix of eps.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best things on TV.
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3e in ireland shows the episodes uncut while in the uk its the edited versions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC Family Guy page gives you a good idea what episodes they are showing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mh4j/broadcasts/upcoming

FX are showing season 9 every Thursday(but they call it Season 10 for some strange reason). These are premieres for them although BBC3 have shown them before.

EpGuides lists all the FG eps.
    http://epguides.com/FamilyGuy/
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly can't see the BBC keeping the rights when they come up for renewal.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I don't understand what it is that makes 3e have the uncut, yet BBC Three, only has bleeped and edited versions...
    Id expect the BBC to retain the rights, it does well for them and frankly, no other broadcaster will show it in the amount BBC Three does.
    How many times have you seen The Cleveland Show re-run on E4, in the same guise that BBC Three does with Family Guy?
    Just be nice for unedited & unbleeped on BBC Three, but won't happen
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly can't see the BBC keeping the rights when they come up for renewal.

I don't think anyone but Zai Bennett knows what he'll do when FG comes up for renewal, although in this DQF era, he'll want the rights costs to come down.

On the other hand, FG has been a constant success in BBC Three's ratings and draws viewers to it's UK content.

If the Beeb can't afford it, I can see Channel 4 bidding for it and scheduling FG in the 11pm slot nightly on E4. It's a guaranteed ratings banker for a FTA channel targeting young adults.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC didn't get the rights, I could easily see Family Guy and American Dad! going to E4 to sit alongside Cleveland and be a nightly ratings winner for E4.

It is a shame that BBC THREE show the edited episodes and other channels can show them uncut like on the DVD's. I've never watched Family Guy on 3e. Must check it out. I wonder if they show American Dad! uncut too, although it relies far less on swearing to get a laugh.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And hopefully Channel 4 would show in HD again. I wonder if Sky might get them given they are owned by the same people? Could be a late night comedy Friday slot?

PJ
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Season 9?! First few seasons were superb before it got cancelled - everything I've seen since feels like the dead horse being well and truly flogged.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    And hopefully Channel 4 would show in HD again. I wonder if Sky might get them given they are owned by the same people? Could be a late night comedy Friday slot?

PJ

I'd like 2 see it arrive on Sky One/Atlantic
    showing them all daily (between 10pm-1am) in order
    with proper info (season episode etc...)
    in correct aspect ratio.

Wonder if they will ever go back and remaster earlier episodes to make them look better even do some of the voices again?
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I wouldn't. You'd get added adverts and it is already shown in the correct aspect ratio.

I wonder if merchandise sales may be a reason it stays free to air.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,321
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    showing them all daily (between 10pm-1am) in order
    with proper info (season episode etc...)
    in correct aspect ratio.
    BBC Three and FX already do that.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    they do show two episodes every day. i don't see how anyone could do any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see E4 wanting to show repeats of older Family Guy/American Dad episodes each night though to be honest.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    I can't see E4 wanting to show repeats of older Family Guy/American Dad episodes each night though to be honest.

FX shows first UK broadcast of American Dad
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    On the other point made by the OP, it also irritates me (a lot) when channels don't put a bit in the synopsis saying which series and episode number the relevant episode is, if that makes sense. Sky do it, and SyFy I think, but that's about it. It wouldn't take two seconds to add 'S1, Ep1' to a synopsis, like Sky does with its shows (most of them anyway).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    On the other point made by the OP, it also irritates me (a lot) when channels don't put a bit in the synopsis saying which series and episode number the relevant episode is, if that makes sense. Sky do it, and SyFy I think, but that's about it. It wouldn't take two seconds to add 'S1, Ep1' to a synopsis, like Sky does with its shows (most of them anyway).

The Sky+ app shows the season & episode info for BBC programmes so not sure why its not on the sky guide, possibly a space issue.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem certain that E4 will get Family Guy if the BBC give up the rights. Not necessarily, considering their treatment of The Cleveland Show being moved toward the graveyard slot. E4 generally carries new acquisitions and films until midnight, so don't expect any repeat showings before that time, which will lock out daytime workers from watching the show. Channel 4 has also axed Family Guy before. Don't assume that E4 is a sure thing.

I could personally see it and American Dad being taken up exclusively by FX, placed behind a paywall, a very enticing way to get people to subscribe to Sky.

And if the BBC does shed Family Guy and American Dad, with EastEnders, BBC Three's other big ratings hit, easily available now via BBC iPlayer, it'll be the death of BBC Three. There'll be some who'll be popping champagne corks at that scenario, but I think it will be a devastating blow to PSB for young adults.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Zai Bennet has said the BBC won't renew the rights to new episodes (and it comes up for renewal this year or next), but they keep repeat rights for those shown on the channel. To my knowledge American Dad is a separate deal
    I could personally see it and American Dad being taken up exclusively by FX, placed behind a paywall, a very enticing way to get people to subscribe to Sky.

All the people that would get FX specifically for AD pirate, because a year long wait is pathetic, and if Murdoch wants my money, he should get it out quicker.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zai Bennet has said the BBC won't renew the rights to new episodes (and it comes up for renewal this year or next), but they keep repeat rights for those shown on the channel. To my knowledge American Dad is a separate deal
    Have you got a source for that? The last I'd read was that he said he wouldn't be drawn into a bidding war and pay a hugely inflated price to keep it, not that they wouldn't be renewing the rights.

Infact a quick google search for 'Zai Bennet BBC Three Family Guy' shows this as the main source I think?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If FG goes behind a paywall, I'd just buy the boxsets which I do anyway as they're uncut.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes sense for FX to pick up FG alongside its current AD. Not really Sky content.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Have you got a source for that? The last I'd read was that he said he wouldn't be drawn into a bidding war and pay a hugely inflated price to keep it, not that they wouldn't be renewing the rights.

Infact a quick google search for 'Zai Bennet BBC Three Family Guy' shows this as the main source I think?

From that article:
    Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival today, Bennett told journalists that rights for the popular US animated comedy, which come to an end in two years' time, would not be renewed at "any price".
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »

I know other channels including Universal and the CBS channels do this on some programmes,but not necessairily all of them. SVU on Universal usually has a season and ep number,as did Judging Amy when I watched that on CBS Drama. universal managed to mess up with their showing of Flashpoint when they described season 2 ep 1 as being season 1 ep 14 and ran right up to season 1 ep 35 (which was really the finale of s2) before describing season 3 episodes as being season 2.