Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was wasn't it? :confused:

yes it was :D
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bits of the plot of the next episode given away in the "spoiler" at the end of the programme.
    Apparently, they think "long and hard" about doing this.
    You could've bet money on her obsession with "going above and beyond the call of duty" would get her into trouble with her bosses, so no real harm done, eh?
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,155
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really good but admit her over zealousness for her job was a bit much in the end. What if 2 of her patients had needed her that much at the same time and she's got to realise sometimes you have to be a little less selfless at work or family life suffers, think the writer spoilt it there. Otherwise great and great cast.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,591
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, it's so obvious he has Alzheimer or something, he is obviously confused and holding a knife. So what does she do? Go towards him.
    She was lucky he just slapped her.
    :rolleyes:

That's when I started to :rolleyes: :yawn: Very disappointed and coming across as Superwoman didn't warm me to her.
  • Options
    PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Would a nurse have met the husband (of the pregnant woman) at the airport and rushed him to the hospital? That seemed a bit far-fetched to me but I enjoyed it anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a nurse have met the husband (of the pregnant woman) at the airport and rushed him to the hospital? That seemed a bit far-fetched to me but I enjoyed it anyway.

The mistake is associating this with what should have been suitable for "peak time viewing" it's more in the mold of "The Royal" and similar programmes that should be on in the afternoon or early Sunday evening, when such ridiculous storylines would have been quite acceptable.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, I found this surprisingly watchable. Eve Myles is always good value and it was a good cast generally.

Frankie is way too good to be true of course and I feel really sorry for her b/f, but I found the patient sls interesting and believable. I filled up when the daddy turned up right at the end. :o

Will certainly tune in again next week. :)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    I just saw the announcement of new series Frankie, about a district nurse in Bristol. I wonder if it's going to be a Nurse Jackie rewrite?

My thoughts exactly upon just reading a short precis. I see the Radio Times studiously avoids mentioning NJ anywhere.....

As if I wasn't already predisposed to hate it, it has the lamentable Eve Myles in the lead. It takes a lot to stand-out in the dire Torchwood but she managed it - For all the wrong reasons!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was a good show, maybe a bit far fetched, Eve Myles is a great actress though and someone you immediately see as likeable. Look forward to the next episode
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was happy watching Eva in nurse uniform...oh and will,watch episode 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly upon just reading a short precis. I see the Radio Times studiously avoids mentioning NJ anywhere.....

As if I wasn't already predisposed to hate it, it has the lamentable Eve Myles in the lead. It takes a lot to stand-out in the dire Torchwood but she managed it - For all the wrong reasons!

I thought she was really good in Torchwood.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve is really good!!
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    She looked hot in the red dress and I love it when she came running in to the delivery room and kicked off her shoes!!
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught up with this. I found her really annoying. Talk about a martyr complex :eek: That old boy could have stuck a knife in her. She started to remind me of French and Saunders Stuff and Nonsense women by the end. Why did she have to be there with the pregnant woman who was already in the hospital?
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave this a go because I love Nurse Jackie and thought it would be similair. It's not, but it's not too bad, it was a bit slow to start and I was going to turn off but then I got a little bit hooked and I will definitely watch it next week. The woman who played the old man's daughter is a regular in the shop where I used to work and lives only round the corner from me, she is a very pleasant woman in real life
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit OTT but it kind of started in the middle of stories and the characters were just dumped on the viewers, no slow build up or anything it will possibly slow down a bit so that we see why the characters are what thay are.
    Workaholic Martyr
    Serial cheater boyfriend
    Unrequited love work colleague
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was really good in Torchwood.

Nobody was any good in TW and TW itself was a steaming pile. Thank God it is no more. The last series was an embarassment even by their low standards.

Nurse Frankie got a proper kicking on The Wright Stuff telly review this morning. Deservedly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody was any good in TW and TW itself was a steaming pile. Thank God it is no more. The last series was an embarassment even by their low standards.

Nurse Frankie got a proper kicking on The Wright Stuff telly review this morning. Deservedly.

I can't comment on TW itself as I only watched 1 or 2 episodes, but I did like Eve Myles.
    As for the kicking 'Frankie' got on The Wright Stuff doesn't mean their opinion is worthwhile noting. Still 'one man's meat' and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't comment on TW itself as I only watched 1 or 2 episodes, but I did like Eve Myles.
    As for the kicking 'Frankie' got on The Wright Stuff doesn't mean their opinion is worthwhile noting. Still 'one man's meat' and all that.

FWIW it was a professional telly critic so I'm sure his opinion will be reflected in his newspaper column, ultimately swaying ratings in some small way.

Eve Myles playing Welsh again. What a startling range as an actress she has..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was enjoyable & watchable I thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FWIW it was a professional telly critic so I'm sure his opinion will be reflected in his newspaper column, ultimately swaying ratings in some small way.

Eve Myles playing Welsh again. What a startling range as an actress she has..... :rolleyes:

Professional? oh well why didn't you say that in the first place; I'll eat my hat then :p
    :D
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    It was OK, nowhere near as charming as The Royal. I've set the series to record, the kind of thing I'll watch to veg out but not rush home for.
    The old man's daughter - has that actress ever played a part where she's happy? I've only ever seen her angsty at best.
    And failing to report that he'd hit her - ludicrous.
    Daughter's "I don't want them to take him away" lines were all terribly trite too.
    Yup, could drive a bus through the plot holes - but I quite liked it, and will follow in a desultory way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only hope it doesn't give the impression to some who watch it, that some nurses have the sort of time she seems to have to spend on individual patients.

Half the problem for nurses who are involved in home visits is the time it takes traveling between patients due to traffic congestion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Professional? oh well why didn't you say that in the first place; I'll eat my hat then :p
    :D

Well, presumably his views chime with the readership of the paper he writes for and it has a circulation in the millions so....

And I did say FWIW..
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you hated Torchwood so much, how did you manage to sit through four series? :rolleyes: I thought Torchwood was great - and Children of Earth was a success with the critics :) - though it was very hit and miss during series 1, I'll give you that.